Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

cheaganvegan t1_iti670s wrote

My apartment in college was a throwback relic from this time period. Had this stove and the matching refrigerator. The owner worked for Frigidaire. Good stuff.

snicky29 t1_itkyyyi wrote

im going to college next year, where can i get the same for my room?

Greymatter28 t1_itlr7xf wrote

Lmao people are downvoting you like that specific question isn’t what this entire fucking subreddit is for, instead of parading around rare relics that cannot be easily acquired, in search of fucking internet points. This post is a phenomenal example of subreddit bloat.

ConchitOh t1_itmirb8 wrote

I mean the rarity of the items posted here directly relates to the core problem with BIFL: that most things built and sold in the past 30-40 years are not BIFL, and that BIFL is hard to come by for any item nowadays.

Assholesfullofelbows t1_ithv7u9 wrote

DANG! That's sexy as F

dezualy OP t1_ithw332 wrote

There are a few cast irons from around that time that I use with it too :)

ssl-3 t1_itixd7x wrote

Do you listen to your vinyls when you cook with them?

Or did you mean "cast iron pans"?

−78

EsCaRg0t t1_itj6twk wrote

The plural of vinyl is vinyl.

ssl-3 t1_itj7jfs wrote

It is.

That's [part of] the reason why it's wrong to listen to vinyls.

−53

ActingGrandNagus t1_itkej1a wrote

Is this is the way you talk to people I can't imagine you have many friends lmao

ssl-3 t1_itlmxbi wrote

Let me guess: You're the one who thinks they're fun at parties.

−1

[deleted] t1_ithx38y wrote

[removed]

−85

sfhomes t1_ithxtfs wrote

This looks timelessly cool.

flubba86 t1_itj8y4q wrote

It's not timeless, there is a clock right there at the top in the middle.

admin_detected t1_ithylyq wrote

Those are so thicc burners

mackiea t1_itlmzrk wrote

Chonky AF

gonna turn gramma's stew into magma right fn now

DatDan513 t1_ithve48 wrote

With speed heat burners. I love those… too bad they cracked easily due to the fluctuation In voltage but Jesus jumping Christ they worked great.

dezualy OP t1_ithvwft wrote

Haven’t had any problems with cracking, those are the original burners. But damn do they ever work well. Almost too well as I’ve scorched the bottoms of some cheaper pots and pans by accidentally overheating or forgetting about boiling water. More user error than anything though :)

deadleg22 t1_iti3hx1 wrote

How efficient are these in comparison to modern range ovens?

garugaga t1_iti3w1j wrote

It's electric resistive heat, they're both 100% efficient.

The oven will be less efficient as I'm sure it will have worse insulation than a modern oven.

Oldtvstillidie t1_itikrob wrote

I have a 56 Frigidaire imperial, this ones big brother. The oven is built and insulated just like a modern electric stove. It seems to cycle less and cook more evenly than the newer POS it replaced.

ProjectSnowman t1_itm1tml wrote

It’s probably insulated with asbestos. Too bad about the cancer, because that stuff is amazing.

Oldtvstillidie t1_itm28o3 wrote

Frigidaire used fiberglass/mineral wool. They didn’t skimp on it either. The wiring is all asbestos though. Great stuff. Doesn’t burn and short out. I don’t worry about the wiring it’s encased in a sealer.

[deleted] t1_itinsqq wrote

[deleted]

−33

RespectableLurker555 t1_itiqmyg wrote

Someone needs to go back to thermodynamics class.

Electric resistive heat is 100% efficient at turning electrical energy into heat energy.

TristanTheViking t1_itipu42 wrote

If you mean like the amount of heat that gets from the burner to the pan, sure. But that's more of a comparison you'd use between different types of burners like gas or induction, not two resistive heating elements. Heat transfer is never perfect.

If you're considering how well it converts electricity into heat, 100% is pretty accurate.

tx001 t1_itk42cg wrote

The entire point of it is to heat a pan. That is what is generally meant by efficiency from a practical perspective. How efficient is it at getting heat into the pan?

