Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

bumass666 t1_j2al5oh wrote

As long as they’re the most qualified, I don’t think race should ever preface any of these headlines

−41

dbgzeus t1_j2alw4e wrote

Well, who understands the issues of native people better than native people?

Darth_Kyofu t1_j2avovg wrote

You'd think a native would be among the most qualified to run the Ministry of Native Peoples, no? Regardless, it's a stupid argument anyway. People of different cultural and ethnic backgrounds bring different life experiences that are important to make sure the government is able to do what is best for everyone in the country, and you're also implying there's no one qualified for the position within an entire race.

Murghchanay t1_j2b3xeg wrote

It's also a stupid argument, because almost nobody is chosen on merit alone. Just go through all the white people in the Trump administration (and almost all other administrations). Did their race not play a role?

bumass666 t1_j2bjbei wrote

Yeah an indigenous person is obviously the best fit for this role. No, I’m not implying that there’s no one qualified in any given race. I just think there is too much emphasis on it generally

Unosez t1_j2brbgb wrote

And many would disagree with that.. You don't fix centuries of systemic inequality based on race or gender sexual choice etc.. By saying we're all super equal now.. Now humans will just get what they deserve by the work they do..

stanglemeir t1_j2dqvk5 wrote

I’d say it depends. If there are two people with similar qualifications, the Native Person would obviously be the more qualified due to their personal experience. But a non-native could be more qualified than an individual native person.

In the USA a good example of a bad choice was Ben Carson for Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. A disproportionate number of people in government housing are minorities and Ben Carson lived in government housing as a child and is a minority.

But Ben Carson was a surgeon. And not at all qualified to be in his position. He did a very middling job. Not terrible but obviously a better person could have been chosen. It was very obvious that his appointment was done because Trump wanted to throw Carson a bone for his support.

millijuna t1_j2egd6m wrote

Actually, in Canada, the equivalent role is generally not filled by an indigenous person. Why? Because it wouldn’t be fair to have a First Nations person negotiate against their own people on behalf of the crown. It would put them an untenable conflict of interest.

renaum t1_j2coqxi wrote

People least affected by racism hate being reminded racism exists

HolIerer t1_j2c5uny wrote

It’s important. It tells indigenous kids that they can aspire to such things, and it breaks stereotypes about Indigenous people for the mainstream population.

Visibility of these things isn’t racist: it’s important because the status quo is one of race-based disadvantage.

mangledmonkey t1_j2bb36x wrote

Well, neither 'indigenous' nor 'woman' are part of any race. So, this headline passes your preferential needs in this instance.

sumpfkraut666 t1_j2cz3pl wrote

'Indigenous' is an ethnic background, that is specifically what is colloqually refered to as "race" if (and only if) you are not a racist.

For actual old-school racists who adhere to the long disproven "race theory", 'indigenous to brazil' is not a race.

mangledmonkey t1_j2d1hu0 wrote

Well, you can hold that understanding regardless of how correct or incorrect it is. And to imply someone is 'old school racist' because someone says a word is not indicative of a single race, is a bit outside of the comment I made.

Indigenous peoples are defined as a place-based ethnic culture wherein the people have not migrated from their homeland.

For instance, for indigenous peoples in island nations across the south east asian archipelago, are they all different 'races'? Since they're broadly distributed, wouldn't we need to distinguish them by distinct races? We don't. Not outside of context anyways. Sure, people incorrectly use 'indigenous' as a minority racial classification in areas where there are a large group of what a nation may consider it's indigenous peoples. But, if I happen to be an indigenous person from Africa and the classification is for something like a job application, there's not a checkbox for 'indigenous to what region' because they assume Native America/American Indian since it's the primary 'indigenous' ethnic group (not racial group) we take into account in the US. And that is different in each nation depending on it's people because indigenous is a location and ethnic/cultural based word, not race.

It would be pretty hard pressed to argue that. How about in Africa with the hundreds of indigenous tribes? Are they different races now too? They all come from distinct areas on the continent and often are isolated to the point that interaction with one-another may never have occurred. Indigenous doesn't mean race, even if you want it to. It's location and culture based, it definitely has correlation with a racial groups, but it isn't the same definition. At least, this is my understanding. Not really a specialty of mine, I just thought it was a somewhat funny/snarky reply not really intended to spark a debate or even discredit the other commenter's comment.

sumpfkraut666 t1_j2d5bfv wrote

> For instance, for indigenous peoples in island nations across the south east asian archipelago, are they all different 'races'?

If they developed cultural differences, yes. The biological concept of 'race' really isn't applicable to humans, so the modern understanding is that a distinct cultural heritage can suffice to be considered a distinct ethnicity.

The situation in Africa is pretty much the same: there are hundreds of different 'indigenous' ethnicites. 'Indigenous' obviously isn't an ethnicity but it describes one without naming it. There is also a history of ethnic violence between those groups going on to this day.

mangledmonkey t1_j2dciac wrote

Ah, I see. You don't actually understand the differences between a race, culture, or ethnicity. Jere is a light overview:

1. Race is ONLY applicable to humans. It's just a social classification, not actually a scientific designation in any way shape or form.
  2. Culture is a collective set of a group of people's customs, arts, achievements, traditions, etc.
  3. Ethnicity is a quality of belonging to a group who share a culture.

Again, none of these are the same as being indigenous, even though there is a lot of cross over since indigenous peoples (in a specific area) usually are of one race, may share a common culture (or set of cultures), and arguably may be of the same ethnic group.

−1

Stensi24 t1_j2cey2m wrote

Why do I only see comments like this when it’s not a caucasian man?

KiloPCT t1_j2d1p9r wrote

Because when it's a caucasian man their race and gender aren't prominently splashed across the headlines?