Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

morenewsat11 t1_iy5ycxh wrote

>A position paper obtained by Reuters - and earlier reported on by the German news site t-online - shows the government wants to do that in part by significantly reducing the income threshhold for migration and introducing a points system.

>"Anyone who lives and works here on a permanent basis should also be able to vote and be elected, they should be part of our country with all the rights and duties that go with it," Chancellor Olaf Scholz said at a televised immigration forum.

>"And this should be completely independent of origin, skin colour or religious affiliation," he added.

Thoth_the_5th_of_Tho t1_iy7nozx wrote

>Anyone who lives and works here on a permanent basis should also be able to vote and be elected

That seems like common sense. No wonder people are opposed.

MaintenanceInternal t1_iy7qau2 wrote

Yea but it's been an issue in the east of Ukraine.

circularhorse t1_iy88s2i wrote

South* where bunch of russian military lived and retired with thrir families. East was a bir different, mainly pro-russian ukrainians, then russia-backed rebellion, followed by russian unofficial military intervention.

pmmichalowski t1_iy7n3jb wrote

I agree with the principle I'm not sure if I agree with what I expect results to be :(

DanskNils t1_iy7jwqk wrote

Time to shine with my C1 level under the “Special Integration” process!

Swift_F0x t1_iy6eghi wrote

Would this possibly make it easier for an American to move there?

Eresbonitaguey t1_iy6qmfo wrote

Points based systems are already in place in Canada, New Zealand and Australia. Americans can move to these places provided that they are valuable enough. Besides the usual skills and education required, Germany will certainly require proof of basic language proficiency. You can move most places already if you can get a company to employ you locally so if you really want to leave the US then your best bet is to learn a skill that’s in demand and get experience.

LightInthewater t1_iy6u51j wrote

>Americans can move to these places provided that they are valuable enough

THis is the big one. It's also not that you are valuable by yourself. IT's that you're valuable on paper.

35 years old and can take apart and rebuild any household appliance, rewire a house and a master plumber? Cool cool. You got the paper work for it? no? fuck off.

For the record I am exaggerating greatly to make a point.

Eresbonitaguey t1_iy72z17 wrote

I get your point but in NZ and Aus we have strict certifications for people who carry out electrical and plumbing work so if you don’t have some formal qualification in them you would have no chance of practicing unless you did an apprenticeship and then that puts you at virtually the same level as a kid out of high school. Obviously all people are inherently valuable but it’s more about if you’re valuable from an economic point of view. Points based systems are arguably superior because they are quite transparent and offer multiple ways to meet the requirements.

drewster23 t1_iy6t572 wrote

So people know Valuable enough, usually means ,not readily available local. (at least If a company is going to be your sponsor/ticket to citizenship).

But if anyone is interested into moving to a country with a points system, look it up so you can see what you can work on, to help your chances. As it covers a range of things.

Eresbonitaguey t1_iy733n0 wrote

Yeah there’s usually a skills shortage list of some kind. Australia even has different ones for different states so you’d want to check the state government requirements especially for trades.

Divinate_ME t1_iy7naf0 wrote

Multiple citizenships at once would lead to unequal distribution of political power in a globalized world. If I can vote for 2 governments, then I have double the political power. Start to think globally ffs, it's not that hard.

Eresbonitaguey t1_iy9c3wp wrote

As someone with multiple citizenships, why would I bother to vote for the country that I don’t live in? Sometimes there are significant hurdles in registering to vote if you don’t have a local address or proof of residency. It’s a big enough challenge to get people to vote in elections of the place that they live let alone everywhere that they have citizenship. Additionally in quite a few places including NZ you don’t need citizenship to vote and can achieve the same with residency which I think is fair because if you live in a country (and pay taxes) for years then you should have a say in political affairs.

Gammelpreiss t1_iy804a3 wrote

When i was in my late 20ies I got a job offee from the US which was really attractive.

Upon hearing that I would not be able to vote or being influential in politics I declined. No taxation without representation. Giving the US my skills and have my voice taken away in return was not an option.

As such I can relate to these policies and support them.

