Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

priyarainelle OP t1_j5rpfbf wrote

I personally prefer when they were a la carte vs the tasting menu situation they have decided to go with, but it is still my favorite restaurant. I’ve heard people describe it as underwhelming on multiple occasions, though. What didn’t you like?

Roe91517 t1_j5rqtt0 wrote

Short answer: got a bunch of small plates to share with family. Nothing was bad but didn’t wow either. Didn’t feel as if the food quality matched the hype and price point

So I’m not a fine dining expert by any means. But my brother in law co-owns a few finer dining/trendier restaurants in Chicago. None Michelin rated but that’s the goal.

Him and his wife visited us in 2019 and he wanted to check out the Dabney. Whenever they visit, he wants to check out a new diner spot which we also really enjoy doing. None of us were overly impressed by the plates we shared. The one plate I didn’t try was the fois gras, which my BIL believed was over prepared.

Atmosphere was awesome though.

priyarainelle OP t1_j5sd488 wrote

I think that’s totally valid. If a place doesn’t “wow” when you visit, it’s hard to understand the acclaim!