Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

butteredfields OP t1_j6n8t2h wrote

For the sake of archiving information and holding structural powers accountable to their words, below is Mason & Green’s now-deleted reply to this post (i took a screenshot of the original):

“As the owner of the store, I sincerely apologize for your experience. Our store is built around helping people and the planet, and as such we have no tolerance of racism, period. Our employees do not profile or take any sort of approach like this for loss prevention, we do not believe this achieves anything. As a customer, you may not know that our employees like to make themselves available to answer any questions. We have many products people haven't seen before, and naturally people have questions. We like for the staff to not be pushy. We have employees who are in high school, and some who are retired, from all backgrounds and walks of life, and we wouldn't have it any other way. In your post on Google you mentioned "lower employees." At Mason & Greens we don't call people "lower." You also thought the employee could have been the manager, this is not the case, as the manage is a Navajo woman in her early 20's. Here you assume it is one of the owners, it is not, Anna & I do not fit your description. In a perfect world people would not make assumptions or judgements. People would not be so quick to think a nice gentleman watching birds in a park was up to no good. People would not be so quick to call someone, who some may think is awkward, biased or a racist, when she was just there to help. Again, apologies for your experience, you are more than welcome to get in touch anytime to discuss what's on your mind.”

Edit: Here is the thread in response to this comment: https://www.reddit.com/r/washingtondc/comments/10phd6e/comment/j6kzx0l/?context=3

Professional-Can1385 t1_j6o6khk wrote

>I sincerely apologize for your experience.

But let me completely invalidate your experience and compare you to the lady who called the cops on a guy for no reason.

A sincere apology would acknowledge your experience and at least give lip service to reassessing store practices. Completely tone deaf and insulting.

Not a place I will shop.

cainImagining t1_j6nf1da wrote

Ugh, this makes me so sad. I'm sorry. I get cringy gaslighting vibes from the owner's response.
I feel like the response I expect would be more like, "Dang, I know who you're talking about. We'll talk to that person and assess their continued employment. We really want you here, so here's some free stuff for your trouble."

Not "Actually, no, uh, we're super not racist, but also, that couldn't have been us! That lady, who, again, was not an owner but who is definitely employed by us, was just trying to be nice! But I guess you wouldn't know about that. Look who's the racist now!"

dynospectrum7 t1_j6ovgqz wrote

Damn, really tried to pull the old nyc bird watcher comparison.

starshine1988 t1_j6pi3qy wrote

That’s a ridiculous response! You’d think a store with these values would know better than to invalidate your experience.