Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

sindark t1_je8a4no wrote

You may want to read up on how gas stoves impact indoor air quality. Those pretty visible flames are by definition incomplete combustion, meaning volatile chemicals are being emitted from incompletely burned fossil methane. If you are worried about toxins in your environment, fossil fuels are a questionable choice.

jamesphw t1_je8mwwr wrote

Gas really makes no sense for a stove, though op may have no choice. I think the air quality thing is overblown, but gas stoves are also:

• Slower to heat than induction
  • Bad at low simmers compared to induction
  • A pain in the ass to clean (this should be the biggest factor for most people, I think)

The only legitimate reasons to have gas are slightly valid, but also stupid if you think about them for 5 seconds:

1. Wok cooking. But you can still get 95% of the way there with cast iron on most dishes....
  2. Gas works during a power outage (but not natural disasters). But in the Northeast I haven't had an extended power outage since 2003...
  3. Flame roasting. Yeah, you can do that with peppers on a gas stove. Oven and blow torch work too though.
  4. Visual feedback. Probably the only thing I like better about gas, but I really don't find this hard even on crappy electric stoves.
  5. Specialty cookware, like for candymaking (copper pots). Really, this does not apply to more than like 0.0001% of people.

Foreign-Cookie-2871 t1_je8vict wrote

The air quality thingie also depends on how often you fully ventilate the house and how good are your burners. Even with good burners though, you get toxic molecules as a combustion byproduct. The quantity of those is higher if the burner is dirty, if food gets on the burner, or if you smother the flame in any way (like with flame roasting). Keeping the flame low can also cause more combustion buildups

glitteringgin t1_jecj1oc wrote

Reply about your bullet points ^ Caveat: I have zero experience with induction.

Depends on your fuel. Propane produces a hotter flame than natural gas. I have used both.

Simmers, eh, I have a very old (32 years) Hardwick, and I use a heat diffuser when I need a low heat for simmering, depending on the cookware I'm using.

I agree with pita to clean, because my range does not have sealed burners! That option was available, but was above my budget when I bought it. I think they are pretty much standard nowadays, though. :)

I guess a comparison of costs of electricity vs natural gas/propane could be a factor in OP's decision. It was in mine.

Foreign-Cookie-2871 t1_je8v72n wrote

I wpuld go for induction instead. Gas ranges are inefficient and lower the indoor air quality by a lot. If I wasn't renting I would change the gas range I have with induction immediately.

Having said that, almost all gas ranges are BIFL. If you are still convinced for a gas stove, look for one with a very sturdy inox plane and normal, standard and replaceable, parts. You want one with the security check (checks if the flame is active, if it's not it turns off the gas supply) as those are considerably safer.

rfmodeler t1_je7viby wrote

I had an LG with a dual oven and "true convection". The burner flames were too wide for many of my smaller pots and pans. The broiler took forever to kick on and the mini ovens were too small for most tasks.

Isitharry t1_je81sz5 wrote

There’s a lot of factors into this. Are looking at free standing/slide in? How large of an oven capacity do you want/need? Do you prefer a double oven? Is a convection oven a requirement? How about controls: front facing or faces down? How many burners do you need? Is color/finish a factor? Whatever the case, LP/natural gas ranges don’t have much complexity, compared to electric or induction. I personally would look at Bosch or Miele. For something cheaper, I’ve had luck with Frigidaire. Consider looking at your range hood as well - most over the range hoods don’t have the proper coverage area, especially over the range microwave hoods. Good luck.

Fair-Store-1580 t1_je9emz8 wrote

I’d reconsider gas appliances these days. I believe some states are even banning them in new homes, they’re on their way out for health and safety reasons.

I’d recommend induction which is better IMO anyway.

HalfPint1885 t1_je89j61 wrote

I have a Whirlpool gas stove and I like it. One of the main things I like is that there are five burners, and only one big grate across all of them. It means I can move pots and pans around without worrying about tipping them or finding a space for them.

The main downfall is that cleaning it is a bitch. No matter how often I wipe it down, it always seems to have a layer of grease on some part or another, because there is so much to clean, between the grate and the surface underneath, and even on the little burners themselves. I used to have a glass surface electric stove, and it was a breeze to clean up, I just didn't care for it with all my cast iron.

j-random t1_jec25xn wrote

I bought a GE Café range late last year. The oven controller was faulty, and it took them three tries before I raised hell and they replaced it (no Christmas cookies, and we had to have our traditional holiday dinner catered). Then the new one had some packaging tape on the oven blower that flapped and made noise, so I had to pull the oven half apart to fix it. Not recommended.

psimian t1_jec4xd9 wrote

Just gonna weigh on the "buy induction because it is better" argument. Yes, it's true, it's also not an option in a lot of US homes built in the mid 20th century with gas appliances unless you can afford to have an electrician run a 220v circuit to the kitchen, and possibly upgrade your electrical service too.

If you're remodeling your kitchen you should 100% go induction (or mixed fuel if you really need gas for certain things). If you have to stick with gas, any modern range/oven with electronic ignition is probably fine. If you go with a less expensive model you can put the money you save towards an Alen 75i air filter to take care of the particulates created by burning gas.

Or you can just put a box fan in the window blowing out, which is what I will continue to do until I get around to remodeling the kitchen. (On days when the Clairton Coke Works is trying to suffocate the city it's better to keep the windows closed and enjoy those sweet, sweet natural gas fumes.)

NoMastersxNoKings t1_jecsfzg wrote

Induction is tremendously expensive to repair, it is a trending concept but absolutely not a BIFL appliance type.

Muncie4 t1_je9efyp wrote

Your question lacks depth and you need to research this topic much more.

You don't buy on brand per se. The term gas range means many things to many people. There are gas cooktops. There are gas stoves. There are gas double oven stoves. There are gas double convection ovens. There are La Cornue Château Series gas stoves which cost more than $100,000.

As a form factor, a gas cooktop and oven are kid simple BIFL items intrinsically. A $50 yard sale item will function just as long as a $13,000 Wolf stove, the kicker is we don't know any of your use case items which are many: budget, oven amount/size/form factor, size, griddle need, grill need, downdraft vent need, color, and many other things.

So for anyone to give you a brand name will be a disservice without you asking a more specific question.