Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

xc2215x t1_j29btxu wrote

Wow, that is a terrifying number of journalists to die. So sad to see.

autotldr t1_j29dzd0 wrote

This is the best tl;dr I could make, original reduced by 80%. (I'm a bot)

> Nearly 1,700 journalists have been killed worldwide over the past 20 years, an average of more than 80 a year, according to an analysis published by Reporters Without Borders.

> Iraq and Syria were the most dangerous countries to work as a journalist, accounting for "a combined total of 578 journalists killed in the past 20 years, or more than a third of the worldwide total", RSF said.

> Ukraine is currently the most dangerous country in Europe for the media, after Russia itself, where 25 journalists have been killed over the past 20 years.

Extended Summary | FAQ | Feedback | Top keywords: journalist^#1 year^#2 killed^#3 RSF^#4 report^#5

pantie_fa t1_j29g6vs wrote

Whoops. I guess calling-out fascists and gangsters (same thing, really), is dangerous. . . .

−13

IntermittentCaribu t1_j29r664 wrote

Without comparative reference, this is a worthless number. How many non-journalists were killed in the last 20 years? Is the probability of getting killed higher as a journalist or non-journalist?

Im not doing the research the article was suposed to do.

−8

Cautious-Doughnut-83 t1_j29sjsl wrote

It doesn’t make sense to compare the number of journalists killed to the number of non journalists killed in this situation. Obviously the number of non journalists would be much much higher. These two groups of people are also largely being killed for different reasons. Why do you think this is a worthless number?

IntermittentCaribu t1_j29t8ho wrote

> Obviously the number of non journalists would be much much higher.

The goal would be to compare the percentages. Are you more likely to get killed in Syria as a journalist or as a used car salesman? If its the same, what is the point of this article? Dont go to Syria?

gamest01 t1_j2acmy6 wrote

I am not sure why you are getting downvoted. I thought the same thing. How many journalist in total were there in the last 20 years? And how does the percentage of killed compare with percentage of non journalist killed?

A_Soporific t1_j2aful3 wrote

It's actually substantially lower than I'd thought. It's not even one a day. For the whole world.

There are plenty of jobs that average one a day through worksite accidents or exposure to toxins necessary to get the job done. Even being a boring office drone results in more than one suicide or "death by overwork" a day if you're including China, Japan, and South Korea.

Don't get me wrong. Each and every one of those is a tragedy, but the number there actually makes me feel that we're in a better place than I thought we were.

00BeardedTerror t1_j2bgg4o wrote

951 construction workers died on the job in 2021 alone. The year before that, 1,008. These numbers were 14 and 15% lower than average because of Covid lockdowns and job site shutdowns. This is just fatal job site accident deaths, this does not include deaths from occupational diseases. You hear that?

That’s the sound of Crickets.

−4

Robw1970 t1_j2bnnsh wrote

75% in Russia itself, shit if Trump won he'd be doing the same thing.

−1

JournalistMiddle527 t1_j2bo465 wrote

How many of those construction workers were shot or executed? You can't really compare accidental deaths to murders, maybe comparison of the deaths in Qatar workers building the stadium is a more fair comparison or where there is a malicious lack of health and safety regulations.

1guywhosaysthe t1_j2bt295 wrote

Were any of them faux news or Murdock journos ?

−1

TangerineNo697 t1_j2c5wjt wrote

No mention of gender, strange. Lol jk, we know the majority are men yet the gender obsessed media won't mention that.

−5

MessiSahib t1_j2c9wan wrote

That number is for the entire world for the last twenty years. There must be dozens and dozens of jobs that are more dangerous, yet receive little sympathy from the news media and general public.

Most of the journalists aren't putting their lives on line, most of the journalists ignore important and relevant News and pump out cheap news that gets clicks/retweets. Journalists and editors are also responsible for curating news, manipulating story, pumping out headlines that grab attention and distorts the truth.

News media OTOH, keeps on praising itself and hyping up any risks the organizations or journalists take to raise their profile. My sympathy is with the journalists that are actually reporting from the dangerous areas (war zones, jihadi and extremists camps), not with the most of the journalists that live in safe city pumping out cheap headlines.

MessiSahib t1_j2ca97b wrote

Yep. News media constantly pat itself on the back, and take glory from a tiny portion of journalists that take actual risks and paints the entire industry with the glory of their work.

Most of the journalists, are too busy selecting news that fit their readers viewpoints, using their wild imagination to create headlines, use all of their education to pump in opinions in news, all to get more clicks/retweets/subscription.

−4

spaphytwitch t1_j2cak8x wrote

I think someone else’s bid to address deaths by country is more interesting: generally if you kill a reporter it’s to stop information getting out or being collected which would be pretty gender neutral, where by country would give you an indication of what countries are heavily involved in censorship.

A_Soporific t1_j2cbcnt wrote

I'm not really qualified to answer that question. Though, I think a fair amount of it depends on definitions. If you include news adjacent talking heads and news-themed youtubers there'd be quite a few. After all, most nations have national and regional government mouthpieces. Then you have major cities and their newspapers, radio stations, and TV news. Even third world places have at least newspapers and radio stations.

But, yeah, journalist isn't nearly as common as construction workers or miners.

I do think that government and organized crime murders of journalists are substantially worse on a pound by pound comparison. It was just happening less often than I had previously assumed.

A_Soporific t1_j2ccm36 wrote

Yellow Journalism has always been the default, though.

If you go through lists of small town newspapers you often see them named "Republican", "Democrat", or "Independent" because they were often owned and operated by political parties until the early 20th century when they started regulating such things.

Nectarine-Due t1_j2cd5pe wrote

How many were actually intelligence operatives with a journalist cover?

−1

PrimarySwan t1_j2f36ap wrote

I do mean proper journalists, not talking heads and all that. The ones who do the work that is then ripped off by 5k clickbait sites and badly misquoted. News hosts can be journalists and often are former ones but often not.