Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

deletable666 t1_iyf23y2 wrote

Google what causality means.

*Casualty

VanquishedVoid t1_iyf34pr wrote

> Google what causality means

causality

noun

The principle of or relationship between cause and effect.A causal agency, force, or quality.That which constitutes a cause; the activity of causing; the character of an event as causing.

BKStephens t1_iyf2ko1 wrote

casualty noun (INJURED)

a person injured or killed in a serious accident or war

Serious being the operative word here.

−29

deletable666 t1_iyf332y wrote

Lmao. You are a trip dude. Doubling down instead of just admitting you were confused. Take care fellow. Bless your heart

BKStephens t1_iyf3ofv wrote

If you read the full thread you can quite clearly see where I admitted my confusion and what it was about.

It was not about what "casualty" means.

−17

deletable666 t1_iyf3x8m wrote

Clearly you still have some confusion on what a casualty is, and there is no reason for me to read through all your other replies to other comments I am not involved in.

Take care, goodbye

BKStephens t1_iyf4qkb wrote

No confusion. I even Googled it like you advised, and put it right there for you to read.

Or is there no reason for you to read through all my replies? Even if they're directly to you?

−5

wrosecrans t1_iyfc8rd wrote

In the phrase "serious accident" the adjective serious modifies the noun accident.

Are you saying somebody accidentally sent a letter bomb?

teaklog2 t1_iyfd6lv wrote

Going to jump in and argue the grammar here specifically, in an ‘or’ statement like that the ‘serious’ can also modify both things being listed.

‘i want to buy a red car or truck’ does not imply you want a red car or any colored truck

‘an accretive merger or acquisition’ - doesn’t imply you don’t care if the acquisition is accretive or not

unless you are saying if you want to say ‘I want to buy a red car, table, blanket, and shirt!’ you should instead say ‘i want to buy a red car, a red table, a red blanket, and a red shirt!’

if you want to remove that assumption from your sentence, you could instead say ‘a truck or a red car’ or ‘a red car or any colored truck.’

wrosecrans t1_iyfejq3 wrote

In that case, the reading is that a wartime casualty can only happen in a "serious war," and someone killed in a minor border conflict wouldn't count as a casualty. Is that a reasonable reading of the definition?