Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Tussen3tot20tekens t1_iy41cde wrote

By just reading the title you can tell OP is Turkish. Because that’s not how you spell Turkey in English.

Edit. TIL the was a name change in May 2022. Sorry I was not yet aware of this. And by OP I thought I was referencing to the article, by the same title.

Zhukov-74 OP t1_iy46zhd wrote

>By just reading the title you can tell OP is Turkish

I am afraid you are wrong.

Matthiey t1_iy4pbys wrote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey

They have officially changed their name to "Turkiye" or the "Republic of Turkiye" about a year or two ago. They are strongly pushing other countries to refer to them as such.

Yes, I am aware that the wiki article says "Turkey" in the headline.

havok0159 t1_iy4xorv wrote

They can ask all they want. You can't reasonably expect people speaking about your country in English to start using letters not present in English. You won't see me asking people to write România and not Romania even though they sound quite different and would spare us a lot of misidentification issues with the Romani (which btw is a far worse problem than being associated with a bird).

Take a more recent example with Kyiv/Kiev. Imagine if instead of Kyiv, Ukrainians would have been asking us to call it Київ.

Matthiey t1_iy52e8m wrote

Every letter is available to you: T U R K I Y E. You don't need the accents or dots that aren't available in english. In fact that is how it is written at the UN.

−8

suomikim t1_iy7p2ex wrote

so they really don't mind if i don't use the u with two dots over it? tbh, that makes it fall from 'are you completely serious" to... oh, Turkiye? Okay, no problem.

Tussen3tot20tekens t1_iy4qdn3 wrote

If you read the whole article it states that the UN complied with the change at their request in may 2022. (And that newspaper is a Tükiyeish? Government supported news outlet.

[deleted] t1_iy42zvt wrote

[removed]

−1

Loltty t1_iy43j7t wrote

But Turkey fits so well! Their president looks like a Turkey, and even have the same intelligence as one!

WorldsBestPapa t1_iy4bexd wrote

The name of the country in Turkish has changed. Do you see people in the Anglo sphere calling Germany Deutschland ? No, because Germany is the English work for Deutschland. Turkey is the English word you daft idiot. I’m really not sure why redditors have such a hard on for the Turkey name change.

−1

Superbassio t1_iy4l32c wrote

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/6/2/un-registers-turkiye-as-new-country-name-for-turkey

Pretty sure Türkiye has always been the Turkish name. It is now also the English official name. I'm not sure why redditors have such a hard time using Google.

mrObelixfromgaul t1_iy4mgcx wrote

Ah don't worry, as a citizen of the Netherlands we know what you going through. Perhaps if el presedente will changes his mind over Finland and Sweden we could perhaps tember it correctly

WorldsBestPapa t1_iy5aw9q wrote

It is the official English name…according to Turkey - which has no bearing whatsoever on how English speakers use the language.