Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

eponinesflowers t1_je38sey wrote

For the record, I work for an anti-trafficking nonprofit and DC doesn’t have a very high rate of reported trafficking cases in comparison with other states (source). Also, sex traffickers tend to build a relationship with the potential victim and then force them into sex work using a variety of coercion tactics. While there are cases of people being kidnapped off the streets and forced into a trafficking situation, the statistics show that it is not common.

It’s absolutely awful that this happened to OP, and I imagine that it was scary and traumatic. But there is unfortunately a lot of misinformation about trafficking, which it makes it more difficult for victims and survivors to recognize when they’re experiencing it

John_Mason t1_je3dvqi wrote

Thanks for sharing that link. Your statement “in comparison with other states” makes me wonder if the city of DC is being compared to entire other states. Do you by chance know how it compares to comparable cities like NYC, Miami, Boston, LA, or San Francisco?

eponinesflowers t1_je4po2m wrote

I don’t, unfortunately. The issue is that a lot of the city statistics focus on number of cases per capita, but DC has a smaller population in the city than most of the comparable cities, which makes the rate of trafficking look higher.

Speaking from personal experience, I’ve noticed that the most prevalent areas for trafficking in the U.S. are California (LA/SF), Florida (Miami/Orlando), New York (NYC), and Texas (Austin/Dallas)