Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

PanAmargo t1_j6j6ifz wrote

Have you thought about negotiating, instead, one week in person and three remote, as opposed to one day a week in person and three days remote. Why do they want you in person one day a week? Seems likely for some nebulous relationship building as opposed to legitimate work reasons, right?

hexesforurexes t1_j6jotsf wrote

That would leave his partner to be the primary parent. Rough stuff.

PanAmargo t1_j6kpnwz wrote

Lots of people travel for work. Not that new. And would be more efficient and sustainable in the long run to have dad not running himself ragged doing 15 hours of travel a week.

hexesforurexes t1_j6l279r wrote

If they could afford a nanny maybe? I’m assuming OP isn’t rich and that their partner isn’t a stay at home parent. I don’t think it’s fair that the other parent should run themselves ragged for an ENTIRE WEEK instead.

PanAmargo t1_j6l3eyq wrote

Such a weird take. Lots of people travel for work or have to be gone for awhile. And people make do. There’s also something called single parents. If OP is making a large chunk more money it could be super helpful for the family financially. Daddy being gone 3 - 4 nights a month is very doable if the financial reward is worth it.

descartes127 t1_j6ja0vg wrote

Acela is the move. No security/bag check. But yeah this commute sucks and drains you. good luck!

throws_rocks_at_cars t1_j6jufc9 wrote

I would argue that it could be sustainable for maybe six months if he used only Acela and time spent on the train counted as time in-person.

So 3.5 hours to the NY office, 30 minutes face time with the boss, 3.5 hours back to DC, boom, one full work day.

gutterbrain73 t1_j6jbpde wrote

No way in hell should anyone accept this.

Pipes_of_Pan t1_j6jf21e wrote

My advice is that this sort of thing is much easier when you’re earlier in your life journey and career. It’s fun in some ways but the travel will wear on you. I spent a few years flying in and out of different cities for meetings and the logistics are very difficult. I am very glad I don’t do that anymore. That said, you get to experience two cities with the same job.

I have had colleagues with similar arrangements and they seemed to be constantly coordinating pet sitters, child care, but if that’s not where you are, that’s not an issue. Being out of town a lot is hard on your partner, kids and pets.

I would push a little bit to see what the job flexibilities are, like if you could do one week in person, three at home and stuff like that. I’m sure they have other employees doing similar things.

Regarding plane or train, I would personally take the Acela because you can walk around en route, the internet is ok so you can do work (but not video calls), and don’t have to check bags. You walk on, walk off. The airport is a drag and it’s a lot of logistics just to get from the airport in NYC to your office.

Good luck!

UD88 t1_j6j7sor wrote

If I were to do this, I would take the Acela. Flying into an NYC airport and then commuting in for some reason has always sucked. Though haven't done it in a few years so not sure what has changed. Acela into Penn Station is just easier imo. Either way it's a hell of a commute, and a lot of time in transit.

TastyLemonzzz t1_j6j88xg wrote

I'm not saying this is going to be the case, but be aware that the day or two a week in office may turn into three or more days a week, depending on how low on the totem pole you are.

I actually moved to DC from NYC for work after trying to commute for a week. It absolutely was not worth the extra stress to tack on an extra 7+ hours of travel time per week, considering all the potential pitfalls of delays or oversleeping. I was thinking the same as you, that I could make it worthwhile through frequent traveler/hotel bonuses. Ultimately, the cost of staying + commuting vs moving was about even, but I had way less free time.

JadedMcGrath t1_j6jclze wrote

I was a super commuter in my early 20s. I loved it...because I was in my early 20s. I never shelled out the money for an airline ticket and my work travel stipend only worked for Amtrak and subway.

I can't imagine doing it now at 40.

Pro - I did get a lot of work or sleeping done in the quiet car

Con - getting off work at 4 or 5 pm with an impending 3-hour commute in my future. Add in snow, rain, or obscenely hot weather and the commute was enough to make me want to stab my eyeballs out. Those were the only days I hated doing the commute.

I looked for a new job when my position shifted to needing me in NYC 3 days a week from 1 day a week. That 3 days bled into 4 and that was a hard no by the time I was nearing age 26 or 27.

I may have felt differently if my commute included a hotel. It did not unless a blizzard happened and transit shut down. If I had to be in the office M-W, I had to make that commute up and back each day or pay OOP for a hotel.

Seppafer t1_j6jd7v6 wrote

My dad did this for a couple years. If the job itself and his boss weren’t so bad he’d have been there longer. Iirc he would sometimes take the Acela but that the north east regional was less than half the price for only and extra hour on the commute the Acela can take around 2 hours 30 mins while the north east regional from what I’ve seen takes around 3 hours 30 mins. If this is gonna be a weekly thing I’d recommend you take that to save some money in the long term. Unless you can get the company to pay for your trip also it’s 100% easier to make a train commute productive if you want instead of on a plane.

