Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

digitall565 t1_je6397e wrote

I can't speak to NYC and Chicago but I feel like DC and Boston are pretty neck and neck when it comes to transportation, with DC maybe even slightly ahead. The combined metro and bus system in DC is pretty robust in terms of reach.

[deleted] t1_je6cxbm wrote

DC metro is also way cleaner. Like the dirtiest metro station I have ever been is cleaner than the cleanest NYC subway station.

DfcukinLite t1_je6olml wrote

The NYC metro has about a hundred years on DC and stations of varying ages/grit. City’s are gritty, especially old east coast cities.

Desertortoise t1_je6onpq wrote

I mean, sure, but Metro ridership is less than 1/10 of New York’s, according to pre-pandemic figures. Personally I’d opt for the functional but dirty system, but that’s just me.

UD88 t1_je8ch4u wrote

You wait in those stations for at most 1-2 minutes though. The sheer number of trains running is a game changer and makes getting around up there a lot easier than in DC

[deleted] t1_je8ecm0 wrote

For sure, don't disagree, just saying Metro is WAY cleaner

UD88 t1_je8fa8c wrote

I mostly agree with this…though metro center and gallery place can get to that nyc level.

zed910 t1_je6f0qs wrote

Boston is actually number 2 in the country for annual transit ridership per track mile (a distant 2 behind NYC).

dwalls90 t1_je7lbi8 wrote

Boston residents definitely love the T. However, as someone who has lived in both Boston and DC, the metro is much cleaner, faster, and overall more efficient.