Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

priyarainelle OP t1_j5r74fc wrote

ETA: The full Top 100 Best Restaurants List is now live on Washingtonian Magazine's website.

Picked up a copy today at my front desk!

1 The Dabney

2 Albi

3 L’Ardente

4 Happy Gyro

5 Pineapple and Pearls

6 Inferno Pizzeria

7 Sushi Taro

8 Causa

9 Sushi Nakazawa

10 Xiquet

11 Daru

12 The Duck and the Peach

13 Anju

14 The Inn at Little Washington

15 Ellē

16 2 Amy’s

17 Caruso’s Grocery

18 Kinship

19 Elephant Jumps

20 Convivial

21 Fiola Mare

22 2Fifty

23 Queens English

24 Le Diplomate

25 Sumac

endlessly_apollo t1_j5r9ej0 wrote

Is Duck & the 🍑 a must try? Heard buzz on it

priyarainelle OP t1_j5rgj19 wrote

I am not a fan of duck itself, but I did try the restaurant about a year ago and we reserved the half rotisserie duck. It was incredible and particularly memorable! Plenty for the two of us and some leftover, so the next day I reheated it and had with some fried rice.

Besides the duck, I did enjoy the parker house rolls and a few of the sides. They have brunch and a tasting menu; they also have a robust wine discovery program - weekly tasting events on Wednesdays and monthly subscription.

To be honest it wasn’t a “wow” for me beyond the rotisserie duck, but I would definitely go back. It’s a gorgeous restaurant, a great staff, and it is womxn owned. There is a 22% service charge that is used to pay the staff a higher hourly rate - you don’t need to leave a tip unless compelled to do so. This is fully explained on the website and I applaud the transparency.

ETA: it is womxn owned

Backdoorpickle t1_j5rr3km wrote

Womxn-owned*, but yeah, the duck was spot on. Also enjoyed the wine pairings. Service and thought is good enough reason for the upcharge.

Edit: has anyone actually been to the restaurant? It's quite clear they prefer womxn.

−26

priyarainelle OP t1_j5sbd8n wrote

Yes, I’ve actually been to the restaurant. I sincerely apologize but I honestly never noticed that it was “womxn” and not “woman” so my spelling it that way was a mistake - I was spelling it as I would’ve verbalized in a conversation.

At this very moment I have no idea what “womxn” means as opposed to “woman”, so I will have to do some reading on that to fully understand the significance. I appreciate you pointing it out but also, your comment kind of reads as snarky and a bit mean-spirited. Please allow me some grace. Questioning if I’ve ever been to the restaurant because I used the wrong verbiage is unnecessarily harsh.

Backdoorpickle t1_j5sfbxd wrote

I wasn't questioning you! It's easy to miss. I was questioning the mass downvotes. Didn't mean to be snarky. :-) I'm glad you enjoyed the duck because I have relatives that have had the same experience not liking that particular protein and enjoying it here.

Sorry if I came off that way to you individually, not meant that way.

ProdigiousNewt07 t1_j5v19lu wrote

The wikipedia article for "womxn" actually has a great breakdown of the term. I'm personally of the opinion that it is at best unnecessary because implying that "woman" is sexist because it contains "man" is outrageous and if you were really concerned about "inclusivity", then "woman" should apply to trans women too (because they are also women full-stop and refusing to acknowledge that is misgendering) and you'd use another term altogether to refer to non-binary people because they generally want to be viewed as separate from the gender binary.

MartinScorsese t1_j5tk4m6 wrote

I went there for my birthday last year and it was lovely. Recommended!

brewham411 t1_j5trk7j wrote

High quality, but expensive for portion sizes. Lovely setting. Worth it.

thekingoftherodeo t1_j5tow24 wrote

They've just taken last years list, thrown it in a randomizer and pushed a few of the well known ones up to the top, haven't they?

