Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

oghdi t1_jdnto48 wrote

The numbers are 330,000 in tel aviv. Over 600,000 in all of israel.

WeedWacker25 t1_jdo7di4 wrote

So approximately 6% of the population.

To put it into perspective:

Hong Kong protests in 2019: 1-2 million people, represented around 13-27% of the total population of 7.5 million.

March for Our Lives in the United States in 2018: 1.2-2 million people, represented around 0.4-0.6% of the total population of 327 million.

Arab Spring protests in Egypt in 2011: 17 million people, represented around 20% of the total population of 83 million.

Black Lives Matter protests in the United States in 2020: 15-26 million people, represented around 4.5-7.8% of the total population of 331 million.

nidarus t1_jdodh8d wrote

>Black Lives Matter protests in the United States in 2020: 15-26 million people, represented around 4.5-7.8% of the total population of 331 million.

Note that this is the estimated total number of participants by the end of June 2020, not the amount in any specific protest. The equivalent figure for Israel is 19% of the population that participated in at least one protest. Out of them, 11% went to multiple protests.

Exodus111 t1_jdq9k0r wrote

Cool. They still voted for him though.

−31

ConqueredCabbage t1_jdqbocq wrote

This is not the US, the PM is just the one that gathered enough parties to vote for him. Netanyahu's own party got 23% of the votes, but joined forces with other right-wing and orthodox jewish parties.

to put in perspective - Lapid, the head of the opposition, got 17% votes for his party, and Gantz's party got 9%, so together they actually have more voters. They just don't recruit the orthodox jews, else they could've actually formed a coalition even now (not gonna happen ever, but those are the numbers)

Exodus111 t1_jdqbzzy wrote

23% is pretty good in a parliamentary system.

−8

Nileghi t1_jdqk0la wrote

Crucially, 45% of Likud's voters are disatisfied with this coalition, and polls indicate that the opposition would win if elections were held today.

Its a /r/LeopardsAteMyFace moment yes, but thank god some sanity among their voters is happening instead of like, doubling down on the problem like Trump or Putin supporters

Happypappy007 t1_jdnfgz4 wrote

Netanyahu will burn down what’s left of democracy in Israel to keep himself out of jail and in power.

Shameful

Infinaris t1_jdnrj6t wrote

That or someone decides to go and assasinate him as a last resort. He really is playing with fire.

HooDatOwl t1_jdo9xr7 wrote

That would be a nice full circle moment considering his full throated support, and some claim participation, in Rabin's assassination.

Infinaris t1_jdoimzc wrote

Wow the rabbit hole goes deeper and deeper, My own thinking of it happening is him making himself legally unremovable from office (removing the peaceful option always leads to the more violent outcome) but if thats anyway true then we're well and truly entering Karmas a Bitch Territory here should it come to pass.

TheLieDetectorBro t1_jdor89e wrote

It is kind of true.

While of course Bibi did not organize Rabin's assassination himself in any way, he was running a very aggressive hate campaign against him at the time, which many claim has partial fault for the murder.

Some of the demonstrations he led even contained imagery of Rabin as a Nazi, and hanging ropes with a coffin with Rabin's name written on it (Bibi claims he magically did not notice this after the murder, despite photo evidence showing he was less than a meter away).

I cannot even begin to find the words that describe how vile this piece of shit is and how much hate he has caused in Israeli society.

HouseOfSteak t1_jdovs4y wrote

>removing the peaceful option always leads to the more violent outcome)

The more violent option, not outcome.

​

The big two popular examples: Stalin was in power until he died of natural causes. Hitler only died when the Soviets came a'knocking - not by his own angry revolutionaries or ambitious flunkies.

DelicateMarshmellow t1_jdoafkn wrote

That’s what I was thinking lately. It feels like what happened before Rabins murder.

ripvannwinkler t1_jdp1isc wrote

The man was ousted and found his way back into power. Now he's circumventing the balances of that power. Remind you of any upcoming races in the U.S.?

Happypappy007 t1_jdp1rwu wrote

If Trump gets back into power, the world is fucked.

ripvannwinkler t1_jdp23sq wrote

I agree, but never underestimate the apathy of the American public. Even some hardcore anti-trumpers I know are too lazy to vote. They just want to piss and moan the problems away.

yoyo456 t1_jdnwm5a wrote

Israel's defense Minister came out today against the proposed judicial reforms as well and said it hurts Israel's national security. This makes four Likud members who have publicly criticized it, meaning if everyone else votes on party lines, they don't have a majority anymore. This is a big deal!

