Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

rachs1988 t1_j0nxwy4 wrote

With any new ethnic restaurant, I like to look up the menu online to get a general sense of what to expect. If things are difficult to decipher, I can Google search certain dishes and see the ingredients and photos. But the most important part is talking to your server. Ask what they recommend and what their most popular dishes are. Tell them your preferences and ask if they can adjust the spice level. Servers will make great recommendations and will steer you in the right direction.

That said, your question is way too broad given ALL the ethnic cuisines that exist in this city. There are too many great restaurants to list. Can you at least narrow it to a continent?

puregoldenhoney OP t1_j0nyh9s wrote

Thank you for this advice! I always felt too nervous to ask for things to not be made spicy or like it was a faux pas of some sort haha As for specific continent, I’ll have to give that more thought because I’m kind of interested in just diving right in and trying anything! Thanks again and I’ll update with any preferences I may come across!

rachs1988 t1_j0o1qpb wrote

You’re welcome! And to add… It’s ok to go in and say, “This all is new to me and I have no clue what I’m doing. Can you help me navigate this menu?” Just be honest and they’ll take care of you. Ask follow up questions to learn more about the dish, like “Is that fried?” Or “It sounds like that’s more of a broth-based dish, right?” That way, you’ll have fewer surprises. And remember to tip generously for those who help you on your culinary journey!