−1

stalinsilver t1_iy6mkta wrote

Literally Importing a voter base

−5

drewster23 t1_iy6sre4 wrote

You think migrants shouldn't ever be allowed to vote...?

stalinsilver t1_iy6w7vy wrote

Maybe you should check out who majority of Turkish Germans or Turkish diaspora in Europe voted for in Turkey. Same for migrants lot of other countries. Allowing these migrants to vote means these dictators or countries like Poland, Hungary, Russia etc can influence election It also incentives parties to promote migrants to create a future vote Base

Only people born and brought up in Germany should be allowed to vote that is the children of migrants born in Germany.

kraenk12 t1_iy7p5aa wrote

Except those Turks you are talking about already WERE born and brought up in Germany.

jainmehul973 t1_iy7i1w7 wrote

Lmao so a person who has moved lived here for 10 years paid taxed all that time shouldn’t be able to vote? You people are crazy!

mithik t1_iy7lwwu wrote

By the same argument shoul a person living and paying taxes in different country lose a right to vote in his native country?

sm_raleigh t1_iy7neg7 wrote

As someone who has immigrated here, fuck you. I have spent years learning the language, customs, and working my ass off. You are not the gatekeeper of who gets to vote in Germany. Go back to your cave, troll.

drewster23 t1_iy6wlg8 wrote

Yeah mate you know you could've just fucken said yes that's your belief than wasting your time explaining your racist pov.

You think Westen immigrants don't exist in German either or something?

and refugees aren't citizens.

−1

stalinsilver t1_iy6wtet wrote

I literally mentioned polish Hungary. Russia. Should I add Romania too

−6

drewster23 t1_iy6x1fe wrote

Hungary , and russia are part of the west now?

Poland would be the only one.

Yet you still dont understand refugees aren't immigrants.

And you need citizenship to vote.

stalinsilver t1_iy6xtje wrote

When did Polish, Turkish, Russian become Refugees. They were always immigrants .

drewster23 t1_iy6y1la wrote

Mb, Okay so you think no migrants anywhere should be allowed to earn citizenship. (because then they could vote)

Got it,

Definitely racist.

But i understand.

stalinsilver t1_iy6ynea wrote

No the rules should not be relaxed like Germany is doing now. They should mandate single citizenship too

−2

landertxia93 t1_iy754gt wrote

The kinds of immigrants that Germany has? The ones that vote for Erdogan? No

mhornberger t1_iy6qshc wrote

And workers, consumers, and taxpayers.

stalinsilver t1_iy6wpih wrote

Or people who drive the minimum wage down so corporations can keep the wages down.

nice_cunt69 t1_iy7hn5f wrote

Germany isn't America

Thoth_the_5th_of_Tho t1_iy7nsmx wrote

America isn't America either in that case. Regions of the US with more immigrants have higher wage growth. The states that don't have any immigrants to 'keep wages down', are poorer, and have slower growth.

stalinsilver t1_iy7hu3i wrote

Ah, Mexicans in US. Eastern Europeans in Germany

nice_cunt69 t1_iy7hx9o wrote

As I said, Germany isn't america

kraenk12 t1_iy7pemb wrote

Except in Germany those people are just working illegally for wages way below the minimum wage. I don’t think there’s much of a difference tbh.

nice_cunt69 t1_iy7r4ja wrote

Lol

−1

kraenk12 t1_iy7w26u wrote

So you want to tell me that’s different in the US? What’s so funny?

nice_cunt69 t1_iy7wcf7 wrote

Firstly there aren't nearly as many illegal immigrants even on per capita basis so makes it much harder to break the laws and labour laws are stricter in Germany with higher unionization rates.

Gammelpreiss t1_iy830zl wrote

Mate, as a German I have no idea what you are laughing about. The low wage sector has been steadily expanded over the last 20 years and Germany has a huge black market issue.

−1

nice_cunt69 t1_iy84gi7 wrote

I never said it's perfect, just that's its not as bad as America.

Reginald002 t1_iy7e5f0 wrote

The current german government makes the german citizenship to an easy to obtain give-away. All the rights but no obligations. I do not need such comrades with german passport.

−7

HerrSchnabeltier t1_iy7hs3y wrote

Oh, yeah, reducing the years required to be able to apply for citizenship from eight to five years is definitely a giveaway.

Mein Herr, I'd go as far and say we don't need you.

Reginald002 t1_iy7imaq wrote

Come on honey, it is not that. I do not like the dual citizenship.

CuntWeasel t1_iy7ycst wrote

Germany already allows for dual citizenship under certain circumstances (i.e. birth rights and people who hold another EU/EEA citizenship).

Edit: source.

Eresbonitaguey t1_iy9exrc wrote

They also allow you to retain your other citizenship if it is too difficult or expensive to denounce (Read: American). Germany is pretty chill about these things in general.