Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

justmahl t1_j8rok47 wrote

If you're paying attention you would notice that the same rise in crime is happening across the country. I'm pretty sure it's pandemic related but this country doesn't invest enough into mental health research to really dig into that.

OctoberCaddis t1_j8scpjn wrote

The fact that increases in crime are occurring elsewhere by no means requires that we tolerate them here.

There are homeless in other cities, should we abandon all efforts to address the problem in DC?

−2

justmahl t1_j8sfxt7 wrote

Where in my statement did you see me suggest we tolerate it?

My point is that the city is not falling apart and the crime issue is something that if we actually want to address it, versus just looking tough on crime and kicking the can down the road, we need to recognize that there are some commonalities across this country and we should try and start there. But there's very little motivation for that.

From what I see, most of the people complaining just want elected leaders to "look" like they're doing something. They are totally fine with crime existing as long as it's not in front of their doorstep.

joegant t1_j8socph wrote

Really? Haven’t noticed it in NoVA or MD

−3

justmahl t1_j8sz87c wrote

Ahh that solves it. I was waiting to see if you noticed it random person. Must be made up.

joegant t1_j8u27ej wrote

Fairfax has 1.14 million residents DC has just over 670,000

Fairfax had 20 homicides in 2022 DC had 203 homicides

Fairfax also had 20 homicides in 2021 DC had 226

Fairfax had 15 homicides in 2020 DC had 198

Fairfax had 14 homicides in 2019 DC had 166

Look it up…