Submitted by Richg420 t3_ycypbg in washingtondc

So I visited DC two weeks ago with the family and had a blast for the weekend. Got a lovely $100 fine for speed cam violation. Going 36 in a 25 on K st. NW 2200 block. Pisses me off because I was very aware of them and saw the signs and got the warning from the Waze app and felt like I was pretty vigilant and being careful and flowing safely with fairly busy traffic. I mean I don't remember exactly where it happened but dammit I was being cautious. I guess why I'm posting here is to ask is it worth contesting? I mean I'm clearly in the wrong but as far as I can tell there is a 10 mph Grace window so with that logic I was only one mile per hour over. Anyone ever had any success getting these thrown out? I mean I'll pay it if I have to and suck it up it just sucks.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

roadnotaken t1_itpg7mi wrote

You were speeding. Pay your ticket.

DemureCynosure t1_itpgf5k wrote

The 10mph is your "grace period" for contesting to account for camera error, accidentally speeding up during lane changes, etc. 11mph just pay it.

It sucks, but that's the whole point. It's supposed to suck to keep you from doing it again.

IcyWillow1193 t1_itpka3x wrote

>there is a 10 mph Grace window so with that logic I was only one mile per hour over.

So you're trying to argue that the grace window needs a grace window? Come on. Be an adult, stop whining, and pay your ticket.

88138813 t1_itpkuig wrote

To be fair, you can not pay it and absolutely nothing will happen. Cars with $1,000s in tickets roam the DC streets freely every single day.

−3

Rscaroll t1_itqfn5s wrote

If there are multiple vehicles in the radar beam it's worth contesting.

−1

jestervalen t1_itscu4g wrote

Out of state? Don’t pay. People on this sub have an irrational amount of hate towards drivers. Every driver ever has gone 11 over at some point so I don’t cast a stone. Just don’t get caught parking on public streets in dc with that car and you’ll never have to worry about it.

−1

pomegranatecloud t1_itt00s4 wrote

So you were speeding, you admit you were speeding, even got warned in the Waze app, and somehow think it’s unfair you got a ticket for breaking the rules because in your opinion you didn’t go as fast as you could. Wow.

Richg420 OP t1_itt57nj wrote

Damn you guys are cut throat. 36 is hardly speeding. I was in an unfamiliar area safely flowing with traffic with plenty of other cars around me clearly seen in the photograph. I'm from an area where these speed cams aren't a thing and it just feels pretty shady to me. I was truly being as careful and as vigilant as I could be. So if you don't want to give me the benefit of the doubt on that then wow to you too.

−4

pomegranatecloud t1_itt6smv wrote

36 is speeding if it was above the speed limit, which you’ve already stated was 25. 11 over isn’t barely speeding. Make excuses all you want for why you failed to follow the law, including that you only kinda sorta broke it but barely or that where you live you can break the law with impunity if it makes you feel better. It’s shady that you got caught breaking the law and punished for doing so? 🤣 Your lack of personal responsibility for your actions is only a reflection on you and the type of person you are. Stop pretending you’re the victim here.

Ninjroid t1_ituhpdz wrote

There is zero risk if you’re from out of town. Just don’t pay it. You can even come back - they won’t boot until you have two or more unpaid tickets.

Richg420 OP t1_itvrxd9 wrote

Thank you for this comment. Didn't realize there was going to be a bunch of holier than thou drivers on this sub. I freaking drive for a living I deliver pizza and I haven't had a moving violation in 20 years so that's why this irks me because I am a careful driver and pretty much never "speed". Apparently to some on here 36mph is dangerously barreling down the highway. I'll pay it because I do plan to return since it's my favorite city within a reasonable driving distance from north east pa. Way better than NYC or Philly imo.