Submitted by Bdubbs987 t3_116uddm in washingtondc

I have an out of state Real ID that I need to change to a DC one. I’ve read some mixed things online on whether I will need to show an original copy of my Social Security Card when I go to the DMV. Does anyone have any recent experience?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Presnancy t1_j98lit5 wrote

Original copy of SS card, original birth certificate, US passport, all utility bills - ever, deed to your house, promise of firstborn child, declaration of independence with wet signatures

heyheyac t1_j98omjj wrote

The DC DMV. Website says you can use a w-2, 1099, or pay statement with you social on in Iieu of your social security card as verification

Bdubbs987 OP t1_j98oz17 wrote

Oh that would be great! Any chance you could link that? I didn’t see that on the website anywhere.

bubbabubba345 t1_j98pa66 wrote

https://dmv.dc.gov/node/1119111

here you go! make sure that if you use rental insurance as proof of address, you use the policy statement/summary, and NOT a bill. Source: I had to argue with the DMV that technically if my renter's insurance bill is mailed to my address, which was my declared address and present on my lease, bank statement, W2, etc, it COULD be for another property. I eventually got the right document but it's always an adventure with them.

elementalseahorse t1_j98p2gx wrote

I got my license about 2 weeks ago and was able to use a W2 that had my full SSN instead of my actual card

TopMagician6574 t1_j98v1w6 wrote

I don’t know the answer to your question but it’s so strange to me that once you have a passport or RealID from any state that you STILL need all the other documents. Why can’t the passport or realID be an authoritative document?

Zeabos t1_j9azpnp wrote

Yeah you need a social security card to get a Passport but it is somehow not proof you have one.

damnatio_memoriae t1_j993a1e wrote

pretty sure i just used my passport and maybe like a utility bill?

nakoros t1_j9afqlq wrote

I think I forgot my SS card when I went. I remember freaking out, since this was back when it was hard to get an appointment, but the guy didn't care. I may have had my passport, though (plus 2 bills showing my address). Honestly, I did this twice and am still confused. The first time I'd just moved (within DC) and thought I needed the real ID so I went in person. She didn't look at any of the documents, but my license had a star on it. The second time I got an email telling me I had to go in, and at the end of the appointment he told me I could have done it online.

way2gimpy t1_j9bh0o6 wrote

Dc dmv (and really all the dmv I’ve been to) requires two things: proof of identity and proof of address. Some jurisdictions are stricter than others, but identification from an accepted source is what they’re looking for. A valid US passport should be acceptable in all US jurisdictions. Just like in most states, military ids and ids from federal agencies are also usually acceptable.

nakoros t1_j9bp9re wrote

Where I was confused was regarding the Real ID requirements, in addition to the usual things. I brought everything (except my SS card the second time), but then was told I didn't need them when I got there, or didn't need to be there in person

Dry-Reality4707 t1_j9amo0q wrote

I just went last week, I just used my lease, passport, and wifi bill. On the application you put your social security number and that's it.

rbur70x7 t1_j9aef5e wrote

Whatever you do don’t use an enhanced ID which is the same as a real ID because the DMV can’t fathom it because it “don’t have the star”.

Smart-Management-670 t1_j9gn4pg wrote

I did not need my social security card but I did need my birth certificate and an approved documentation of my address . It was actually really easy. I lost my SS card a long time ago :/

EastoftheCap t1_j98kui4 wrote

If I recall correctly, I went to the trouble of getting a new ss card and didn’t need it.

kstinfo t1_j99ll18 wrote

If we could only find out as much about 'them' as they want to know about 'us'.

−1