Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

walliewasright42o t1_j1xc0qs wrote

Goethe institut is a great place to research if you want to find german speakers

BloatedGlobe t1_j1xfabp wrote

Alliance Française is great for French classes/ events.

Themastershake911 t1_j1xbvnb wrote

My wife really likes compass coffee near tenleytown

Seppafer t1_j1xc8du wrote

I wouldn’t really know many coffee shops but there are a number of them in the area especially brand name places and franchises. Also you have asked the eternal question that plagues this subreddit. How to make friends. For the most part your best bet is either your study classes or to do casual sports leagues like kickball or some other sport.

KerPop42 t1_j1xcrvk wrote

The best way I've made friends so far is through existing friends.

After that, Meetup roulette? Especially generic groups, like groups that go on walks or play board games, since it gives you a chance to talk to a lot of people.

Best coffee I've had so far has been near the eastern exit of Stadium-armory metro stop. I forget the name, but they have great oat milk lattes :)

Droopy_moops t1_j1xay21 wrote

There are some nice coffee spots in Georgetown on Wisconsin Ave. Cafe Georgetown is a kooky little place with interesting coffee options, though it's pricey. There's a Turkish cafe next to the starbucks too.

​

Making friends... I'd say that's a bit tough. I was blessed with a network from grad school but in my experience it's been difficult to break out and make new friends here. I've heard it said that in DC a common phrase is "you want a friend, get a dog." I really hope next year proves that wrong.

For French and German, I know the German Embassy hosts events for German speakers. For French, try Meetup, they have plenty of language groups.

Hope this helps.