BrainOnLoan t1_jdohpps wrote

The spin he put on it should have some traction.

Talking about pain, upset and concern within the military, including commanding officers and pointing to reservists defering service/not showing, etc.

Quite strongly linking this reform and danger to the state of Israel if Israeli society were to fracture due to this (and lack of dialogue with critics).

HouseOfSteak t1_jdovcbk wrote

It's not until they actually vote accordingly.

​

Publicly, loudly announce that you no likey to buff up support, then quietly vote for it anyway. It's been done before....

Nileghi t1_jdqkt2o wrote

One of the theocrats/fascists, Itamar Ben Gvir, has just called for Defense Minister Yoav Gallant to be fired, and several Likud members called him a leftist.

So I'm tempted to believe its an actual break of line instead of just a show

Maximieus t1_jdnday5 wrote

Why is this corrupt smok again on office is my question here!

TheLieDetectorBro t1_jdns55j wrote

Perfect storm of Bibi allying with all extremists elements in Israel, bribing them with everything they want. Together with some left leaning parties fucking up majorly. 2 very important parties refused to unite despite advice and one of them did not make it to the government because of it.

BHisa t1_jdnx6f8 wrote

I love Michaeli, but so much of Bibi’s return is on her.

TheLieDetectorBro t1_jdnxjmt wrote

Yeah she fucked up big time. But who knows, could be for the best long term, as finally the sane liberal majority in Israel is fighting for our rights, after decades of apathy.

Due_Vermicelli_6354 t1_jdpcof5 wrote

מיכאלי היא מטומטמת ומנותקת מה יש לאהוב בה,לא עשתה כלום חוץ מלהעלות את המעלות ברכבת

moskonia t1_jdpw3l4 wrote

הורידה מחירים בתחבצ. זה משמעותי

SCZ- t1_jdpzjr7 wrote

אתה מבין שספסוד ממשלתי עבור X מיתרגם בסופו של דבר בהוספת Y מיסים לכולנו כן?

BCuzMe t1_jdqa0sg wrote

A technically correct but also completely pointless comment

SCZ- t1_jdqd6l5 wrote

It's not pointless, Michaeli, like any other minister, can lower the prices of anything through regulations, the question is at the expense of what. I'm just saying that she basically didn't do anything meaningful when she was a minister.

BCuzMe t1_jdqeemb wrote

You can't lower the prices without the budget for it, so a minister can't just lower prices as they want, but that's not really the point.

The blanket statement that when a government spends money it comes from taxes is obvious and doesn't really add anything, the exact same statement could be said about government subsidising healthcare, or really nearly anything the government does.

What you can do is argue it wasn't worth it to spend the money on subsidies for public transport and it'd better spent elsewhere (even within the ministry), and that's a fair argument considering how lacking the transport is, regardless of its pricing.

I agree she didn't do much, but I think that's more to do with the governments rather than the minister, that coalition wasn't ever making public transport work on Saturday, and significant improvements (infrastructure) cost a ton of money upfront which I dont see any government investing in, sadly.

SCZ- t1_jdqiqzu wrote

You're right I didn't explain myself properly. I meant that it wasn't worth it and it was just a pure populist move as you said.

[deleted] t1_jdnd549 wrote

If these protests force Netanyahu from office, who takes his place?

Wwize t1_jdnj1em wrote

There will be new elections. If he decides to resign, he will probably remain in power until the elections + transition time.

[deleted] t1_jdo1sx2 wrote

Could Gantz become PM again? What about Lapid?

Wwize t1_jdo42k9 wrote

They could if they can win enough votes and form a majority coalition.

[deleted] t1_jdo4ziv wrote

Personally, I perfer Gantz, he is not perfect, but he seems moderate enough, and would not try the funny business that Netenhayu is trying.

Wwize t1_jdo5ezh wrote

I don't know enough about them to pick between them (I'm not Israeli), but at least they're not fascists, so either one would probably be fine.

[deleted] t1_jdo6tey wrote

I am not Isreali either, but Gantz seems to be the most reasonable. He is not a leftist by any means, but he seems to be a moderate, and less corrupt.

galan-e t1_jdod5bv wrote

Israeli here. After last time gantz cooperated with Netanyahu, many don't trust him. He is also problematic on several issues, obviously none as severe as the current "judicial reform".

