Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Lumpymaximus t1_jeas04e wrote

Why does it look disappointed in you?

lurkinislife t1_jecq1mj wrote

Do your kitchen appliances tend to usually look disappointed in you?

TheGreenShepherd t1_jeb9irm wrote

Just about anything Zojirushi, really. They have an outstanding coffee maker as well.

sidroqq t1_jebfwqc wrote

Their water boiler has changed my life. No more forgetting the kettle or microwave, just tea whenever I want, right next to where I'm working.

It's up there with bidet (seat type, not separate fixture) on best "extra" home appliance purchases, for me.

TheGreenShepherd t1_jebn8xw wrote

What sort of electricity usage does that have?

sidroqq t1_jebozq3 wrote

Nothing too significant, no noticeable change in utilities. I was skeptical at first too but I think it's just so well insulated that the initial boiling takes a lot of energy, then maintaining just below boiling is low-energy.

IsPhil t1_jeciw31 wrote

Except maybe their water bottles. I've had a zojirushi bottle for 3 years, and ever since the second year it'll leak sometimes when I tilt it. Apparently you can put the cap on wrong between refills. I've never had that issue with other brands before.

Blue-Bird780 t1_jeeppzs wrote

It’s possible to misalign any thread, the secret is to turn it left until it clicks into place and then turn it right to tighten it down. Works with every type of material and every thread spacing/size, I learned this from an old auto mechanic years ago and it hasn’t let me down.

Giozos1100 t1_jeejf6h wrote

I bought an electric griddle of theirs a few years back and my wife and I have used it almost daily since. Awesome product.

afsocgoddess t1_jeaincn wrote

Ours, too. weekly use too. I love that thing.

Hoover29 t1_jebaahn wrote

Same here. Bought mine from the Goodwill seven years ago for $0.25, been working perfect since.

goldman459 t1_jecv61o wrote

Treat it to a good clean then 🤮

t_25_t t1_jeevr9p wrote

> Treat it to a good clean then 🤮

I bought a preowned Zojirushi rice cooker, that the previous lady had neglected. I took it home, cleaned it up, and even took it apart to clean it from top to bottom.

Went from a tired looking rice cooker, to one that is almost brand new. It was oddly satisfying too seeing it from something that was neglected to something worthy of a spot on the kitchen counter.

ATS606 t1_jeajcfk wrote

Yup we had one when I was a kid, it never broke or quit, I think we just gave it away when moving. After going through 2 cheaper rice cookers as an adult, we finally bought a Zojirushi about 3 years ago and I love it.

Radiant_Platypus6862 t1_jebaz69 wrote

I have the exact same tulip design on mine. Even the cord-reel still works flawlessly. It’s quite a wonderful little device.

Protheu5 t1_jeaj3mj wrote

Looks like Homer Simpson's face. I've heard he is popular in Japan.

Swing_Top t1_jealrq5 wrote

if you squint hard enough, you can see this is clearly not a pen / pencil.

fried_terrence t1_jeanp2s wrote

Is this one made in Japan? The newer ones I’ve seen in store aren’t made in Japan.

CrimeBot3000 t1_jedgj6f wrote

I have a Chinese one and love it. Had the Japanese version briefly and returned it.

c9belayer t1_jebprp5 wrote

Got one going on 25+ year and it’s still chooching away. I use it about twice a month or so.

timber321 t1_jealhsl wrote

My college roommate had the same one like 20 years ago. It was a hand-me-down then. I overfilled it and flooded our kitchen with startcy water and it was unfazed.

sandigity t1_jeavoep wrote

How's this do with boil over? I have a cheap Black and Decker one that can't seem to cook small quantities without a bubbly mess.

Killerbeetle846 t1_jeawu4r wrote

I have a newish Zojirushi (5 years old). It makes perfect rice every time. I've owned cheaper rice cookers and they're fine, but this is noticeably better. It has never boiled over with rice. I did boil it over once when I made oatmeal and forgot to select the porridge option. No issues making oats when I do remember to select the porridge option.

77907X t1_jebb1tx wrote

Agreed I bought a Zojirushi rice cooker back in 2020. I now refuse to ever go back to cheaper models. Plan to use the current one until at least 2045 if not longer hopefully.

Now the lions share of my small kitchen appliances are Zojirushi. They all work great and seem built to last. Even if they aren't made in Japan anymore as unfortunate as such is.

Strikew3st t1_jeax5h6 wrote

Have you tried rinsing your rice first to get some starch out?

sandigity t1_jeb3gki wrote

Yes, and it hasn't helped unfortunately. I haven't had an issue when cooking larger quantities, but rarely cook over 2 cups with it being only my wife and me.

sidroqq t1_jebgl5s wrote

I have a newer one, it has never boiled over or had any other issue, is easier to clean than previous rice cookers I've had, and automatically senses pretty much everything so it's difficult to make mistakes. Honestly a world of difference between the ~$180 Zojirushi and my old ~$50 Aroma, I wish I'd known sooner.

crazysquirrelette t1_jeazn2n wrote

I love mine too. Although it doesn’t have the street cred yours has, but its still great.

Lamentrope t1_jeb5ie1 wrote

Mine is about 12 years old, still cooks but rice goes bad in about 12 hours, before used to be good for almost 3 days. Either there's some bacteria/fungi hidden in some unknown crevice I can't clean, or the temperature/humidity sensor has gone bad and it doesn't maintain it in the safe zone.

rocksinthepond t1_jeba3ol wrote

I picked up a really nice one at a garage sale for $5. It's probably going to outlast me.

sidroqq t1_jebfm9r wrote

I have a newer one, so no proof yet--but got a strong feeling it's BIFL on the first use. It has the feel of a masterfully engineered product. I have their boiler too. Worth the expense!

jankyj t1_jecdfvt wrote

👁️👁️ 👄

Phronima-Fothergill t1_jedqer7 wrote

I have the Neuro-Fuzzy one and I can't remember when I bought it--seems like forever ago. Expensive, but SO worth it!

mazobob66 t1_jefupi9 wrote

I have a Zojirushi also! I bought it when I was called up for Desert Storm in 1991, and spent some time in Camp Pendleton, CA.

32 years and it is still going strong! I only wish I could find a replacement bowl for it, since it is teflon coated and flaking off.

BitCrack t1_jebrimr wrote

Uncle Rodger would be proud fuu yaaa

−1