Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

puttinonthefoil t1_j054djt wrote

This is John’s Roast Pork erasure and I simply will not stand for it, sir or madam.

Xeynon t1_j07d1we wrote

Seconded. Rick's in the Reading Terminal Market is another good one, and there are other places scattered around town that blow Pat's and Geno's away. Of the touristy places Jim's on South Street (currently closed because of a fire that damaged it this past summer) is the best.

Also as a Philly native, I will say that while cheesesteaks are awesome, real Philadelphians know that the roast pork sandwich with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe might be even better. It's called "John's Roast Pork" and not "John's Cheesesteaks" for a reason.

puttinonthefoil t1_j07m79u wrote

Yeah, those are all good. The above guy mentioned ishkabibbles, and their chicken cheesesteak used to be made with fresh chicken as opposed to the frozen sheets most places use. No idea if that’s still true, but it was awesome back in the day.

throws_rocks_at_cars t1_j054i77 wrote

The least accessible one in the city. Might as well be on the moon, brother. I only had the roast pork from there and it was bussin

pgm123 t1_j07afs4 wrote

And they close earlier. It usually goes until they run out of rolls in the early afternoon.

puttinonthefoil t1_j055vr8 wrote

Tastes all the better for its absurd location, imo. I once drove and got there 10 mins before close and got the last rolls in the place. Felt like a miracle.