Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SCZ- t1_jdqd6l5 wrote

It's not pointless, Michaeli, like any other minister, can lower the prices of anything through regulations, the question is at the expense of what. I'm just saying that she basically didn't do anything meaningful when she was a minister.

BCuzMe t1_jdqeemb wrote

You can't lower the prices without the budget for it, so a minister can't just lower prices as they want, but that's not really the point.

The blanket statement that when a government spends money it comes from taxes is obvious and doesn't really add anything, the exact same statement could be said about government subsidising healthcare, or really nearly anything the government does.

What you can do is argue it wasn't worth it to spend the money on subsidies for public transport and it'd better spent elsewhere (even within the ministry), and that's a fair argument considering how lacking the transport is, regardless of its pricing.

I agree she didn't do much, but I think that's more to do with the governments rather than the minister, that coalition wasn't ever making public transport work on Saturday, and significant improvements (infrastructure) cost a ton of money upfront which I dont see any government investing in, sadly.

SCZ- t1_jdqiqzu wrote

You're right I didn't explain myself properly. I meant that it wasn't worth it and it was just a pure populist move as you said.