Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

US_Witness_661 t1_je2dj1a wrote

At least here in the US, there isn't. You can bankrupt your bank and the FDIC will bail out the customers while you can sell off your stock and make millions.

Sufferment t1_je3c5vj wrote

Didn't svb stockholders lose everything?

captain554 t1_je3cv9r wrote

Trick is to sell right before the crash: "CEO Greg Becker sold over $3.5 million in company stock, an SEC filing shows. Less than two weeks before Silicon Valley Bank became the largest bank failure since the 2008 financial crisis, top executives at the company sold stock totaling several million dollars, according to federal disclosures obtained by ABC News"

RE5TE t1_je3q3oa wrote

Executives do that regularly. They're paid in stock, so they sell to get their money. The SEC can easily see if they sold an abnormal amount. I'm sure they're all under a microscope at this very moment.

herpaderp43321 t1_je3kkwi wrote

Makes it sound like they knew and this would be automatic jail time.

be0wulfe t1_je3cn5t wrote

Depositors got made whole, largely through asset sales and their deposits being bought by other banks.

I have as yet to hear of anyone getting investigated for insider trading, which they should, or negligence or wilful malfeasance, which they also should.

And the bank wasn't bankrupt. But I've explained this as far as I care to; go read some background reporting instead of spouting off silly sound bites.