Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

oldenuff2know t1_jatmngp wrote

I'm a fan of rubber brooms. They're great on hardwood, tile and lino. Easy to clean if you get dust bunnies hung up in them or sweep thru something wet. Washable. Great on pet hair on hard flooring and carpet.

SummerJaneG t1_jatoj76 wrote

They PULL pet hair from carpet, bedspreads, clothing, cat trees…you name it! Also pick up every bit of lint and sand from the floor.

zazarinrac t1_jatrnzh wrote

Thanks! I didn’t even know those were a thing!

oldenuff2know t1_jattwe4 wrote

They're all over Amazon and probably Home Depot and other stores as well. The only brand I've ever purchased was YellowTop. They were advertised on some home shopping thing (QVC maybe?) 20 or so years ago. We got 2 brooms and the hand brush all still going strong. The one we use outside probably needs to be replaced because it gets used on concrete a lot. We like this brand because of the flat squeege blade on one side.

The quality of their product was good 20 years ago and I'm guessing it still is since they're still around.

who-are-we-anyway t1_jauqii8 wrote

They're awesome! I really can't recommend them enough for anyone with pets, they're great for anyone really but especially those dealing with pet hair. I bought one off Amazon for my mom 6 years ago, 2 years ago when I lived with my dad I also bought him one, and then I bought myself one when I moved on my own. I bought one called the FURemover off Amazon and all three are still going strong!

purrrreeto t1_jauwv5x wrote

Are these good for crumbs and small debris or mostly just pet hair?

oldenuff2know t1_jawoedb wrote

I think they’re better for stuff like than than a regular straw broom.

Tiggertots t1_jazv25h wrote

Yesssss rubber brooms are amazing. I have used mine to scrub my tub also.

DEGREEINWIGGLES t1_jathk8t wrote

I got myself a tied corn straw broom off of Etsy about three years ago. It’s beautiful and still looks brand new, it does a great job. I think they’re also known as shaker brooms, straw brooms or corn straw brooms. I got it because my mom had one that lasted her from the time I was a little one up until she died and wanted something that would last.

rPZeJUV2R4JMRpArp t1_jatalic wrote

Go to your local restaurant supply store and get a wooden handle broom with straw head. Can’t do much better than this and it’ll set you back $10-$15

Boobi-esq t1_jau2xo7 wrote

Sounds like the ones you’re buying are the Cadillac of house brooms based on my experience owning a Cadillac 😂

hustonat t1_jatlz01 wrote

If you want a broom that will last and is higher quality than anything made in a factory, I suggest looking at a handmade broom from the Shaker community in KY, USA. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.

donksdonks42 t1_jaugage wrote

Pretty dank broom. Looks like it’d be on How it’s Made.

BongosTooLoud t1_jaundim wrote

Shaker Village is awesome. Just chiming in with a tiny correction that the crafts are not made by Shakers. The Shakers refused to have sex as part of their religious beliefs, and consequently died out in Kentucky. Their crafts are awesome though and people continue to craft in their style. :)

https://shakervillageky.org/history-and-restoration

earthgirl1983 t1_jau3o1g wrote

Happy cake day! Is this a joke?! I assumed those things couldn’t possibly do any good?? They really work well?

myredditaccount80 t1_jatroge wrote

Redecker

PsychologyNo972 OP t1_jaydq3e wrote

> Redecker

These look nice!

myredditaccount80 t1_jayez7m wrote

Shop around because randomly one store will charge 2x more than another, and it's not like one store is always the highest price. Usually but not always the amazon store mt mercantile is the cheapest

Muncie4 t1_jau3w6f wrote

You have been likely been given some Cadillac of house broom advice. Now when you grow up and want Rolls Royce of house broom advice, you can click this: https://www.rubbermaidcommercial.com/cleaning/brooms/

Easy_Independent_313 t1_jaun80y wrote

A push broom isn't the same as a house broom.

A push broom is used for large spaces with similar surfaces and straight edges. A house broom is designed for multiple surfaces with lots of corners.

Muncie4 t1_jawcsoh wrote

That link was not exclusive to push brooms, scroll a bit.

ladz t1_jati8r3 wrote

Brooms are not BIFL. Broom corn wears down unless you want a microplastics generator in your house.

scantee t1_jatxpmh wrote

Acknowledging this caveat, the brooms made by Berea College are beautiful, well made, sturdy and long lasting. I’ve had great experiences with several of their products and would highly recommend.

RemoWilliams615 t1_jau51g1 wrote

We've got one, in-laws go yearly. Beautiful piece, multi-colored, thought it was ornamental. Came home to the wife sweeping the garage...turns out they're incredibly strong & highly functional

RemoWilliams615 t1_jau5v1a wrote

I'll add Fuller Brush Co. They were a well-known quality supplier back in the day (my grandparents day, US 50s-60s) and still crank out a quality product today. Pricey, but what I've seen in person is good stuff. Still family-owned apparently

Fenestr t1_jau52ba wrote

Lions club brooms

ratbird9 t1_jauo5ur wrote

These are good too for the money. And some of the proceeds go to supporting deaf and hard of hearing, right?

Fenestr t1_javs9s6 wrote

Yeah, I guess it’s not really the cadillac of brooms, but they work well.

hoovcluck t1_jauuw17 wrote

He said Cadillac but he meant Lexus.

Yak54RC t1_jaszmlk wrote

Broom for what? I have a couple Roborocks that do most of the upkeep and then my wife just picks up wherever she wants.

finnegan922 t1_jatmcgu wrote

Stanley Home Products. I’ve had mine for 20 years, still the best. I got it from ,y mom, who got it as a wedding gift in the 1950’s.

