Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

PikachuThug t1_j6jt5b3 wrote

there is no hassle, pay for TSA precheck and CLEAR. if i have a flight at 2pm at DCA i enter the airport at 1:35ish and clear security in 3 mins allowing me ample time to make flight. flights costs $120-$160 depending of fluctuating fuel costs and that’s for round trip.

why take the Acela when you’re paying $300+ round trip and he would have to hike from Crystal City to Union Station paying Uber fees or metro?

not only is flying faster but it’s more economical

UnusualAd6529 t1_j6jvykr wrote

Crystal city is connected to Union Station via the metro. A North East Regional ticket costs $31 if booked regularly and a few weeks out. Not to mention his job is probably in Manhattan which is a 20min subway ride from Penn station where Amtrak will drop you as opposed to JFK which is probably 1-1.5hrs from Manhattan. An Uber from JFK to Manhattan at peak commuting hours will easily be $80-$100.

You can get to Union at 1:55pm for a train that leaves at 2:00pm because there is no security or lines whatsoever even to check a bag. You have the right to 5 checked bags with any ticket not to mention free wifi and cellphone signal the entire ride.

Oh also a seat on an Amtrak train is the size of a first class seat on a flight and reclines by 35°

There are plenty of use cases where planes beat trains but the North East corridor just isn't one.

PikachuThug t1_j6k2ve1 wrote

let's us do the math here to see which is quicker since you have a lot of fallacies in your stance.... controls: he lives in Crystal City, he'll buy tickets for both Flying and Amtrak in advance

Flying: walks to DCA (assuming 10 mins) 25 mins before LGA flight> gets on flight and flies out (25 mins to clear pre-flight/security + actual flight time of 45 mins=70 mins)> lands and takes 10 mins to deboard plane and get on Subway to go to his exact location which takes 42 mins (Google Maps LGA to Columbus Circle) total time to reach Columbus Circle: 2 hrs 12 mins

Amtrak: from Crystal City he takes the Metro (i'm even assuming he lives right next to the Metro) to Union Station (30 mins travel time according to Google Maps) 5 mins before it leaves>departs in the non-Acela (since u cited it as being $31/one way) which averages 3 hrs 20 mins>gets off Amtrak and transition to Subway from Penn Station to Columbus Circle which is 9 mins total time to reach Columbus Circle: 4 hrs 4 mins

Conclusion: flying is 1 hr 52 mins faster than the Amtrak, even if he took the Acela that'll only subtract 30-40 mins at best off the time depending on which Acela time he chooses. Price Analysis: Flying: free to walk to DCA + $108 roundtrip flight (just checked American Airlines flights DCA2LGA) + Subway ticket $2.75= $110.75. Amtrak: Metro to Union Station ($2.75)+ two Amtrak coach tickets at $31/each way ($62 total)+$2.75 subway ticket from Penn Station= $67.5. Amtrak coach is cheaper but at a cost of almost 2 hrs one way in life time. Multiple his hourly wage by X2 to account for value of time and Flying wins hands down. Amtrak Acela would exceed the overall cost of Flying too.

Seat size doesn't matter when you're on a 40 min flight. In addition, the accrued flying miles he gains can be used for vacation. What other ridiculous assertions do you have for me?