In any case the chances of an election soon are slim. Even if the protests work, they could back down without immediately losing power.

[deleted] t1_jdogma9 wrote

What are your views on Lapid?

TheLieDetectorBro t1_jdorqhp wrote

Another Israeli here. Lapid is a clown, but a 1,000,000 times better than the corrupted Bibi. He is also the second most popular candidate after Bibi by far, got 850K votes to Bibi's 1.1M last election.

But it's just personal opinions of course, many Israelis love Lapid and they have pretty good reasons for it.

[deleted] t1_jdothim wrote

Could Lapid have a path back to power, if for some reason Netenyahu resigns?

TheLieDetectorBro t1_jdou3yp wrote

For sure. If there are elections right now, there's a very good chance Lapid will end up as PM.

But assuming Netanyahu will ever resign is a stretch. He will only stop if his government will lose majority.

[deleted] t1_jdoufxh wrote

I know some members of his coalition are starting to break with him, could they resign, and cost him his majority?

TheLieDetectorBro t1_jdov9lu wrote

100%, but none of them talked about resigning from the government, just not agree to vote for his "Reform".

Could this start some sort of chain of events that will make them resign or Bibi to fire them? Maybe. But I doubt it. Though that will be extremely good!

[deleted] t1_jdoxjqf wrote

Agreed, that would be good, if they forced Bibi to fire them.

yevb t1_jdpxd59 wrote

Lapid is a populist and a lier, basically a lot like Bibi but without jail hovering over his head.

When Bibi leaves, we HAVE to introduce term limits on our PMs.

JewishMaghreb t1_jdq8iqf wrote

Which is what Lapid advocates for. He suggested limits to PM already a while ago. I think he’s the best option we have

yevb t1_jdrzxey wrote

Honestly, anything they say is meaningless. It only matters on the rare occasions they follow through.

Nileghi t1_jdql58z wrote

The Israeli version of Biden. In fact theyre carbon copies of each other, and all the rightwing criticism of Lapid mirrors the stuff thrown at Biden

Both Biden and Lapid are centrists who have diagnosed their country with the same problem and are attempting to produce the same solution to it. He's the most favorite pick of the american jewish democrat

[deleted] t1_jdqpq85 wrote

At any rate, Lapid at least does not want to wreck the Isreali Supreme Court.

TheLieDetectorBro t1_jdot0ff wrote

Ganz agreed to a coalition with Bibi despite literally everyone knowing Bibi will not honor his agreement with him... Which of course happened.

He also supported very controversial rules regarding military pensions, basically allowed illegal higher than allowed pensions by the law and made it legal after the fact.

And of course, he is kind of a goofball.

Still leagues better than Bibi, no question.

[deleted] t1_jdotei4 wrote

Would Gantz have been better off forming a coalation with some left parties?

TheLieDetectorBro t1_jdov2uj wrote

Well, if Ganz would not have agreed there could have been another election. And this was during peak Covid, when many were scared and believed stability is more important.

So that was Ganz's excuse, which you have to make up your own mind whether you believe him or just think he saw a way for himself to be PM after Bibi (They were supposed to have a 2-2 year rotation) and got blinded by it.

In hindsight though, the left-center parties were probably right and Ganz should have refused. We only got a shitty useless government which fell apart quickly and by now we know, Bibi is literally trying to destroy our Democracy.

[deleted] t1_jdoxnal wrote

I still remember the days when Rabin was PM back in the 90s, and peace seemed like such a real possablity....

Final_Percentage_882 t1_jdnhicp wrote

A blockchain based artificial intelligence. Each citizen has a copy of the blockchain. So by modifying the code in the block they cast a democratic vote to change the programming of the AI.

−35

explodethings t1_jdpx6ug wrote

ITT: Americans who don't know how parliaments work, saying "durr you voted him in"

knakworst36 t1_jdqtykf wrote

The people who voted for Bibi obviously wanted him to be PM, and the people who voted for the other extremist parties knew they would help appoint Bibi, as they've always done. Therefore, the Israeli people did vote him in. However, just because a politician has a democratic majority does not mean that 100% of the electorate supports him. The right to protest is so important so that minority voices can be heard.

