Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SuperDuperRotoPooper t1_iu2i7ga wrote

>Maybe Canada is better than the US. MAYBE.

We like to say so. But really, we are not.

Edit: Aww, looks like I hurt some feelies. I got some bad news for you knobs: Canada is not a fucking utopia, and we're undeservedly arrogant. Look at how we treat our indigenous population, and then look down our noses at our neighbours to the south.

−11

lurklurklurkPOST t1_iu2kto0 wrote

First country in the world to own up to what they did to the natives is a big step forward IMO.

In america its taught in schools that our forefathers did horrible things to native americans and took their land and forced them onto reservations, then the subject is sort of dropped. No talk of restitution, reparation, plans to make it better, just on to the mexican american war or the louisiana purchase.

SuperDuperRotoPooper t1_iu2lfpq wrote

>First country in the world to own up to what they did to the natives is a big step forward IMO.

It is. Just wish it had been done sooner. I mean the last residential school closed in 1997.

But I guess better late than never (and to be clear, I'm not being sarcastic - I know how easy this can come across that way).

internetisnotreality t1_iu5rhu8 wrote

I agree. Patriotism is for the willingly blind. The amount of downvotes that pro-indigenous comments are getting in this thread is proof enough that Canada has a long way to go.

SuperDuperRotoPooper t1_iu5tcy9 wrote

Yeah, it's pretty telling and disappointing. But I'm glad there are others like yourself who get it.