Le Dip at 24? L-O-L. Their media/comped meals budget must be gigantic.

sprayedice t1_j5s8y3m wrote

Washingtonian Mag has the worst takes, this is such a generic list. 2Fifty is not good bbq, and really, Le Dip? This feels more like a list of overhyped "must see" spots of DC dining.

sloowhand t1_j5t02th wrote

> 2Fifty is not good bbq

Wait, what? I mean, I can understand saying it’s not your personal favorite barbecue place in the city, but it’s definitely good barbecue. What would you consider to be good barbecue in DC?

priyarainelle OP t1_j5tdjut wrote

Texas Jacks is really good barbecue and for some reason rarely ever gets any recognition anywhere- but it is hands down the best in the area imo. Their brisket is so phenomenal.

I have not tried this 2Fifty place…I’m a little apprehensive. Most places that get lauded for barbecue here are not at all good when I go.

d_hor t1_j5u1okc wrote

texas jacks was garbage last time I went. 2fifty is much better for brisket (not saying I agree with the placement on this list though)

Positive_Brother_984 t1_j67755b wrote

Washintonian’s list is not about barbecue. One of the editors, Jessica Sidman explains in her personal platforms the methodology they as editors followed for what they consider the very best restaurants. 2fifty is top 25 but they also mention a bbq food truck. There is no other bbq restaurant mentioned.

mikeydhakid t1_j5um53a wrote

>Convivial

I'll second you on Texas Jacks...phenomenal BBQ all around. Not saying 2Fifty isn't good because I haven't been there, but I'm surprised Texas Jack's doesn't get more love and attention

sloowhand t1_j5vucp8 wrote

Maybe I just caught them on an off day, but I was kind of underwhelmed by Texas Jack’s. I heard so many people rave about it, but it was just…okay. Not sure it would make my top five in the DC area. I’d put 2Fifty, Hill Country, DCity Smokehouse, Federalist Pig, and Smoke &Barrel (RIP), ahead of them.

priyarainelle OP t1_j5w04j1 wrote

Well, that’s food for you! Super personal lol

I think Hill Country is absolutely awful barbecue - I was actually angry to have spent money there and gotten such terrible food. What I got from Federalist Pig was either tough (brisket) or lacking in flavor (pulled pork, Mac and cheese). DCity is the place I go if I can’t get to Texas Jacks.

I will try 2Fifty probably this weekend, actually, but I’m not really hopeful… especially since I seem to have wildly divergent bbq tastes from the people who have commented here about liking it. Hope it surprises me!

Positive_Brother_984 t1_j5tvp81 wrote

Some people prefer gas-assisted-taste over wood-burning-only barbecue. It all comes down to a personal preference.

dataminimizer t1_j5snqk5 wrote

I really should try Anju again I guess, because we went there and were absolutely not impressed. The kimchi and by extension, the kimchi jiggae, were terrible. So sour I couldn’t eat it. Maybe we went there on an off day.

rsc99 t1_j5tf2rp wrote

I really don’t get the hype there, either.

dihydrogen_monoxide t1_j5uj0ev wrote

Someone can't handle spicy food it seems.

From the list, Chinese restaurants include:

• Queen's English
  • A&J's
  • Chang Chang
  • Chiko (Chinese Korean)
  • Mama Chang
  • Northwest Chinese Food

Brickleberried t1_j5s747b wrote

I've literally heard of one of these: Le Diplomate.

Edit: People are literally downvoting me for not having heard of more fancy restaurants?

−11

Milazzo t1_j5rabfd wrote

Sorry, person in the last thread who was trying to hide Causa from us all this whole time. Itttt'ssss hhhaapppeeennniinnngggg!

priyarainelle OP t1_j5rgqri wrote

It’s also a nice sceney-vibe… I love hanging out there. People were bound to catch on sooner or later!

heebs387 t1_j5s9q0w wrote

Yeah I had Amazonia and that meal was absolutely fantastic. It's about to be very difficult to get to any places with the list back.

