Submitted by amatterofland t3_11dfell in washingtondc

Has anyone gone to those events at embassies that aren't organized by the actual embassies? I'm seeing a bunch of events promoted by a company called "Things to Do DC" and am trying to figure out if it's a good use of time and money! Are there any recommendations for companies/events to specifically attend or miss?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

gator_fl t1_ja8dy04 wrote

Those event companies are mostly a terrible way to get to know the embassy and you're paying for okay food. Sometimes awkward scene.

Best to subscribe to mailing lists and get to know embassy staff. They'll invite you to the better events, you'll meet their community and friends and almost always free.

Also their lobbyist entity/"Friends of the Embassy " and other affinity groups if they exist.

Passport DC/Embassy open house coming this May but likely long lines.

amatterofland OP t1_ja8khnh wrote

I was afraid of that - thanks for confirming! And thanks so much for the other recommendations!! Will check those out. Used to love the open houses, but yes, everyone knows about them now!

brooklynbridgewi t1_jab2ale wrote

I’ve heard there’s an email listserv for embassy events like this. Any leads in how to get on this or find the friends of the embassy groups?

gator_fl t1_jabbkr2 wrote

There were a lot more of that pre-covid ( https://www.embassyseries.org/ ) but they almost all shut down. Maybe the Diplomat newspaper.

Just go to embassies of interest's websites and see if they have a mailing list.

Dry_Investigator_639 t1_jaa69rn wrote

Yeah I went to several of the paid events when I came to DC. They vary wildly in quality, and after going to a few of them, they all feel pretty superficial. I wouldn't go to any of them over 30/40 dollars.

SchokoKipferl t1_ja9u7wn wrote

They had an event at the Chinese embassy not so long ago and I think it was definitely worth it only because that embassy is seemingly never open to the public. Also it’s quite a spacious embassy and so there was plenty of room for food, tea, calligraphy, propaganda, etc.

karmagirl314 t1_jaa7jmb wrote

It wouldn’t be an authentic Chinese experience without propaganda.