Also as a side note the Amtrak lines from DC to NYC are electrified meaning your commute via train is immensely more environmentally friendly than a plane with less personal hassles than you would get going through an airport.

Corianderchi t1_j6jjdjg wrote

Unless they are paying you 7 figures, I wouldn't even consider attempting this. The mental toll of having to travel to NYC once a week will be extremely tough. Especially if you have a family.

Milazzo t1_j6jkekj wrote

Just because I don't see it - heads up that New York residency requirement is 183 days. You might be looking at much higher taxes than VA.

SSSS_car_go t1_j6jgbw5 wrote

This is a minor point, but Amtrak arrives/departs from the Moynihan Train Hall now, not Penn. It’s a much nicer place to wait, and only passengers with that day’s ticket are allowed in the waiting area. It’s across the street from Penn.

As for length of the trip, Acela was under 3 hours each way when I did it in December. I love trains and would love an excuse to ride once a week but it would probably get old fast.

PikachuThug t1_j6jheg3 wrote

a flight from DCA to JFK or LGA is 39-43 mins in air not 90 mins. I’ve taken this flight 27 times now. the key is to pay for TSA Precheck and CLEAR to minimize time at airport

UnusualAd6529 t1_j6jry5m wrote

The thought of going through an airport hassle on a weekly basis makes me I'll.

Why do this when the train is less time door to door and cheaper and infinitely better for the environment

PikachuThug t1_j6jt5b3 wrote

there is no hassle, pay for TSA precheck and CLEAR. if i have a flight at 2pm at DCA i enter the airport at 1:35ish and clear security in 3 mins allowing me ample time to make flight. flights costs $120-$160 depending of fluctuating fuel costs and that’s for round trip.

why take the Acela when you’re paying $300+ round trip and he would have to hike from Crystal City to Union Station paying Uber fees or metro?

not only is flying faster but it’s more economical

UnusualAd6529 t1_j6jvykr wrote

Crystal city is connected to Union Station via the metro. A North East Regional ticket costs $31 if booked regularly and a few weeks out. Not to mention his job is probably in Manhattan which is a 20min subway ride from Penn station where Amtrak will drop you as opposed to JFK which is probably 1-1.5hrs from Manhattan. An Uber from JFK to Manhattan at peak commuting hours will easily be $80-$100.

You can get to Union at 1:55pm for a train that leaves at 2:00pm because there is no security or lines whatsoever even to check a bag. You have the right to 5 checked bags with any ticket not to mention free wifi and cellphone signal the entire ride.

Oh also a seat on an Amtrak train is the size of a first class seat on a flight and reclines by 35°

There are plenty of use cases where planes beat trains but the North East corridor just isn't one.

PikachuThug t1_j6k2ve1 wrote

let's us do the math here to see which is quicker since you have a lot of fallacies in your stance.... controls: he lives in Crystal City, he'll buy tickets for both Flying and Amtrak in advance

Flying: walks to DCA (assuming 10 mins) 25 mins before LGA flight> gets on flight and flies out (25 mins to clear pre-flight/security + actual flight time of 45 mins=70 mins)> lands and takes 10 mins to deboard plane and get on Subway to go to his exact location which takes 42 mins (Google Maps LGA to Columbus Circle) total time to reach Columbus Circle: 2 hrs 12 mins

Amtrak: from Crystal City he takes the Metro (i'm even assuming he lives right next to the Metro) to Union Station (30 mins travel time according to Google Maps) 5 mins before it leaves>departs in the non-Acela (since u cited it as being $31/one way) which averages 3 hrs 20 mins>gets off Amtrak and transition to Subway from Penn Station to Columbus Circle which is 9 mins total time to reach Columbus Circle: 4 hrs 4 mins

Conclusion: flying is 1 hr 52 mins faster than the Amtrak, even if he took the Acela that'll only subtract 30-40 mins at best off the time depending on which Acela time he chooses. Price Analysis: Flying: free to walk to DCA + $108 roundtrip flight (just checked American Airlines flights DCA2LGA) + Subway ticket $2.75= $110.75. Amtrak: Metro to Union Station ($2.75)+ two Amtrak coach tickets at $31/each way ($62 total)+$2.75 subway ticket from Penn Station= $67.5. Amtrak coach is cheaper but at a cost of almost 2 hrs one way in life time. Multiple his hourly wage by X2 to account for value of time and Flying wins hands down. Amtrak Acela would exceed the overall cost of Flying too.

Seat size doesn't matter when you're on a 40 min flight. In addition, the accrued flying miles he gains can be used for vacation. What other ridiculous assertions do you have for me?