Boring_Machine t1_j5s06rc wrote

It's a crime that Rooster and Owl isn't on this list...

priyarainelle OP t1_j5sc13r wrote

One of the best and affordable tasting menus I’ve encountered. I love the pineapple rolls! And the theme is so fun!

Craigellachie23 t1_j5u1xjp wrote

Agreed, having been to there, the Dabney, and Tail Up Goat relatively recently, R&O was the best food of the three (though all were great).

anewcliche t1_j5widva wrote

And an even larger crime that L’Ardente is on the list, let alone in the top 5

Roe91517 t1_j5rnv24 wrote

I was very underwhelmed by the Dabney the time I went. Maybe I’ll need to try it again

Ill_be_the_calm t1_j5rpywh wrote

We were pretty disappointed with the Dabney. We weren’t really impressed with L’Ardente either.

Snow_source t1_j5rrf7k wrote

L'Ardente was great when I had a business dinner and it was all comped by my job. Big spender tables get great attention.

It was significantly less great a month later when I went with my GF. (to the point where they gave the drink she ordered to the table next to us and didn't bother to realize until we pointed it out about 10 min later)

rsc99 t1_j5tfc8k wrote

My issue with L’Ardente is that all their dishes are built for Instagram. So there are some hits (the spendy but delicious lasagna comes to mind…) but also some misses (gold leaf on scallops…)

mr_grission t1_j5tk2hd wrote

The "don't do coke in our bathroom" neon sign they have by the bathroom gives me the same annoying Instagram vibes. Trying too hard to wind up on someone's IG story.

anewcliche t1_j5wj5iv wrote

My waiter steered me away from the pasta dish I originally asked for to try the (more expensive) lasagna… and all those layers were distinctly burnt on my slice.

priyarainelle OP t1_j5rpfbf wrote

I personally prefer when they were a la carte vs the tasting menu situation they have decided to go with, but it is still my favorite restaurant. I’ve heard people describe it as underwhelming on multiple occasions, though. What didn’t you like?

Roe91517 t1_j5rqtt0 wrote

Short answer: got a bunch of small plates to share with family. Nothing was bad but didn’t wow either. Didn’t feel as if the food quality matched the hype and price point

So I’m not a fine dining expert by any means. But my brother in law co-owns a few finer dining/trendier restaurants in Chicago. None Michelin rated but that’s the goal.

Him and his wife visited us in 2019 and he wanted to check out the Dabney. Whenever they visit, he wants to check out a new diner spot which we also really enjoy doing. None of us were overly impressed by the plates we shared. The one plate I didn’t try was the fois gras, which my BIL believed was over prepared.

Atmosphere was awesome though.

priyarainelle OP t1_j5sd488 wrote

I think that’s totally valid. If a place doesn’t “wow” when you visit, it’s hard to understand the acclaim!

MountainMantologist t1_j5s1947 wrote

Admittedly I haven't been to every restaurant on that list but Le Dip makes it and Maydān is out? Blasphemy

laxjunkie46 t1_j5rmll5 wrote

Can someone please tell me what to get at Happy Gyro because I got a gyro there recently and it was mid.

kavorka2 t1_j5rztpy wrote

If this place hadn’t been opened to take over Komi you would never have heard of it. Better gyros in Dupont.

Wall2Beal43 t1_j5tdvwu wrote

Has the best ice cream in the city, but mid mid food

ChipKellysShoeStore t1_j5wbecg wrote

It also costs $16…

Sacrificial lamb kebab is better and cheaper.