BettietheBagel t1_javykd8 wrote

The quality of the broom won’t help if you’re storing it wrong. Brooms should be stored leaning the head up or hanging so the weight is not in the bristles.

angrymocha333 t1_jata1hf wrote

I have wondered this exact thing before. I hope you get an answer lol

lucyfell t1_jau03ht wrote

Shaker brooms unless your house is all carpet

notquitemary t1_jau7wi1 wrote

How in HELL are you killing a broom so quick? I abuse the hell out of mine and it’s still grooving along plural years later.

BriBegg t1_jaua9oy wrote

I was wondering this as well! I have a Vileda broom that’s been kicking for forever with no problem, & a hand broom & dust pan from Dollarama that’s in the same condition after many years.

Antique_Okra_8988 t1_jauny2u wrote

I buy Lions Club brooms at my son’s barber shop. They are solid and last forever at $10.

GoldenNerd1 t1_jauul83 wrote

Vancouver, Granville island brooms

vanrob t1_javyaqg wrote

Those are two different places divided by a body of water 🤔 (edited: a word)

GoldenNerd1 t1_javypnw wrote

Just google it, you’re welcome

vanrob t1_jaw3xyb wrote

That’s funny, you edited your original comment to correct it then made this snarky comment.

You can add “edited” after you do so to avoid this situation.

GoldenNerd1 t1_jawicmw wrote

I bet you want to be the type of person to encourage people to contribute to Reddit, because without people feeling encouraged to answer questions you would have no forum to be so discouraging

franksnotawomansname t1_jawywsk wrote

I have a horsehair broom and a corn broom from redecker. Both are amazing. I’ve had the horsehair broom for about 10 years and it still looks like new. I also love that it’s plastic free! I am really careful, though, to store it with its bristles up, which makes a huge difference.

[deleted] t1_jatbkur wrote

Look up warehouse brooms. Tractor Supply has them.

MichaelW24 t1_jau00fe wrote

For a standard broom, quickie. Buy the jobsite rated ones, fair warning they're heavy as hell, but durable.

I'm in construction, and they hold up to jobsite abuse, one of my quickie push brooms is over a decade old.

edcculus t1_jau4hys wrote

My mother in law had a broom made for us about the time we got married by a lady that live by her and makes brooms. I guess it’s a “tied” broom. Not sure what the bristles are made of. This thing is going 13 years strong and will last many many more years.

chastowo t1_jaubwyw wrote

I found a push broom with a broken handle at the dump. I Made that mine and switched the handle out for a fiberglass one and I'm still using it 7 years later

Yeuk_Ennui t1_jauhffk wrote

I have a handmade corn-broom with apple tree handle that's been in service for 18 years currently. Made by Sam Moyer in Southampton NJ. I also have two hearth brooms that are same age.

Cmr017 t1_jaujdgl wrote

Corn husk broom. Easily washable and durable.

FriendshipMaine t1_jaulfjg wrote

I bought an amazing canister vacuum, a SEBO E3, and now I never have to use a broom again, and that is the real Cadillac.

whatfuckingever69 t1_jaunujn wrote

I’ve had the same full circle broom for a few years now. You can buy replacement heads if needed, but I haven’t needed to. They are also environmentally conscious

Radiant-Climate-6865 t1_jawgeve wrote

Whatever broom you choose, never store it resting on the bristles. Hang it up, or rest it upside down. I think that’s what ends up ruining brooms the fastest.

FrankensteinBionicle t1_jawy2u0 wrote

I bought a tile-floor shark vacuum from Costco a few years ago for about $300. It's faster and picks up the dust/dirt/hair way better. I'm never sweeping ever again.

MlleSemicolon t1_jax0ftx wrote

My vote goes for Redecker, made in Germany. And their very many different types of brushes and dusting apparatus.

LeicaRedEye t1_jazlh68 wrote

Silicone rubber brooms hairdressers and pet groomers use 👌 affordable and last a lifetime. I have a wooden stick for mine.

BoltingBubby t1_jd49hqn wrote

Cadillac BIFL? I think you meant to say “What’s the Lexus of house brooms?”

johanvondoogiedorf t1_jausfjx wrote

My small business makes an all metal broom that costs $999. We hope one day to offer a guarantee for life but we have never sold one

FiddlingnRome t1_jat9rxs wrote

I scored a Samsung Stick Vacuum on Black Monday and I LOVE it. Now I just use a hand broom & dust pan if it's something small...

This is out of your range, but had to say... if you're going to spring for something worthwhile...

My husband loves it even more than me. He vacuums more, now, too.

https://www.samsung.com/us/home-appliances/vacuums/jet-stick/samsung-jet--60-pet-cordless-stick-vacuum-vs15a6032r7-aa/

−7

ProHopper t1_jatqvlx wrote

Samsung, for damn good reason, is hated on this sub.

FiddlingnRome t1_jatx2g9 wrote

Sorry, I'm new to the sub.... Sounds like there are Samsung products that are hated here? I'm not lobbying for Samsung, in particular, it's just that it was an amazing good deal and (for once) it actually turned out to be a worthwhile purchase. I'm sure there are other stick vacuums that work well, too.

gabe420guru t1_jathl0i wrote

Swiffers are pretty great

−7

Wizzerd348 t1_jats7kc wrote

don't they run through disposable pads frequently? They also look and feel cheap, although that's completely subjective

gabe420guru t1_jatt0ng wrote

Yes but the pads are cheap and come in big boxes

−6

Wizzerd348 t1_jattaj6 wrote

I don't really think that fits into the BIFL mindset for me. I want to reduce disposable things as much as possible.

Wizzerd348 t1_jayv4zy wrote

Cheap things coming in big boxes are kind of the opposite of BIFL