MSgtGunny t1_itipn9i wrote

Heat pumps have an efficiency higher than 100%.

limpymcforskin t1_itjyczh wrote

They do because they don't generate heat. They transfer heat from one place to another. There is no possible way to generate heat at a greater efficiency than 100%

MeshColour t1_itj9fhf wrote

I don't know of any heat pumps being used for burners, it would work but expensive initial cost for that application. Especially compared to how well induction works, and insulation on the oven increases that efficiency. Maybe for commercial kitchens, I imagine heat pump deep fryers exist?

Or someone should invent all those (and give me a small percentage of the total income from the idea)

MSgtGunny t1_itj9z9l wrote

Oh you wouldn’t for a stove, it was just the shortest answer I could give that proves his statement as incorrect. The more complicated answer, but more relevant to his incorrect statement is that resistive heating is 100% efficient if you include electromagnetic outputs (such as infrared and visible light) as “heat”.

limpymcforskin t1_itjyf7f wrote

There aren't any. It would take way too long. There are heat pump dryers though. Those are cool.

DatDan513 t1_itif56s wrote

The speed heat burners are unique and amazing. They worked by using an exceptionally high voltage (220v) at first to get them red hot FAST.. like amazingly fast and then a thermostat would reduce the voltage to 120v. They work so much better than modern burners.

Hornswallower t1_itj7uvk wrote

Reading "an exceptionally high voltage (220v)" from a 240v country where the actual voltage is usually hovering around 255v at the outlet...

Dafuq are you low voltage lot on about?

jared555 t1_itjupjq wrote

Our electric stoves and ovens tend to be 240v too once you get into multiple burners.

F-21 t1_itkz2ks wrote

well, if we're measuring dicks... :)

Ours are often even three phase since three phases are quite common in some parts of Europe. I doubt they're using 380/400V (between phases), cause they also work on 240V, so I assume they route the separate panels to separate phases so they can all draw more current at the same time.

jared555 t1_itl9vyq wrote

Our three phase tends to be 120V/208V when talking about residential and small business which results in things like stoves running slightly cooler due to the lower voltage.

I think for residential they just run two phases to each apartment though.

F-21 t1_itlowv4 wrote

I'm so glad to have industrial three phase power, I have a a bunch of old 'bench' (pedestal) grinders with ~1.5kw motors (2hp), all brushless on three phase power... A big old lathe, three phase drill press, a mill. If I only had a single phase I don't think I could run any of it (maybe with VFD).

Iredditfromwork t1_itjrd38 wrote

Hornswallower t1_itjrx76 wrote

Is this long video trying to explain the concept of 3 phase?

Because we have that too at 415v

TheDisapprovingBrit t1_itkbdqw wrote

What I'm getting us that they can jury rig a 240v connection if they need to, but it doesn't have an earth.

CannadaFarmGuy t1_itkj5j5 wrote

Less than 1000 volts is considered low volts in electrical terms

Hornswallower t1_itkkvof wrote

Depends on application.

500vdc is getting up where it's looking to bite. It'll arc if you're not careful and get too close and grab your hand then bad things are happening.

400vdc is still going to kill you if you touch it, but it isn't trying to jump off the rails and grab you.

Valve amplifiers are fantastic fun but holy shit if some of them aren't scary as shit on the inside.

dezualy OP t1_ithv8hj wrote

Still works great (except for the clock, which I unplugged after the timer ticking sound wouldn’t stop). We use it every day and still bake bread at 500F. The chip on the front it from my stand mixer taking a dive off the counter. Any tips for repairing the missing enamel?

DatDan513 t1_ithvpya wrote

There are kits to repair enamel.. I wouldn’t even attempt it with this fine appliance.

However, there are companies that specialize in such work. Usually they will repair vintage enamel bathtubs but I’m sure they repair appliances as well. Best of luck!

25_Watt_Bulb t1_itiz8ks wrote

The "in place" bathtub repair "enamel" isn't actually enamel but is just a chemical coating, I doubt it's heat safe. Real enamel is glass powder melted onto the metal at 1,500 ºF, similar to ceramic glaze.

