Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Hot-Half3334 t1_j1s0fdd wrote

I just moved and while I was looking I called (call them if possible) the following places and was put in contact with real leasing managers:

Union Place in NoMa Revel in NoMa Senate Square in NoMa/ H Street corridor The Apollo on H Street Corridor Cielo in NoMa

I used to live in Stationhouse and while it is pricey, they definitely have good customer service. I don't know if it would be in your budget for a one bedroom though. Most of the places above were junior one bedrooms. Union Place is absolutely within your price range and does have windows but is a junior. All of these places had windows FYI.

I think some of these places offer video tours. But I agree that in DC you MUST see it in person. I know you're dealing with a tight timeline, but I would not move sight unseen into a flat here.

m2199 OP t1_j1s33y7 wrote

I’ve been looking at the Apollo and I really love it. I will say I was a bit turned off by the news coverage about crime on H Street Corridor. I know a lot of that can be hysteria but it did seem like there was something to it.

Hot-Half3334 t1_j1s3ey8 wrote

I've lived on the H Street Corridor for around 2 years and it's not affected me personally nor any of my friends around here.

But I don't have a car and I feel like I'd be more worried about it if I did. I would not say crime is restricted to any part of the city though I may get some hate for saying that. People in Northwest DC also get carjacked or have their cars stolen. 🤷🏻‍♀️

toorigged2fail t1_j1xajc0 wrote

Exactly. Personal experience plays into it so much. I know no one who's had an issue on H, but two separate friends robbed at gunpoint in Navy Yard.

starshine1988 t1_j1s6bln wrote

Sounds like you’re tied to more urban, luxury buildings- If you really can’t get any time to tour personally before you arrive l, I’d definitely suggest finding someone who you could pay to look in person on your behalf, or contact buildings in more quiet areas which tend to have leasing offices that care a scootch more about prospective tenants.

Honestly staying in a hotel or short term rental while you look for yourself before committing to anything is going to pay dividends

m2199 OP t1_j1s6iqd wrote

I will be in DC Jan 2-4 and could reasonably decide one of those days to just do tours. But with their current responsiveness I wasn’t sure it’d be possible to jam them all in there.

starshine1988 t1_j1s6qbb wrote

Ah yeah I think because of the holiday season it will be tough to schedule now, but when you’re here in person you’ll get more responsiveness.

msitty1 t1_j1tkp25 wrote

I used to live in the Apollo. The building itself is nice (I still miss having a coffee shop in my building). The neighborhood is “eh”. Has a few fun nightlife spots and decent restaurants and great grocery options, but it’s a pain to get to the metro/other neighborhoods and can feel unsafe occasionally (especially late at night when not a lot of people are out/about). And other neighborhoods have much more expansive food options and more parks.