Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Smart-Management-670 t1_jeb6wmj wrote

I’m a public educator for over 13 years in the district . We work tirelessly to intervene and serve our students and families . We are failed by the city at most ventures . It wasn’t always this bad , but since 2019 things have been going downhill , fast . Specific examples are CFSA screening out actual , provable abuse ( even on camera ). We learned years ago that they’ll be no help , they keep passing the buck back to schools . The reality is that we are not resourced to support all community challenges . MPD and the city also do NOTHING regarding truancy . Do you know how many student we have with a 50% or less attendance rate and absolutely nothing happens to their parents . I vote in every election , support statehood activities where I can and also belong to a community -based service organization. Also support high -stakes senate elections by volunteering for their campaigns . I serve this city well and continue to watch it deteriorate at an alarming rate with ( seemingly ) no action to address any real issues affecting our city.

NPRjunkieDC t1_jeboh83 wrote

In the recent past, I would have said education. I still believe that if we had equal access to good public education, it would make such a difference.

These kids should be in school.
There are also for hire signs everywhere, so I don't see excuses or social factors pushing them into crime .

Must be very difficult being a teacher if so many kids are not interested. You are a role model for those who can and will make use of good teachers

KaleLoverr t1_jefjy1d wrote

Good access to public education does make hell of a difference, but that’s the problem. DC has a disparity in educational opportunities, and beyond education, schools are supposed to be a safe space where children can explore their interests, and a lot of schools lack that. Also, schools teach to a curriculum that often lacks the context and needs of each individual students who come from different backgrounds and home situations that would effect their want and ability to learn.

Also, despite there being for hire signs everywhere, children should not have to work. There are plenty of children who have the privilege to not work and enjoy being a kid. In the hypothetical that a child does get a job, DC minimum wage is 15-16$ which is still not a living wage in DC, and wouldn’t be much to help their family. Also, certain types of crime can seem like a way for children to acquire money faster than a for hire job would.

Sometimes children commit crime because they feel the pressure of poverty from their parents, sometimes it’s because they’re exposed to it in their homes or from their peers. Sometimes children commit crime because they feel like they have nothing to live for because low income status can do that to people. Sometimes children are literally being neglected, and feel that indulging in crime will get them the attention they want and need, even if it’s very negative. Not saying that committing crime is okay or acceptable, just saying that there are indeed social and environmental factors that would push them into it.

School should be more than education, and children are interested, but it’s important to understand the needs of each individual student, which is hard to do when teaching a class of 20+. This is where social workers, maybe mandatory after school programs, extra curricular, mentors, and more, play an important role in making children interested, ensuring that they feel cared for, and providing an outlet from difficult home situations.

NPRjunkieDC t1_jefm87m wrote

But children that harass on the metro or that threw a woman off a bus when she asked them not to be so loud ?

This shows a dangerous attitude that I can't see how they are pushed to this .

Unfortunately, some very rich have tried to help with education, but it's not enough when the situation at home is not very enriching .

The city has a voucher program for housing that you would think could help young families or single moms to live in NW with good schools . But who gets these vouchers ? Unemployed recently homeless many times with mental issues

sagarnola89 t1_jeeu0sw wrote

This is going to be unpopular, but I also blame parents for glorifying working from home. Kids look up to their parents as role models. Every day as a kid, I proudly watched my dad put on his work clothes and go to work in the morning. That helped motivate me to put on my school clothes (which back then wasn't pajama pants) and go to school in the morning. Now, if kids watch their parents sitting in their pajamas at home for work, it can be hard to feel motivated to go in-person to school every day. I'm not surprised that truancy rates are increasing.