However, there are places that -actually- restore enamel items by removing all of the old enamel and firing new enamel on in an industrial kiln.

There isn't any way to repair an existing enamel finish though.

dezualy OP t1_ithwtm0 wrote

Y’a i wouldn’t do it myself. It’s really just aesthetic at this point since it hasn’t rusted or anything. Thanks for the tip!

Killer-Barbie t1_ithzimf wrote

You can always just care for the patch of iron so it doesn't rust.

Hornswallower t1_itj89y6 wrote

Just get some white flow coat and hardener.

Clean out the chip so there's something for the flowcoat to adhere to, bunge it in, let it dry, sand it with 180, 240, 400, 800 grit then buff and polish.

Steeve_Perry t1_itjc8st wrote

Yeah call the guys that do enamel bathtub repairs, they’ll have this thing looking good as new.

melancholypowerhour t1_iticifn wrote

This is my DREAM, so wonderful to see it well cared for and in incredible shape! I have a similar one by Frigidaire from the 90’s that looks to be about the same in terms of shape/size and I love it, but THIS is the dream

spinda69 t1_itinexd wrote

The metal on those burners is so much thicker than a modern coil top!

llankie t1_itj1gkb wrote

I like everything except the fact that you have to reach over the range to adjust the burners

cmVkZGl0 t1_itigqsx wrote

😵‍💫 face

inspire-change t1_itiener wrote

new ones lucky to last 10 years

NWO_Eliminator t1_itjsa0b wrote

Had a new GE range fail within seconds of the first use. It beeped a code persistently and I had to turn the breaker off after using it. Replaced it with a high end induction range. The display wen goofy a couple of months later, and it was replaced. That display went crazy 7 months later and the entire range was replaced. This new one works a bit better but occasionally acts up like the previous one. Meanwhile, at the previous house, the original 1970 Whirlpool stove top worked flawlessly for the 35 years it was used. The 1970 oven worked flawlessly short of an element replacement. Gotta love progress.

Converseinverse t1_itim2rr wrote

What do you use to keep it so shiny & clean?

dezualy OP t1_itimlew wrote

Just dawn dishsoap and a rag or scrub daddy. Spray on, wait a few minutes and scrub off. All the elements lift up and you can remove the trays under them to scrub the metal with Vim, baking soda or worst case BKF.

Converseinverse t1_itjj49l wrote

Are those disposable pie tins? If so, that's a great idea.

dezualy OP t1_itjjilp wrote

Sort of, they sell drip tray liners in small and large sizes. Basically a pie tin with a cutout in the middle and a notch in the side where the element plugs in

jquest23 t1_itjnprn wrote

You can find ceramic coated drip pans for the burners. Really completes the look and makes it easier to clean.

dezualy OP t1_itjopq5 wrote

It does have these! I find them harder to clean though and there is some caked on dirt on them currently that would require some over cleaner to get off. Currently those aluminum trays sit above the stock black ones. I agree they give a cleaner look though!

rhodatoyota t1_itjanqm wrote

Mine is a 1940’s magic chef and I LOVE IT!!!!! This one is gorgeous too!!

dezualy OP t1_itjfnyz wrote

Amazing! Hard to imagine making something that gets used everyday at high heats, that lasts this long.

SaintBiggusDickus t1_itjapdt wrote

How do you keep it so clean? What do you use?

dezualy OP t1_itjg89x wrote

Dawn power wash or any other dish soap. Let it work for a few minutes and wipe off. Easy to clean the enamel as it’s so slippery. For the stainless and under the burners everything comes out and I’ll scrub them with some Vim or dish soap maybe a few times a year. Also I use tin trays under the burners that catch the oils and spills. I wash them off after spills and change them if they get too dirty. Baking soda and water paste for really tough stuff. Let sit for 20 minutes then scrub off!

