Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

regaphysics t1_irirc3o wrote

Sorry, I meant chromexcel, which is the majority of what you’ll find in wallets from them.

Edit: I’ve also found their Dublin/derby to be very soft and susceptible to damage also

riadfodig t1_irislu3 wrote

So you're recommending against veg tan and chromexcel? What does that leave? I was under the impression veg tan and chrome tan were the main types of leather available.

Snuggledtoopieces t1_iriunwo wrote

Vegtan leather is really tough. Most high quality leather boots are made out of it.

regaphysics t1_irivofh wrote

Veg tan is rigid, but highly susceptible to oil and water. And if you scratch it, it is harder to get out/reduce the appearance, since it’s less oily.

Snuggledtoopieces t1_iriwpno wrote

What are you talking about? It’s impregnated with vegetable oils and is water resistant.

If you are getting motor oil on something it’s obviously going to absorb that oil and stain unless you use a proper pretreat.

Vegetable tanned leather is supple and flexible, and most scratches are superficial and buff out or can be repaired with regular leather care.

VisualKeiKei t1_irixes9 wrote

How does oak bark tan fare? Or does it fall under the same category as veg tan?

cherlin t1_irlfymx wrote

I've got a 12 year.old horween chromexcel wallet and work in construction, I suppose it should be destroyed by this point then?

regaphysics t1_irlg8wt wrote

All depends how much you baby it, of course.

Mine gets scratched up by my keys - it’s that soft.

cherlin t1_irllzt0 wrote

All leather gets scratched by keys, that's how hardness works. Surface Scratches don't make something less durable

regaphysics t1_irmmy18 wrote

The depth and appearance is much much more dramatic than my other wallets. Chromexcel is very soft - that’s one of the objectives of the tanning process for it. Definitely one of the least durable leathers. It is stretchy and soft by design.

cherlin t1_irn1m0a wrote

Which isn't bad in a wallet, chromexcel wallets can easily last a lifetime, and who wants a big thick bulky wallet that isn't plyable?

regaphysics t1_irn362d wrote

My saddleback and veg tan wallets are not substantially thicker but all look much better as they’ve aged. And I baby my chromexcel one.

I wouldn’t buy chromexcel for a wallet again.

And yeah, pretty much any full grain leather can last a lifetime: the question is how it looks and whether it stretches/warps. Chromexcel doesn’t fare well versus the alternatives.