BansheeLoveTriangle t1_j6jiy8r wrote

I’d be concerned with them rug pulling once you start and requiring full on site

overnighttoast t1_j6jeos5 wrote

My mom did this when I was in HS, her office also is by Columbus Circle but back then she would take the Chinatown Bus and eventually Bolt. The overall work experience was fine but her home life got chaotic very quickly. She never knew where anything was, did she leave it in NY or was it in DC. She would leave Tuesday morning and come back Thursday night. She doesn't not recommend it if you absolutely love DC, which was her rationale, but it weighs on you. If you're not staying overnight I imagine some of that is mitigated since you always come back home.

veloharris t1_j6jj43d wrote

Who is paying for the commuting? If they're covering it Acela and a convenient hotel is perfect. If you're paying you should see if you can do the one week on three week of option that others mentioned. Additionally is the day you'd have to be there set? Can it be dependent on the cheapest train tickets. Lastly, you do not want to commute by plane that'll get old quick.

imref t1_j6jlzlm wrote

i've never done that kind of commute, but I have traveled a fair amount between DC and NYC for work. Acela is definitely the way to go if they will pay for it. On average, it's about 2:45 between NY and DC assuming no issues (and there are frequently issues). It's comfortable, fairly clean, and Wi-Fi is passable. There are clubs at both Union and the new Moynihan station in NY that you would probably want to join until you have status. Food options are pretty limited at Moynihan but there is a fantastic pizza place on the street next door. Union is a pretty dingy place with few food options.

I've done a couple of stretches in which i've gone to NYC weekly for a few weeks and it's exhausting. I can't imagine doing it regularly.

WontStopAtSigns t1_j6jdtlb wrote

This is totally do-able. Hell now I want a job like that. I'd love to be in NYC 4x a month.. First, I think a very early bus is your best bet, and I would try to find one closer. I think one leaves out of Roslyn. The train is amazing, but the prices can be prohibitive if you aren't scheduled well in advance.

Again though, it's going to be easier for you to leave from King St. than Union Station. It's an easy bike ride even.

rhjk14 t1_j6jupup wrote

Wouldn’t you still have to wait 40 mins at union Anyway to switch locomotives?

WontStopAtSigns t1_j6jvb7z wrote

It's a lot easier to get to King St than Union. Sitting on the train is more convenient.

Appropriate-Bed-8413 t1_j6jftyz wrote

Train travel is a lot less of a hassle than plane travel. You can get a lot of stuff done on a 3 hr plane ride, read a book, watch a movie, etc. Easy access to bathroom, food, drinks, etc. Veey doable. Plane commute would be brutal.

rejecttheHo t1_j6jsdp7 wrote

Would your work pay for these accomodations?

A round trip on the Acela is about $250. A hotel in midtown is another $200 or so. That's $450 a week. In the long run you would start to get discounts as you rack up membership points.

Not to mention the drag of doing this. I go to NY a fair amount for work and will spend a few nights in NY once a month or so and even that kind of sucks.

Evaderofdoom t1_j6jvc7m wrote

I had a good friend do something like that for awhile and it was tremendously exhausting. It was for a really good job and ultimately he made it work but he was so visibly depleted when I saw him. Eventually he started renting a room in NYC and just coming back on weekends, then just staying up full time till they eventually opened an office in DC and he came back. You may have to pick DC or NYC cause it could start as one or two days and escalate, or things get busy, what happens if you miss a train...Its easy for them to say one or two days now, but be prepared for that to change as time goes on.

ta112233 t1_j6jwg29 wrote

They would literally have to pay me at least $300k to do this. And then I’d do it for a year and quit. Sounds miserable.

meditation_account t1_j6j9wir wrote

I have a friend that commutes to NYC about once a month and she flies out of DCA.

resdivinae t1_j6jdzjb wrote

Sorry but 6+ hours a day commuting, even if it is just once or twice a week, seems like it would get old quick. Will your job even pay for the train tickets? Acela isn't cheap.

keyjan t1_j6jf7th wrote

Sounds like OP will go up one day, stay overnight and come back the next.

GinGimlet t1_j6jj4zn wrote

Wow. Are you me?!? Because I am in this exact position lol the pay increase would be huge but I don't know if the commute would be worth it

sadmium t1_j6joeh7 wrote

WHOA are they covering commute? Because otherwise that’s MINIMUM $100 each way, last time I checked

Offal t1_j6jq395 wrote

Hopefully you're able to expense this, but I'd opt for the Acela - chill ride with the ability to do more than any plane option. Also don't have to make it into NYC from the airport.

UnusualAd6529 t1_j6jrn81 wrote

If you do end up doing it definitely commute on the train, it will make it 20x less painful.

Even then I spent last year alternating weeks between DC and NYC. Is it doable, yes. Is it ideal, not at all. It's hard to build stability and routine habits that are the basis of healthy living IMHO. Unless you are incredibly disciplined.

That being said you can try it for a short time as it's definitely sustainable for a year and if you hate it just move to NYC. That's what I ended up doing as I was in the same position.

WuPacalypse t1_j6jwstp wrote

Might wanna move to Jersey if you can’t afford NYC.

EngineDouble1468 t1_j6j9h40 wrote

Do you care about your carbon footprint ?

−5