99available t1_itjo324 wrote

In the 1950s almost the only things BIFL were American. 🙂

Faptasmic t1_itjbfq1 wrote

I bet yours doesn't thermal throttle right when your pot of water is about to boil like my brand new GE one does.

dezualy OP t1_itjgdxu wrote

The burners do cycle even on high but they get so damn hot so quickly that i never notice it

Faptasmic t1_itk055t wrote

Mine is infuriating, you can see the water just barely starting to boil then click, no boiling for you. I end up just using my induction hotplate anytime I'm cooking with high heat.

tossaroo t1_iti8f7v wrote

That's a real beauty!

Puzzled_Sky9875 t1_iti8joh wrote

So cool, in fantastic condition, too! Love it!

lalaci t1_itjchju wrote

so cute

Mhdnhp t1_itjkouo wrote

I had a frigidaire washing machine imported from Dubai. Worked like a charm for a week. Rest is history.

NWO_Eliminator t1_ito252h wrote

Frigidaire was originally owned by General Motors until they sold their appliance division in 1979. It's nothing but a name for over 40 years that has been bought and traded a few times.

chanvreindien t1_itjre0t wrote

In french speaking countries, the "Frigidaire" or the "frigo" are both names for a fridge. Never crossed my mind that it could be a vintage brand nor that they had other products than fridges. Your stove looks gorgeous tho !

popepaulpops t1_ithyrcy wrote

A work of art. Its obviously very well taken care of too.

I don't think I could handle all the knobs in the back, not very practical.

dezualy OP t1_iti6ofh wrote

I like it better than a touch arrow for heat levels for sure, but they do get greasy pretty quickly.

MuteSecurityO t1_itjtmf2 wrote

why are there seven knobs for 4 stovetop and presumably 2 for oven (top and bottom burners)?

dezualy OP t1_itkqsmi wrote

Only 6 knobs. 4 burners, 1 oven, 1 timer and the center is a clock!

Canada_Haunts_Me t1_itivebp wrote

Knobs on the back are standard in the US; where are you from?

popepaulpops t1_itizqsm wrote

Im European. Before all this touchscreen nonsens the knobs were placed on the front at the top. There is no need to stretch your armes over hot pots or pans.

gap97216 t1_itj4i7l wrote

What a beauty!

cutofmyjib t1_itjk0b7 wrote

Those heating elements are thicc

Kdilla77 t1_itjo4ri wrote

If hipsters were fully committed to the aesthetic.

marty_76 t1_itjt8g7 wrote

I was just gushing about the knobs, the chrome, the rounded corners etc.... then realised there's no glass, to check if your stuff's rising/cooking?! 🥺😔

dezualy OP t1_itkrvt8 wrote

I’ve gotten used to it by now, makes cleaning easier and I just crack the door open to check after the rising period (to not let steam out)

marty_76 t1_itlwo7x wrote

That's a good point- the glass is always hard to keep clean.

gunny16 t1_itjw5t3 wrote

How is it so clean...

dezualy OP t1_itkqvc1 wrote

Just wipe it down after using. See some other comments for bigger messes.

NWO_Eliminator t1_ito2jx3 wrote

Quality thick coated porcelain enamel from back in the day. It stays cleaner, longer.

_picture_me_rollin_ t1_itjwe0a wrote

That Le Creuset kettle isn’t going anywhere either that’ll be around for 100 years as well.

lecoeurvivant t1_itk5c8c wrote

You've kept it in great condition!

Hollow_Effects t1_itkng8n wrote

My first Apartment range was the same time period but gas, fridge was from the 60s. Both were only still there because the land lord had no idea how the original owner got them into the place, couldn’t get them out without cutting them up. Still the best fridge and oven I’ve ever had.

Couldn’t figure out how they got them in because it was a crappy little basement apartment with a VERY narrow door.