Their ice cream slaps tho

UhrHerr t1_j5s24yx wrote

If you been here a while you know this list is wrong hahah

clockoutdc t1_j5sgqfg wrote

I don’t understand how Lutece, Lapis, Moon Rabbit, Maydan, or Thip Khao did not make the top 25 but Le Diplomate did…

lgrace_ t1_j5th636 wrote

Omg same I thought Lutece would be top 5

sudsomatic t1_j5t6ow4 wrote

I’m still waiting for Thip Khao to reopen. Been there years ago and it was amazing.

dunshire2016 t1_j5t8cab wrote

It is open? I just went a few weeks ago.

sudsomatic t1_j5t9p4f wrote

Ah my bad I was mixing it up with Little Serow. Thip Khao is amazing too.

d_hor t1_j5u25u4 wrote

i think serow is gone for good...

ieatglass t1_j5rtpmf wrote

Sumac has got to be my top pick. Well worth the drive and pen druid is great to boot

kirkl3s t1_j5rykbm wrote

Would live at Pen Druid if I could

priyarainelle OP t1_j5teco0 wrote

Nice! What did you love? Have you been to Three Blacksmiths, by chance? It seems like a weekend trip to VA could include a stop at both!

The website doesn’t have a ton of information right now bedside they are on break, but their Instagram had some amazing dishes featured!

ieatglass t1_j5thluo wrote

They change the menu up weekly but everything has been delicious! Favorites include the chicken done 6 ways, strawberry tres leches, and a variety of mushroom dishes

We haven’t done three blacksmiths. We were scheduled to go right as they got new owners so we canceled the reservation because we weren’t sure if it was going to be different than anticipated. We went to the inn at little Washington instead. The sister restaurant to the inn, Patty O’s, is also quite delicious.

Three blacksmiths you have to book like 6 months in advance

priyarainelle OP t1_j5w0zoh wrote

Yea I tried to do the Inn at Little Washington, Field and Main, and Three Blacksmiths during a weekend retreat to Charlottesville but Three Blacksmiths was booked solid so it was the one place we didn’t get to go. I looked today and they are booked solid until August 😑

Seems like I’m going to have to try to make a reservation at Sumac when it reopens in the Spring, and waitlist for Three Blacksmiths for the same weekend! Wish me luck lol

OddDraft t1_j5s9bqp wrote

The Dabney has been at the top of my “want to try” list since 2018 but heard over the past few months that the quality (& amount of food you get for the price) has gone down. Love to see Albi up there though!

AnalystTherapist99 t1_j5skmpm wrote

More than the quality is that they doubled the price of their tasting menu ($85-$170). It was decent value before (good food but stingy on portions) but any improvements they may have made with the revamp doesn't match the steep price hike.

d_hor t1_j5u9tmm wrote

It wasn’t that big of a jump but I get you - I liked it a lot more when it was 85-100. I think it was 120 when I went a couple months before the switch to full tasting

WayyyCleverer t1_j5sl31z wrote

I really don’t understand the attraction to the Dabney

priyarainelle OP t1_j5tetzj wrote

The few of us who love it seem to really love it, but most people I meet say this! Uh oh

DC-COVID-TRASH t1_j5rwl8t wrote

I went to sushi nakazawa mid 2022 and while very good there's better in the city for the price range imo

priyarainelle OP t1_j5scusu wrote

Personally I beg to differ. If I want really good nigiri I personally have not found a 1:1 substitute that matches the quality.

There is plenty of good sushi at a cheaper price point, but I have yet to find a sushi restaurant with meat that is as consistently fresh and high quality-tasting as Nakazawa and rice that is as well prepared.

But in general, for sure there are plenty of other options that are good enough to satisfy the sushi craving.

rsc99 t1_j5tf6f2 wrote

Strongly agree with this. But I haven’t tried Sushi Taro yet!

Naive_Coast_8919 t1_j5tphm8 wrote

I'd say Taro is on the same level, but nothing else in DC is. And I eat a lot of sushi.

DC-COVID-TRASH t1_j5tn9cr wrote

I meant more as "best restaurants" in DC, not best nigiri (or even best Japanese). Though, I would put them at 3 in terms of omakase in DC (with Sushi Taro and Oku higher), though they would be 2 at nigiri focused omakase (with Sushi taro higher). But in terms of service and experience at that price point I can think of 25 or so restaurants that are better (and I generally do the sushi bar at Nakazawa for reference). I generally feel that while they make great nigiri the service could be much better in that price range.

