Submitted by Mbrannon42 t3_xytwdb in BuyItForLife

Hey guys, I'm a diesel mechanic and it's time to replace my wallet. I've been carrying a low profile credit card holder with a magnet money clip for a while, but all of my cards are getting destroyed by sand/dirt falling inside and rubbing the cards. I hate a fat wallet, and I don't really think I would like the tall ones that can hold a checkbook. I also want it to look nice when we go out to eat dinner. I prefer leather, but another material that meets my needs would be just as good

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Diotima245 t1_irl04pr wrote

Trayvax wallets they’re rock solid. My Trayvax axis looks brand new almost 8 years later… I have a ridge wallet also but I don’t like the mechanism for using it. I still may switch to it a while tho… one day….

GuntersTag t1_irll19e wrote

Gave in and got a trayvax. I wanted a slim wallet to help with back pain as I have nerve issues. It's the metal one (aluminium?) with the Paracord holding the two pieces together. I LOVE this wallet, holds my cards, has a money clip on one side, and the money clip can be used as a bottle opener.

I will use this wallet until it can't go anymore then I will get another. This is my forever wallet.

[deleted] t1_irlffip wrote

Wallets come up in this sub every once in a while and there’s ALWAYS somebody repping trayvax. They’re fantastic.

Diotima245 t1_irph2ua wrote

Just ordered a Renegade last week. I was looking at the element also.

JulianMarcello t1_itlylhj wrote

Owned a Trayvax for more than 6 years. Looks great and it’s definitely a BIFL

regaphysics t1_irintvd wrote

Saddleback is tough as nails; I have other hand made “fancy” wallets, but the saddleback is tough and has aged the best of them all.

Highly recommended you don’t get anything with horween leather, or even veg tan leather, given your line of work and how tough you likely are on leather. I can dig my fingernails into horween leather with ease.

Snuggledtoopieces t1_irir6ly wrote

Horween is a company not a leather type. So it really just depends on what kind of leather you bought from them.

They make football leather, and that’s anything but soft. Their cordovan is amazing and very durable, considering it’s horse leather.

regaphysics t1_irirc3o wrote

Sorry, I meant chromexcel, which is the majority of what you’ll find in wallets from them.

Edit: I’ve also found their Dublin/derby to be very soft and susceptible to damage also

riadfodig t1_irislu3 wrote

So you're recommending against veg tan and chromexcel? What does that leave? I was under the impression veg tan and chrome tan were the main types of leather available.

Snuggledtoopieces t1_iriunwo wrote

Vegtan leather is really tough. Most high quality leather boots are made out of it.

regaphysics t1_irivofh wrote

Veg tan is rigid, but highly susceptible to oil and water. And if you scratch it, it is harder to get out/reduce the appearance, since it’s less oily.

Snuggledtoopieces t1_iriwpno wrote

What are you talking about? It’s impregnated with vegetable oils and is water resistant.

If you are getting motor oil on something it’s obviously going to absorb that oil and stain unless you use a proper pretreat.

Vegetable tanned leather is supple and flexible, and most scratches are superficial and buff out or can be repaired with regular leather care.

VisualKeiKei t1_irixes9 wrote

How does oak bark tan fare? Or does it fall under the same category as veg tan?

cherlin t1_irlfymx wrote

I've got a 12 year.old horween chromexcel wallet and work in construction, I suppose it should be destroyed by this point then?

regaphysics t1_irlg8wt wrote

All depends how much you baby it, of course.

Mine gets scratched up by my keys - it’s that soft.

cherlin t1_irllzt0 wrote

All leather gets scratched by keys, that's how hardness works. Surface Scratches don't make something less durable

regaphysics t1_irmmy18 wrote

The depth and appearance is much much more dramatic than my other wallets. Chromexcel is very soft - that’s one of the objectives of the tanning process for it. Definitely one of the least durable leathers. It is stretchy and soft by design.

cherlin t1_irn1m0a wrote

Which isn't bad in a wallet, chromexcel wallets can easily last a lifetime, and who wants a big thick bulky wallet that isn't plyable?

regaphysics t1_irn362d wrote

My saddleback and veg tan wallets are not substantially thicker but all look much better as they’ve aged. And I baby my chromexcel one.

I wouldn’t buy chromexcel for a wallet again.

And yeah, pretty much any full grain leather can last a lifetime: the question is how it looks and whether it stretches/warps. Chromexcel doesn’t fare well versus the alternatives.

RobertUlyssesBlynde t1_irrw0j5 wrote

I’ve had my saddleback wallet for close to 10 years now, it just looks better with age.

