Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

internet_emporium OP t1_iskejnq wrote

I mean, I spend most my time on DuPont.. so people can really make their way from MD all the way across to DuPont without a single cop saying anything :/

dc_co t1_iskeqpb wrote

The authority to stop people has been removed from the police.

Read more here: https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/illegal-atvs-go-unpunished-in-dc-due-to-police-no-chase-policy/1952749/

That article is from 2013. It's been rampant here a while.

internet_emporium OP t1_iskfce4 wrote

“They’re illegal but the department has a no chase policy” …. Nice lol

−3

veloharris t1_iskgoso wrote

Chasing someone for a traffic infraction is rarely worth the potential collateral damage.

bubbabubba345 t1_iskhs2f wrote

Yes because chasing a dirt bike at 30+ mph in cop car through populated city streets is almost guaranteed to cause an accident or run more people over. Often times it’s better to just let them have fun and ride around, as chasing leads to more harm than good. On the same note, they would never catch them.

NorseTikiBar t1_isko5uk wrote

Yeah, it's kinda weird to me that these people always seem to forget how quickly these bikes accelerate compared to cars, especially when you throw in a city grid system full of turns.

internet_emporium OP t1_isknpke wrote

there’s a lot of fun things that are against the law… that’s not a good reason to let them get away with it

bubbabubba345 t1_isksrw5 wrote

The reason to “let them get away with it” is exactly that, and it doesn’t endorse the cause either. As I said, chasing dirt bikes through the city would almost certainly result in injuries/deaths of bystanders (BECAUSE of the chase), and, there’s like a less than 1% chance that anyone actually gets caught because the maze of alleys and streets that DC is made up of.

Personally, I’d prefer to enjoy the show from my balcony every now and live my life.

internet_emporium OP t1_iskt85a wrote

Well whatever, as an avid artist myself I will come graffiti your building since it doesn’t hurt anyone and I will have a blast while doing it… might cover a couple windows, but it’s chill, cuz I’ll be having fun

bubbabubba345 t1_iskvvjs wrote

I mean if you wanna endorse high speed chases in densely populated neighborhoods, go for it. Just explaining to you the reason about why MPD doesn’t chase under most circumstances…

Sparqman t1_isl30mj wrote

In this analogy, does attempting to stop you from graffitiing run the risk of shattering the all the windows and hurting the people inside the building?

internet_emporium OP t1_isl3cyo wrote

No but now that you mention it shattering windows does sound pretty fun too.. I’ll just make sure nobody is behind them so they don’t get hurt. Win win.

NorseTikiBar t1_isknz91 wrote

> complains about dirt bikes on roads in densely populated areas

> complains about a no-chase policy and instead wants high-speed chases in densely populated areas

Typical.

veloharris t1_iskgjce wrote

Not sure it's worth racking your head over how they get here. You can get to DC from parts of Maryland without going on the highway etc. You can also come from less dense parts of DC, you can also put the bikes on trailers and drive in.