Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

slipnips t1_ja1ncvz wrote

If by 'we' you mean the Reddit diplomats, then perhaps you're right. If by 'we' you mean the western governments, then it's not accurate, as states don't have love-hate relationships like middle schoolers. The only factor that matters is whether their national interests are served through a relationship.

CulturalFlight6899 t1_ja23vy2 wrote

A lot of Indians do seem to hate the US and West as a whole, which makes sense.

And whilst you are correct about national interests, that too is served by domestic opinions.

Indians love Russia as they have been cultural but especially great military partners since the cold War, very dependable. So there isn't anyone upset over 90% military dependency upon Russia or relying upon em for crucial imports of certain natural resources (oil, some minerals)

On the other hand, America when being run by our great grandfathers is not reliable at all. In the Col War when India sided with the Soviets USA stupidly thought it smart to side with Pakistan, and then not only underplayed genocide but also sent ships off coast. Soviets responded with nuclear sub, in India's defense.

Hence many Indians (can see them in this thread) as skeptical of any reliance upon the West, even mutually beneficial trade and dealing between private companies.

This is one reason why China is a fast growing trade partner to India, and will likely reap even more gains from Indias growth as it exports massive amounts. Whilst some Indians online claim to hate China more than US, their money sings a different tune and we should pay attention to that.

Doesn't mean give up on India entirely as a partner, but accept it will never join any kind of military alliance and instead the best we might get is a trade deal to reduce their dependence upon China.

−7

marcspector2022 t1_ja2xtl3 wrote

This is absolute crap, most Indians love the west.
Wish we could say the same about western countries.

kiraqueen11 t1_ja3lg5y wrote

I understand why you have that perception, given you most likely have formed it by interacting with people like me, so I'll give you some context:

There's a small subsection of young and politically aware Indians who have a massive chip on their shoulder because of our colonial past and that sometimes translates to anti-west sentiments, mainly skepticism and anger over hypocritical behaviour.

That said, we are an incredibly small minority that still has a lot of appreceation for western or western derived values (appreciation for liberal democracy, free trade, individualism etc.). There's a lot of things that we admire America for (I'd wager we have a more positive opinion of the US compared to Europeans). We just want to put our country's interests first, that sometimes includes supporting morally questionable stances when it comes to geopolitics.

In summary, while there is an element of truth to what you think, it's a lot more complicated than just that.