IrememberXenogears t1_j5rycw1 wrote

Yeah, had to take out a second mortgage just to have lunch there.

DC-COVID-TRASH t1_j5tom0t wrote

It wasn't even the price - it was the value for the price. I am happy to pay $$$ for a meal if it's worth it, but nakazawa, while delicious, just doesn't have the service at the same level as other restaurants in the same price range.

Naive_Coast_8919 t1_j5tpqib wrote

I actually agree with this criticism, but I'm happy to overlook it for what's essentially an upper crust NYC level Sushi bar in DC. And for good omakase, the price point isn't out of line imo.

IrememberXenogears t1_j5tp6v0 wrote

When i went, there was only 4 of us. I'd say the service was great. Chef does his ritual for each piece, tells it a bedtime story, and the host was on our beck and call. I paid over $700 for two of our meals. I thought the food and service was great, but holy shit. At least I get to check off that box.

DC-COVID-TRASH t1_j5tqd7w wrote

The service was not that good when I went, it was kind of middling.

Plus_Mirror_2611 t1_j5ruwdq wrote

The Chikin at Anju on the right night is one of the best dishes in DC.

WuPacalypse t1_j5s0zal wrote

I got to try the Dabney 2 years ago when their tasting menu was $90 a person. It was damn good, but now it’s $170 a person which is wild.

fireshighway t1_j5tzj3d wrote

Same. I’m not sure I could justify the price now but it’s the single best meal I’ve had in DC.

WatercressSuch2440 t1_j5t1d1i wrote

Bar Amazonia/ Causa is awesome. I love what they do with whole fish. They are unpretentious and just do what they do well. Well earned!

priyarainelle OP t1_j5tezh1 wrote

They are very nice staff! This summer will be their time to shine! Now it’s going to be super hard to hit the rooftop on a Friday night for drinks with friends hahaha but they deserve the praise!

WeightFast574 t1_j5v3ddx wrote

The Inn at Little Washington is a major stretch to include on a list of DC area restaurants. We might as well just include good Baltimore restaurants, they're closer to DC than The Inn at Little Washington is!

priyarainelle OP t1_j5v8zb0 wrote

I'm actually all for this idea! I wonder if they do go out/up that way, already? Given that Inferno Pizza made their list, it's possible they include Southern Maryland and they just have not found anything in/near Baltimore that they felt was worthy of being included by whatever standard (???) they evaluate restaurants.

What are some places in Baltimore that you like? I would love some suggestions to explore on my own time. Most of my work has me eating out in D.C. and in VA... I am sad to say I have not spent much time in Baltimore!

tafunast t1_j5rvkqk wrote

Had a great time at the Dabney. Second time wasn’t quite as good as the first, but damn the food and ambiance were great both times.

rejecttheHo t1_j5uwmjg wrote

Cranes needs to be on here. One of the cheaper Michelin restaurants in the city and arguably the best food in all of DC

d_hor t1_j5v1pcl wrote

I think you’re in the minority making that argument..they did make the 100 though (deservedly)

earth-to-matilda t1_j5t7ein wrote

loved the chips and dip and chicken for the table at kinship. any word on if the executive chef is actually racist?

d_hor t1_j5u372x wrote

questionable 25, need to see the full 100!

mrmaglu t1_j5vg4qe wrote

That’s a top ten that says, “This list was not so much ranked as strategized.”

rebel_way t1_j5w47mj wrote

They did 2Amys a favor with that one. Delicious pizza but massive shrinkflation! It’s like over $20 for a small pizza there.

coviddc t1_j5s6371 wrote

I used to be a big fan of 2 Amy's but the last few pizzas were burned (overly so, to the point its too much char and not enough properly cooked crust). I should have sent my last order back it was so burned...

DC-DE t1_j5s94jh wrote

Most of these are expensive, over-hyped shit restaurants.

Go to NYC for a dose of reality.

−12