Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

truemeliorist t1_iub4nk8 wrote

Sadly rat poison isn't made with it anymore afaik. Which actually really sucks because you can treat warfarin/coumadin overdoses from old style rat poison in dogs and cats with vitamin K.

Newer rat poisons have no way to counteract them, so you basically have to force feed pets liquified charcoal slurry and pray that you can dilute the poison enough.

People forget when you kill a rat with the poison, you also poison anything else that may go after the rat's body. Often, cats and dogs.

merit33 t1_iubclmk wrote

I know someone who complained about some rat or iguana scurrying on the roof, left poison for a night; dead possum and neighbour's cat.

marakat3 t1_iuc2oqv wrote

My cat died 3 weeks ago, I fully believe she died because she ate a poisoned rat.

WickedSlice_ t1_iucc40p wrote

Neighbour should ensure it’s cat doesn’t leave its property if they were so concerned about the welfare of the animal and the native wildlife though.

BrennanSpeaks t1_iubw5lw wrote

Depends on the poison. Second and third gen anticoagulants like the ones being banned can absolutely be treated with vitamin k, the same as warfarin. It’s the non-anticoagulant alternatives like bromethalin and cholecalciferol that get complicated to treat.