Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Skydreamer6 t1_je17jf0 wrote

Hiding crooks? That's a paddlin'......

n3m37h t1_je18bmm wrote

Oh you better believe that's a paddlin

AltCtrlShifty t1_je27v2d wrote

If there isn’t jail time, it was worth the risk to them.

US_Witness_661 t1_je2dj1a wrote

At least here in the US, there isn't. You can bankrupt your bank and the FDIC will bail out the customers while you can sell off your stock and make millions.

Sufferment t1_je3c5vj wrote

Didn't svb stockholders lose everything?

captain554 t1_je3cv9r wrote

Trick is to sell right before the crash: "CEO Greg Becker sold over $3.5 million in company stock, an SEC filing shows. Less than two weeks before Silicon Valley Bank became the largest bank failure since the 2008 financial crisis, top executives at the company sold stock totaling several million dollars, according to federal disclosures obtained by ABC News"

RE5TE t1_je3q3oa wrote

Executives do that regularly. They're paid in stock, so they sell to get their money. The SEC can easily see if they sold an abnormal amount. I'm sure they're all under a microscope at this very moment.

herpaderp43321 t1_je3kkwi wrote

Makes it sound like they knew and this would be automatic jail time.

be0wulfe t1_je3cn5t wrote

Depositors got made whole, largely through asset sales and their deposits being bought by other banks.

I have as yet to hear of anyone getting investigated for insider trading, which they should, or negligence or wilful malfeasance, which they also should.

And the bank wasn't bankrupt. But I've explained this as far as I care to; go read some background reporting instead of spouting off silly sound bites.

gaukonigshofen t1_je07fg4 wrote

Now I'm beginning to understand why sone people hid (still hide) money in mattress

WanderingPickles t1_je0ech4 wrote

Why?

These people were making/retaining money (by reducing tax exposure) via shady means. They didn’t lose money in the trading activity.

Putting cash in a mattress is a sure way of losing value. $100/€100 in 2005 is now worth $64.92/70.68.

tretower424 t1_je0o4t6 wrote

Not to mention the amount you lose when the mice start snacking on it.

RubusDragon t1_je1y0jb wrote

And that's almost "good" compared to the current situation. With inflation rates soaring near 10%, $100 in 20 years will be like $15 and that's assuming inflation doesn't get WORSE.

gaukonigshofen t1_je0gx25 wrote

considering some people have bad luck with stock market, it might not be that bad

−4

WanderingPickles t1_je0iw01 wrote

There is always risk. However, sitting on physical cash is a bad idea. I googled the inflationary changes and those numbers are correct.

The least bad option is to park cash in a savings accounts. At least you get a fraction of inflation.

GMN123 t1_je1zziz wrote

I think the lowest-risk long-term store of wealth, including inflation as a 'risk', is probably a global index fund or something similar. Cash is safe in nominal terms only.

SourDi t1_je1mce9 wrote

Just a cost of doing business

TonySu t1_je37ch8 wrote

Pretty sure when HSBC got hit with the largest fine in history, they already had a budget for the fine, the fine came in under budget, they somehow got a tax deduction on it as an expense, and everyone got bonuses.

BadModsAreBadDragons t1_je2t66l wrote

$1.1 billion for a bank is like toilet paper, not to even mention multiple banks.

AutoModerator t1_je02ddq wrote

Hi 21Rep. Your submission from bloomberg.com is behind a metered paywall. A metered paywall allows users to view a specific number of articles before requiring paid subscription. Articles posted to /r/worldnews should be accessible to everyone. While your submission was not removed, it has been flaired and users are discouraged from upvoting it or commenting on it. For more information see our wiki page on paywalls. Please try to find another source. If there is no other news site reporting on the story, contact the moderators.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

Excellent-Wishbone12 t1_je38vqf wrote

Seize the assets of all senior executives current and former.

They need to return heir ill gotten profits from committing fraud on shareholders

The execs shouldn’t be allowed to live in luxury. It’s Madoff fraud.

Excellent-Wishbone12 t1_je36buh wrote

The banks should start by getting the money back from CEO’s (former and current) and Sr. Executives who personally profited from the corruption.

Shareholders shouldn’t pay the price

Excellent-Wishbone12 t1_je38bme wrote

Doesn’t HSBC not have a long history of money laundering?

Why aren’t the executives of banks not going to jail for fraud”

Excellent-Wishbone12 t1_je384w3 wrote

Oh, and any and all accounts internal , external and rating firms who aided in the fraud.

Individuals should be sued for costs.

MiserableLychee t1_je3yyv8 wrote

They should take that 1.1 billion, double it, and give it to me.