Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

jphamlore t1_j5pe5jc wrote

The BBC is fairly protective of all of their IP regardless of what it is? I'm not sure the Internet Archive can store for a long time BBC documentaries about anything even if they are made by Sir David Attenborough about nature.

autotldr t1_j5pfsku wrote

This is the best tl;dr I could make, original reduced by 44%. (I'm a bot)

> The Internet Archive has taken down a widely circulated upload of the first episode of the BBC's The Modi Question, the documentary that questions Prime Minister Narendra Modi's leadership during the 2002 Gujarat Muslim genocide.

> The Internet Archive has emerged as one of the primary sources where the documentary has been shared for viewing by Indian users after multiple YouTube videos and more than a hundred tweets with links to the YouTube videos were ordered to be taken down by the Union government.

> The two-part BBC documentary cited a previously classified British foreign ministry report saying that Modi met senior police officers and "Ordered them not to intervene" in the attacks on Muslims that followed.

Extended Summary | FAQ | Feedback | Top keywords: documentary^#1 Archive^#2 Internet^#3 upload^#4 Modi^#5

MrPhraust t1_j5phi7i wrote

I’ll be releasing the documentary to a server that will be forwarding this documentary nonstop around the world to organizations for a period of 2 years.

Good luck.

ttkciar t1_j5pibl4 wrote

Yes and no.

The Archive is very responsive to content owners requesting that their property is removed from the site (either by sending a request to The Archive or by modifying their own robots.txt; the Wayback Machine checks the live robots.txt before serving up old content and uses it as a filter).

On the other hand, there's no law forbidding companies or individuals from keeping a local-only copy of others' IP for non-public use, so IA doesn't actually delete content. They "darken" it instead, which means it's still in the data cluster back-end but inaccessible from the outside.

papaHans t1_j5qbvm3 wrote

Next Modi will be calling the BBC over and over again if they want to renew their car warranty.

zebrahdh t1_j5qem5y wrote

Is that a service that’s offered or do you do the coding yourself? So many wannabe activists just talking and doing nothing, it’s good to see you actually doing something.

nopower81 t1_j5ql1zt wrote

A person took that down, who? Why? Be mad at the correct cause

Erisagi t1_j5sy2x4 wrote

Is it only available through normal and easily accessible websites if you're in the UK? I understand that India asked websites to take it down but does that affect access in other countries like the United States too?

lDanceLikeThis t1_j5titim wrote

will this take down help qualify the popularity of this Modi Doc as a victim of the Streissand effect?^(wiki)

GlasNomad t1_j5u0e29 wrote

taxpayer funded, doubt they'll take it down. it's as easy as picking a random postcode and basically has an honor system asking if you have a tv license (which of course we all do right?)