−11

explodethings t1_jdrhvf8 wrote

You hid your wrong conclusion in a corridor of things I largely agree with, so let me fix that for you: Just because people voted for Ben Gvir, Netanyahu, Smotrich and Deri, does not mean that the people of Israel as a whole, including people who voted for parties that are in the current coalition, voted for Netanyahu- directly or indirectly. You can spout that blanket opinion at the Israeli people as much as you like, it does not make it true. Because that's all it is- an opinion.

An opinion usually made by people with a severe lack of understanding in Israeli politics.

Blakut t1_jdo8b2z wrote

how the fuck is this guy still in power?? Like is he made of teflon?

Soluxy t1_jdpeb6n wrote

He was voted in because Israel hates Palestine and the Middle-East more than a right-wing authoritarian government.

−21

SailorChimailai t1_jdprkuf wrote

average westerner suddenly becoming an expert on israeli politics in the comments

PapaSnork t1_jdoee6q wrote

Bibi: "I know it's unpopular... but Israel will just have to accept some sacrifices in order for me to do whatever it takes to keep my corrupt ass out of the fire. ...What?"

Arrg-ima-pirate t1_jdowqwk wrote

They’re forgetting, every revolution started as a protest…. The difference is most nations don’t have mandatory military service like they do… which makes that angry mob outside that much more deadly

tablestack t1_jdq2z69 wrote

The problem for the government isn't the protesters having military training. It's that due to the nature of mandatory service the army will never turn on the people. I'm very serious under no circumstances will the army ever even dare to attack the protesters. Bibi lost as soon as he tried all that's left is to see when he finally gives up and accordingly how bad his punishment his going to be. This entire move is seen as essentially treason and considering the fact both the ultra nationalist and ultra orthodox aren't liked by the general public this government is a dead man walking

knakworst36 t1_jdqtobo wrote

> the army will never turn on the people.

On Jewish people, the Israeli army has no problem oppressing Christian and Muslim Palestinians citizens, not even talking about Palestinians in the occupied areas.

−6

tablestack t1_jdr8ez9 wrote

Absolutely not christians, that's laughable that you even suggest that. It's less clear about muslims and especially palestinians, their treatment isn't nearly as bad as most view it. Consider the fact palestinians can go and work in israel but not in egypt and i can go on and on. Their treatment can be massively improved and i believe it will help but the army doesn't just go and kill random civilian palestinians

knakworst36 t1_jds0rt9 wrote

Israël has enforced an apartheid policy in the Westbank according to amnesty, and human rights watch. The population of Palestinian Christians has shrinks significantly in part as a result of Israel limiting Palestinian economic rights, and other apartheid policies.

Israel does treat non Palestinians great.

autotldr t1_jdncugv wrote

This is the best tl;dr I could make, original reduced by 83%. (I'm a bot)

> Thousands of Israelis rallied in Tel Aviv against a judicial overhaul by the hard-right government, ahead of a key week expected to see more legislative steps and mass protests.

> The latest demonstration to hit Israel's commercial hub came days after the prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, vowed to press on with the changes despite mounting international alarm.

> Rallies have repeatedly drawn tens of thousands of protesters, according to Israeli media estimates, and an AFP journalist saw thousands already gathering in Tel Aviv early on Saturday evening.

Extended Summary | FAQ | Feedback | Top keywords: Netanyahu^#1 protest^#2 Israeli^#3 reform^#4 Thousands^#5

waddeaf t1_jdp8m2i wrote

Judicial independence is important and good especially in the case of Israel. Hopefully enough anger will reverse this course or at least but opposing forces in enough of a possie to be able to overturn when they get an opportunity to.

Eferver t1_jdqhod3 wrote

So many people commenting and forming opinions with zero knowledge of the historical context. This isn’t some brazen attempt by Bibi to become a dictator, the showdown between the Court and the Knesset is the climax of tensions that have been brewing ever since Ben Gurion decided to forgo a formal constitution.

OneOfTheOnlies t1_jdrnpbn wrote

"Thousands" really seems like an understatement for hundreds of thousands

Mrsparkles7100 t1_jdpu8ys wrote

You know, with Benjamin Netanyahu, the more I learn about that guy, the more I don’t care for him.

flukshun t1_jdqmnay wrote

This MF'er trying to steal a country right in front of everyone's face.

matomika t1_jdr3xrb wrote

im so not familiar with israel politics. but i wanna know how this douche is still in the game?

JubalHarshaw23 t1_jdrpei8 wrote

Mad Dictators are historically unphased by external criticism, or internal.

