Submitted by rado_sphere t3_y5nxag in BuyItForLife

was travelling today from a european country to an asian country, long distance flight, and one of the plasticwheels was falling off... when I was looking for the reason for that, I saw that the metal axle was held in a plastic part, and by pushing the case for a long time, the plastic part became so hot that it melted.

Once again, a great example of planned obsolescence and cheap production. Now I've decided that this was my last travel case to break beyond repair.

When it comes to bicycle gears, there is the Rohloff hub gear (Speedhub), which is indestructible and which you usually buy for life.

For pans in the kitchen, it's my uncoated iron pan, which I'm sure to take to the grave or bequeath ;) For watches, it's a Rolex that has a clockwork that will survive many generations.

But what about travel suitcases? Isn't there something that is maybe even completely made of a metal alloy or something, and made for extreme loads? A suitcase that completely exhausts the maximum dimensions of the usual airlines for checked baggage, and at the same time is made as much as possible from a single cast of durable components?

Where the rollers have proper ball bearings that run on a solid steel axle in a steel guide, and where you can buy spare parts even after years, can make or tinker, or just no spare parts needed because so solidly constructed?

Mankind has existed for quite a while now and has been traveling for quite a few years, so you would think that something as common as a travel case should also be available in a mature version, without built-in weak points, right?

I look forward to any tip, recommendation, experience, etc., gladly also older models that you might find from time to time on the second-hand market :-)

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

facebook57 t1_iskoz5c wrote

What you’re describing sounds very heavy. Get a Briggs & Riley bag instead.

lordntelek t1_isnvf0p wrote

I mention Briggs & Riley every time luggage comes up. Their warranty is fantastic and after too many failed luggage incidents with other brands I sucked it up and bought all Briggs & Riley. They aren’t necessarily the most flashy but damn they’re built to last.

I have 11 various bits of luggage and bags by them now and the only issue I’ve ever had was a cover pop off a wheel (still functioned fine and they replaced the cover no questions asked). I fly all the time for work and the family loves to vacation so we get heavy use of our luggage.

[deleted] t1_isocslf wrote

[deleted]

lordntelek t1_isr1nia wrote

I went with their soft shell lines. I think Baseline (doesn’t look fancy) or the ZDX line (looks nicer but I think more costly). I don’t care about looks of it works!!

SweetAlyssumm t1_ismslbc wrote

This is what I was going to suggest. I have one that has been literally all over the world (soft-sided) and I still use it, absolutely no problems after 20+ years. I bought a new, slightly smaller one recently and it appears to also be very well made.

PeterC18st t1_isohsn9 wrote

Briggs & Riley. Enough said. Lifetime warranty. Built for the traveler and easy repairs.

-HotterThanSauce- t1_iskom95 wrote

I’m not sure of any luggage that’s built as well as you’re asking for.

You might enjoy a rolling pelican case if you’re ok with a hard shell. They aren’t exactly clothes luggage, but they’re quite durable.

triumphrid3rone t1_isln4im wrote

The pelican TRVL series has TSA approved locks and are made to fit carry on and checked baggage standards they are absolutely worth every penny and will last a lifetime. Casters hinges latches and handles are all replaceable and available.

Itchy-Fennel2392 t1_isljaop wrote

Pilot here. Try a Luggageworks Stealth. They are lined with steel, have great wheels and a good warranty to boot. Had mine 12+ years no issues and have never had to replace anything.

Only problem is they are HEAVY. 15lbs unloaded so may not be worth it if you carry a lot in your bag.

bigwebs t1_ismd8dh wrote

I think you’ll actually have better luck with an aurora series bag (I personally think the stealths are just overkill when factoring in their weight). Similar construction to the stealth but ABS plastic instead of the steel cage structure. Bearings are same used in skateboard/roller blade wheels, so you can drop in which ever ABEC spec bearing you prefer. Steel axels. Heavy duty riveting. The bag can be completely dissembled with common tools. The bag structure is sturdy enough to modify for attachment points.

Source - am pilot. Had this bag for 10 years so far.

goldenrosebloom t1_isnce96 wrote

I second this! I'm a flight attendant and I switched from TravelPro to the Luggage Works Aurora. It's sleek, the pockets are super useful, and the construction is great. The best part is that some of the sizes have cup/bottle holders and that was a game changer for me as someone who always has a water bottle on hand. The steel frame Luggage Works is going to be way too heavy for everyday passengers to pack. Plus if you want to check it, you may have to pay extra if your bag is too heavy, and if you're starting out with a 15lb bag, you won't have much room to play with. TravelPro is good too but they tend to be bulky and I've seen many of them break. I hear Briggs & Riley are great, but they are much more expensive than the Luggage Works.

rado_sphere OP t1_islm9qx wrote

Thanks a lot for that tip! Will check it out 🥰🥰

2buggers t1_iskztrv wrote

I am not a heavy traveler, but I have had good luck with the travelpro brand

eighthphase t1_iskv409 wrote

I’ve gotten a Thule 110L chasm this is half hard shell half soft and have +50 days of travelling on it this year alone. Wheels are solid with good bearings, and have an outstanding warranty.

CatDadMilhouse t1_iswpm1w wrote

I wouldn't recommend Thule. I recently lost a Subterra that was less than five years old and the interior frame snapped in half, leaving two very sharp pieces of plastic that could have cut me and/or shredded my clothes if I hadn't caught it quickly enough. Not covered by any warranty either. The exterior is also shredding at the corners and has been since about a year in. And that's from a > $400 bag.

But yeah, the wheels held up well. Just not the rest of the bag, sadly.

LiveLearnCoach t1_isp21kk wrote

So, no love for the Tumi? I always salivated over the design of those bags, but have no idea what their durability is like.

86tuning t1_isl0nda wrote

flight case with heavy duty casters perhaps. or a samsonite lol.

​

but honestly, r/onebag is the way I'd go. no chance of lost luggage.

Hendersonhero t1_isl61kb wrote

I’ve got a Ortlieb, RG85, it’s very well made and I I understand you can get new parts such as wheels. I’ve used it quite a lot in difficult conditions, Malaysian downpours, Scottish sand, and mud. Also in snow and cold weather. It can fall over if you don’t pack it carefully

waorak t1_isppay6 wrote

Probably the wrong sub for this, but buying IT lightweight luggage is really the only way to travel on an airplane. The maximum weight limits for check in and carry on luggage are shrinking and having the lightest possible luggage is pretty much a necessity. Our large check in bags weigh 4.5 pounds. And carry on bags are about 3.75 pounds, depending on two or four wheels.

The luggage feels like it will fall apart but it has lasted with one well traveled check in bag having survived many years of travel to Honk Kong, Italy, and to Mexico. Almost yearly trips.

rado_sphere OP t1_isppyx5 wrote

I appreciate that tip, but in my case we have to transport lots of presents from my wives family to other family members etc since the family is split all over the world and when ee meet again we have lots of presents to bring, also for friends, thats why im searching for a carry horse 😇😇 i think I will keep an eye on briggs and riley and luggageworks, lets see what ebay is offering from time to time 🫣✈️