They used the S for Silver Springs

4011 t1_ja6h29b wrote

I blame Stevie Nicks

wtf703 t1_jabecmn wrote

Stevie Nick singing Silver Spring at Farmer & Distiller on Massachusett Ave

dman7456 t1_ja5rtbv wrote

It's just the one street, after all

My_Butt_Is_Scorpions t1_ja60w0u wrote

I don't see the problem. There is, after all, only one Massachusett Avenue here. It's like attorneys general or passersby.

Loki-Don t1_ja7jzub wrote

I’m always amazed at the multiple levels of failure for stuff like this.

Let’s assume the order from DC to the vendor was correct (iffy, but let’s make that assumption).

Then the person at the printer screwed up setting the template. Then the person boxing/shipping screwed up.

Then it got to DPW and the person unboxing didn’t notice, nor did the crew hanging them, or the supervisor managing the crew doing it. I’ve seen miss spelled flags and signs stay up for months until someone tweets it and the city is embarrassed enough to fix it.

At the very minimum, 5 sets of eyes missed this, and DC probably payed a kings ransom to pay for it all.

Embarrassing.

FairHous24 t1_ja8dmtl wrote

That's exactly what I think every time I see a restaurant advertising "we delivery." How many eyes and brains led to the installation of that kind of error on a building?

ndcomeau t1_ja6du24 wrote

As a transplanted Bay Stater, this fills me with incandescent rage.

OneFootTitan t1_ja8oljd wrote

If Massachusett was meant to have an S at the end, then NoMa would be NoMas

KW_ExpatEgg t1_ja6fz7v wrote

Can I propose the idea that the image sent to the print shop was correct, but the margin of the requested banner size cut off the S?

Still, several people failed...

ekkidee t1_ja7iciv wrote

There's only one Massachusett now.

GayRonSwanson t1_ja7xhgb wrote

Not surprising. About 10ish years ago, they swapped out all the street signs to change the font to whatever the new DOT guideline prescribed. People spotted tons of mistakes, from spelling errors to inconsistent capitalization and style.

Getting the details right has never been DC’s strong suit. We have more of a “big idea” leadership style with flawed execution.

blankpageanxiety t1_ja651sp wrote

Oof. The OP plus the thread is very telling of a problem we have here in America.

hahaha

dustizle1 t1_ja5vbfu wrote

Excuse my density, but how is it that they screwed up?

Mountain_Stress176 t1_ja6i4pn wrote

To be fair, I'm from MA and struggle to spell it correctly.

A_Swell_Gaytheist t1_ja6otqh wrote

That stretch of Mass is the border for the Mt Vernon Triangle BID, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the BID paid for it? I think they have a Twitter.

mr_grission OP t1_ja7s2pi wrote

I did email the BID using the form on their site!