_Surena_ t1_jds3z0u wrote

The main overhaul they need is term limits. That nutanyahu has been running the country for far too long. Israel can't do any better!?

Bob_Juan_Santos t1_jdo6yr3 wrote

Dear israelis,

Maybe don't vote for his party next time.

TheLieDetectorBro t1_jdos3ml wrote

Only about 16% of us voted for this piece of shit. He just allies himself with literally all corrupted politicians available in the country to form a coalition. Practically selling them our entire country just so they support his corrupted revolution, destroying Israel in order to avoid his trial.

SonsofStarlord t1_jdoyxa1 wrote

I’m not Israeli but I’m pissed that mfer weaseled his way back into power. I really wanted you guys to give Gantz a go.

Ok_Parking1650 t1_jdofl2n wrote

You know this isn't going to happen, his senile misguided base will follow him blindly regardless

SprJoe t1_jds2upt wrote

If these were Arab-Israelis rather than Jewish-Israelis, then they’d be shot at by the military with rubber bullets & live ammunition.

amathis6464 t1_jdpv972 wrote

Beenjammin Needayoohoo

Edit- ahhh I see we have some authoritarian genocidal fans in here who don’t like when folks make fun of their authoritarian…..

−2

nooo82222 t1_jdpubrc wrote

Wow. This guy seems worse than Trump in office. What’s the deal with the electing him again?

−3

LateMiddleAge t1_jdotf0h wrote

Well, one perspective is, the Torah mandates death by stoning for disagreeing with the supreme court. So Bibi got a lot of motivation.

−6

1arctek t1_jdpvycy wrote

If you vote for a monster, that’s what you get.

−12

lnin0 t1_jdokwgn wrote

Remember when Venezuela's Maduros did something like this and America refused to recognize him as leader, sanctioned the citizens into the Stone Age and tried to install a new puppet president?

−14

SonsofStarlord t1_jdoz7ze wrote

Remember Maduro is the still leader of Venezuela and nice way of making it the US’s fault not like the EU also was on board with not recognizing maduro. Nice weak attempt at trolling. Lmao y’all are amazingly stupid

Least_Ostrich7418 t1_jdq6w35 wrote

I don't remember many Israelis caring when their government was terrorizing Palestinians :/ Welp....who would have guessed that the government that could so horribly treat Palestinians has the capacity and evil to horribly treat them.

−15

SyntheticOne t1_jdpkneh wrote

You voted. You got him.

−18

yyyyyl5 t1_jdpolmh wrote

I remember alot of amricans complaining about trump while he was president but "You voted. You got him"

SyntheticOne t1_jdr4880 wrote

We are still paying for that blunder. Everyone sane knows it was a blunder. The damage Trump did and does is unconcealed. Doesn't mean Israel should copy our stupidity.

−4

yyyyyl5 t1_jdr4ray wrote

>The damage Trump did and does is unconcealed.

You voted for him so you can't complain

SyntheticOne t1_jdroo30 wrote

I did not vote for him, but even if I had, I would have soon seen the truth and regretted my support.

Voters can make mistakes and should be responsible to withdraw their support once the mistake is obvious.

−3

yyyyyl5 t1_jdrzmyu wrote

Exactly, so why are you saying "you voted. You got him" under a post about the protest against him?

SyntheticOne t1_jdt0pmz wrote

My comment was aimed at the people who vote frivolously, ignoring many signs that a candidate may be unfit for office and is divisive or otherwise bad for the democracy. Here, they vote anyway because the candidate embraces their racist hints.

ladthrowlad t1_jdpsgzg wrote

it's a parliamentary democracy (coalition). so around 75%+ did not vote for his party

Eferver t1_jdqgoxe wrote

That’s not relevant. We all knew he was going to form the coalition he was. The left couldn’t stop fighting each other, and now you got him.

−8

maafna t1_jdpnjvq wrote

I don't get comments like this.

AgentTrashPanda t1_jdnt0r5 wrote

Nation founded by ending of dictatorship decides to step towards dictatorship.

−25

TheLieDetectorBro t1_jdnut93 wrote

Wrong. We will not let this happen.

Hundreds of thousands of us are in the streets for months now. Many elements in the army, police, education, the entire high tech industry, academia and much more are with us. There are good news already, as just hours ago a few members from Netanyahu's own coalition declared that the reform needs to stop.

This could be the death blow for this corrupted piece of shit. And even if not, we are just getting started.