Snuggledtoopieces t1_irirpxl wrote

Kangaroo full grain is about as durable and thin as it gets for leather, but honestly you’d be better off will a “shell” wallet that’s got a waterproof gasket. That’ll keep the dust out.

BedderDaddy t1_irio9cy wrote

Im in to see what comes of this.

I have used a coach card wallet for a decade + & just got a new one. I just leave my wallet out of work. Ive seen metal card wallets with intricate mechanisms born to fail. I've sat on 5" thick buffalo nuts.

I just leave my wallet out of my work.

Junior_Ad2955 t1_iriognv wrote

Buffalo Billfold Company makes great wallets- also made in the US. All top grain leather, no genuine leather bs.

Alexlotl t1_iriqc59 wrote

I’ve used a Slimmy brand wallet for about 12 years now. Leather, holds a few cards and a few notes, low enough profile to keep in a front pocket. The only hard part of the transition is downscaling from a pocket brick, and it sounds like you’ve already done that.

My first one had a plastic window for ID - the window plastic eventually split, but the rest of the wallet was intact. Replaced it with an all leather one, can’t see why I wouldn’t still be using it in 20 years.

ancient_leathercraft t1_irisfxg wrote

Lots of good leatherworkers on etsy! Handmade and using full grain leather

Mobile-Alps4363 t1_irjjsdx wrote

Dooney and Bourke

Men are pickier than women when it comes to a wallet. But each of us has our own preferences. I’ve had this wallet for a number of years after seeing one similar to it that my wife has. One of the best wallets I’ve ever had, never thought I would adjust so well to a zippered one. I even bought a second one as my experience has taught me good things go away when you are ready for a new one. I will probably gift it to my son or grandson as the wear has been minimal on the one I am using. The more I use it, the better it looks! Good luck in your search.

https://www.dooney.com/florentine-small-zip-around-wallet-9Y329RD.html

iMoneyProMax t1_irkno9z wrote

Correct me if I’m wrong but ridge wallet has lifetime warranty I believe.

Chubbalicio t1_irlsn15 wrote

I’m new to leather working but I’d be happy to try and make you something for free dude. I need the practice anyways. It’ll last forever jist might have some amateur touches lol

Mbrannon42 OP t1_irmharl wrote

That would be hardcore! If you let me know beforehand how much it would cost, I can pay for the materials at the very least. Ill shoot a pm with my email so we can talk about it more

l0ngtrail t1_irmcmn9 wrote

Tumi passport wallet. I’ve had it for 7 years of traveling, still looks almost new.

Present_Astronaut458 t1_irn3mxw wrote

I’ve used a Saddleback ID wallet for 10ish years. Still in great condition, but it can only hold so much, especially cash. I recently switched to an Osprey small Arcane zip pouch because it can hold more cards/crap than the saddleback.

mark5hs t1_irngvjw wrote

Big Skinny.

Best value in wallets IMO. The leather hybrid is $33, good quality materials, very thin and low profile. Mine is 6 years old with no damage whatsoever. I'm seeing people recommend $100+ ones and I really dont see how you'd justify paying over triple the price.

ad700x t1_is1rvwz wrote

Mine fell apart after 8 years or so

Clear_Amphibian t1_irsekdl wrote

I would like to make a case for the saddleback bifold

While the wallet is 5.5” x 4.25” the area allows you to carry more cards with less thickness. I keep the wallet in my back pocket and find the larger area makes it more comfortably by dispersing the pressure when sitting.

As for durability it is pretty much bombproof.

I keep 2 or 3 cards or id’s in each of the four slots. Enough room for cc’s, DL, insurance cards, and a couple necessary other cards.

My vaccine card fits in the pouch behind the cards without folding and the bills pocket is super secure.

After 12 years of hard use it still looks great and makes me feel like an adult every time I pull it out

saddleback large billfold

rutsh95 t1_iritwv0 wrote

Look up Craft and Lore, which is just a couple of guys in Idaho. I backed a Kickstarter of theirs in 2018 for a slim leather wallet, and it has been one of my best purchases from Kickstarter. You choose the type of leather you want when ordering.

bmilwcpa t1_isdhglz wrote

Another vote for Craft and Lore. I’ve had their port wallet since 2014, and that was after cycling through many other wallets in my quest to find “the” wallet. The wallet is as good as the day I got it, my groomsmen all got one, and my wife uses one now too. Top notch.

wordsofshep t1_irj907x wrote

I'm really enjoying my ridge wallet. No room for cards aka bullshit. Just some cards and cash.