Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

popcorn0617 t1_iugfyfn wrote

But attacking a Russian warship thats been firing missiles into Ukraine is terrorism. Got it.

Stormy-Skyes t1_iugxcbr wrote

It’s rules for thee, and not for me, right? He does what he wants and it’s all legal, but when he doesn’t like something it’s a crime and everyone is a terrorist.

FN-0000 t1_iugn4rk wrote

Under the illegal martial law decree he thinks he can legally illegally loot because of the illegal annexation after an illegal referendum during an illegal invasion?

Mind explaining all of that at The Hague, Mr. Putin?

[deleted] t1_iugw9eh wrote

[removed]

−8

dawgblogit t1_iuh1ggi wrote

the link you posted was not about us troops looting but about the us troops not stopping it from happening.

Not stopping iraqis looting the museums.

[deleted] t1_iuh1zza wrote

[removed]

−5

dossopes t1_iugh87l wrote

Destroy evidence of a cultures existence. How many times have we seen this before?

ukralibre t1_iujmfii wrote

They did it with all "member states" in USSR. Killed most of intellectual elites, artists, poets. They created a acceptance committee that checked if art have enough propaganda otherwise. Those who did not comply was at least expelled from the guild and disallowed to produce more art.

7Moisturefarmer t1_iugit7l wrote

Looting Art. So early 1940’s. Did the media mistranslate “denazify” when Putin meant Nazify?

BabylonDrifter t1_iugk6hy wrote

Great, so can we just wait for Putin to open the Lost Ark and have his face melt off?

MasterofAcorns t1_iugv5hp wrote

Eh, I prefer the “Temple of Doom” Kali-Ma scene, but he’s on the wrong side of it…

ForumMMX t1_iuji153 wrote

Or perhaps The Ark of Truth would be more poetic?

Ceramicrabbit t1_iugi09h wrote

I don't think it would have mattered if it was illegal anyways.

pete_68 t1_iuglbwi wrote

Oh. So now it won't be illegal. Does it make a difference? It's not like anyone's going to jail for all the shit they've plundered so far.

dakinekine t1_iugjzde wrote

Some Russians soldiers are literally stealing everything they can. I’ve heard about them taking kitchen appliances, furniture, basically anything of value.

--Gungnir-- t1_iugncy6 wrote

Hermann Göring would be proud of Putin..

ILikeLenexa t1_iugkmws wrote

This is "sovereign citizen" shit.

"Legally", "accept for value"...

udo3 t1_iugocks wrote

No, Putin doesn't sound like Hitler at all. Eye Roll.

Thedukeofhyjinks t1_iugpcu0 wrote

"legally"

Who gives a fuck what Putin wrote on a scrap of paper.

Arbusc t1_iui3aqk wrote

Remember when they said it was a ‘special de-nazification operation?’ Well now not only are they blaming Jewish people in Ukraine and Russia, with a sharp rise in antisemitism, but their now looting art just like the literal fucking Nazi’s. What fucking timeline is this.

TraditionLazy7213 t1_iugjd08 wrote

Nope. You cannot, ruzzia dont make up all the "rules" lol

Matthath t1_iuglsdg wrote

How can looting on foreign soil be legal?

udo3 t1_iugojfx wrote

The same way the former us president can declassify documents by merely thinking it.

Stormy-Skyes t1_iugxal8 wrote

I mean they’ve been trying to steal a whole county, why not take all the statues too? Dude just does whatever the fuck he wants a damn the consequences, he’ll just make all the crimes he did legal and too bad if no one likes it.

apple_kicks t1_iuh8ae2 wrote

Form of cultural genocide.

Art is part of forming Ukrainian cultural identity and history. Which Putin opposes because he doesn’t recognise Ukraine as a country. So looting is weakening and destroying that identity for next generations and a way for him to try and boost moral and economic wins while his own policy has destroyed Russian moral and economic situation

steveschoenberg t1_iuhamsk wrote

It must be really interesting to study law in Russia. One can invade another country, commit thousands of war crimes, without much legal fuss. Then a farcical election can justify a legalistic annexation. Now the further farce of declaring martial law in area they invaded allowing them to loot the place. Alice in Wonderland must be required reading there.

Psychological-Sport1 t1_iujac97 wrote

He must be channeling some dead Nazi…..hey Putin, try channeling this guy called aldof h. Especially the bunker part, you’ll sure to get a bang out of it!

Trek1973 t1_iugjyoh wrote

In Russia they looted and dismantled some religious organizations.

PerryTheRacistPanda t1_iugqpvy wrote

dont get me wrong, but of all the things, this is the least worrying.

kenlasalle t1_iugwxfg wrote

Everything becomes surprisingly legal in war, especially that which isn't.

PEKKACHUNREAL t1_iuh3sn8 wrote

Hey, I‘ve seen this one before…

Cyphierre t1_iuhbaal wrote

“Legally” = Invading army says it’s okay so it’s okay

255001434 t1_iuhehar wrote

This looks like another desperate attempt by Putin to keep his troops loyal by officially offering them spoils. They've been looting with unofficial permission the entire time, so it makes no difference.

BoringWozniak t1_iuhf3vf wrote

And this is why you can never negotiate with Russia. You can’t negotiate with someone who wants your very culture and existence wiped from the face of the earth.

Occurence_Border t1_iuhiny5 wrote

Russia: "to those of our soldiers with the tiniest shred of conscience, rejoice! You are now legally allowed to steal whatever you want from the hated enemy! Due to this most lucrative of ways for the soldiery to earn more, it has been decided to lower your pay in accordance. Glory to mother Russia!"

qwerlancer t1_iuhjq1v wrote

So they admit their lootings are illegal before.

Emotional-Coffee13 t1_iuhsxa5 wrote

Wtf is happening they r only gonna have to give it back so don’t bother

camxct t1_iuhxy2x wrote

"Legally"

Russia bastardizes language to confuse and demoralize.

antsinmypants3 t1_iui1tus wrote

They claim Ukraine is Nazi. The Russians are doing everything the Nazis did to Ukraine. Art theft, destroyed historic buildings. The complete annihilation of Ukrainian culture. Trying to exterminate the Ukrainian people by attempting Genocide.

UndesiredEffect t1_iuirl9r wrote

They've literally been stealing children, food and property. Why not art too?

LifeLoveLaughter t1_iugnjng wrote

This is non-news. When have the Russians cared about what’s legal? It’s not like before martial law, they were debating the legality of stealing from, raping and murdering the Ukrainians…

BroadwayJoeFYVM t1_iugnt78 wrote

Good thing Jinjer are currently on tour in the US.

DutchieTalking t1_iuhwmgj wrote

While I'm seeing nazi comparisons, they're far from the only ones that did this. looking at your exploits, GB

ShmallowMars t1_iuka6xz wrote

Nothing says 'we're not committing war crimes' like trying to make it legal to commit war crimes.

autotldr t1_iugia9z wrote

This is the best tl;dr I could make, original reduced by 75%. (I'm a bot)

> Under Putin's new martial law decree introduced on 19th October 2022, Russian forces can legally loot art in Ukraine.

> Russia's president Vladimir Putin introduced the new martial law decree in annexed Ukrainian territories earlier this month.

> Under the guise of "Preservation", his decree has also explicitly "Legalised" the looting of art and artefacts from Ukraine including ancient gold treasure, paintings and Prince Potemkin's mummified remains, as reported by The Art Newspaper.

Extended Summary | FAQ | Feedback | Top keywords: art^#1 Russian^#2 new^#3 Ukraine^#4 Museum^#5