Havingfun921 t1_iud1ymy wrote

It doesn’t even look like it has been used much in all that time

HeinousMoisture t1_itirs8p wrote

Nowadays most electric stoves are the induction type, right? Are they better than these traditional heating elements for any reason?

dezualy OP t1_itison5 wrote

You can still get both induction, electric and gas stoves. I imagine induction would be more energy efficient since it heats the cookware, not the stovetop so you don’t lose as much heat to surrounding air. Glass tops are probably easier to clean too. I might not be the most qualified to ask since I haven’t ever had to buy a modern stove!

Mule2go t1_itiyqa4 wrote

Gas stoves are the only ones that work when the power goes out

alt_acc436 t1_itj99in wrote

Not if you have solar panels! I rather not rely on resources out of my controll

MagicalWhisk t1_itj9ujj wrote

Dang that looks nice. What's the efficiency of these vs. a modern electric range?

dezualy OP t1_itjfh5f wrote

Exactly the same for the coils! See some comments above

Iredditfromwork t1_itjrhec wrote

How well does it handle those middle temps? Like if you need a med/low simmer?

dezualy OP t1_itkr5of wrote

I don’t really have much to compare it to, but no complaints here. The dials read high, med-high, med-low, low, and simmer. Sometimes I end up alternating a bit between the two medium settings since one feels too hot and one feels a bit too low.

Jmmcyclones t1_itjubs6 wrote

Really neat. Too bad Frigidaire products today last about 2 years.

hotpants69 t1_itjvbf9 wrote

My grandma got my dad to replace the stove in his investment property. I still don't know why because the old one was still working just fine... So anyway, neat. Reminds me of the old stove

northman017 t1_itjyes3 wrote

I wish my designed and built 30 years later range looked that good!

thatcluckingdinosaur t1_itka74c wrote

I'm curious what a kill-a-watt meter readout would be for this gem.

_R3N3G4D3 t1_itkdkti wrote

70 years of electric ranges but we use gas that lowers IQ in poorly ventilated properties.

JoeyJoeJoeJrShab t1_itkvbwd wrote

Saw "Frigidair", and came to say that modern refrigerators are way more efficient than old ones... then I realized it's a stove. I can't imagine a modern stove would be any more efficient at turning electricity into heat.

Also, I find it funny that a brand with the word "Frigid" is selling a product whose sole purpose is to produce heat.

dezualy OP t1_itkw0s4 wrote

Apparently resistive heating elements are just as efficient today as they were back then!

JoeyJoeJoeJrShab t1_itkz74a wrote

A light bulb can be considered inefficient because of how much of the electricity is lost as heat rather than light. So measuring the waste heat from an element whose purpose is to produce heat might be difficult.

allisonmaybe t1_itkwlcl wrote

Your stove looks dazed and bewildered.

azaku29 t1_itlvmm8 wrote

Had a 1960 GE oven and matching range in my house until 2018

azaku29 t1_itlvz7d wrote

Also if you touched the handle for the oven and the stove top at the right time you got electrocuted, definitely a bad ground

Plangro t1_itm6ec9 wrote

It looks confused

mt379 t1_itir2lj wrote

Where's your vent?

dezualy OP t1_itirmom wrote

My vent is my front door unfortunately. I haven’t been able to find one that fits the extremely narrow size

knuF t1_itj808v wrote

Those elements are thicc

hereforthekix t1_itku9q1 wrote

That thing would hemorrhage electricity.

Definitely a cool old range though!

−2

dezualy OP t1_itkvwcv wrote

How so? Electric ranges today use the same heating elements

AtlUtdGold t1_itjetx2 wrote

god this sub lost its way years ago lol

−5

D_Lo_Key t1_itiino6 wrote

Ouch right in my electricity bill.

It is gorgeous though.

−6

dezualy OP t1_itij9ym wrote

I wonder the electricity vs not having to change ovens every 10-20 years for 70 years

D_Lo_Key t1_itinean wrote

Yeah that's a great point. For me my bill is already like 200 a month so I am always worried about it going up so that was the first thing that crossed my mind.

25_Watt_Bulb t1_itizj8p wrote

All resistive heating elements are 100% efficient, no matter what era they're from. So aside from differences in the oven insulation, this uses exactly the same amount of power as a similar modern stove.