Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Onechop123 t1_itpwz9e wrote

My grandma hated hers. It would keep getting caught on furniture or doorframes, and when she turned round to see what was wrong, there he was. Fucking smirking.

zuzuzuzucchini t1_itqhcfx wrote

I feel like your grandma and I would get along well. I despise canister vacs and all appliances I perceive to be mocking me.

LostDefectivePearl t1_itqxjbh wrote

Microwaves that beep at me a few seconds after beeping the first time? C’mon robot I heard you the first time, stop mocking my meatbag form, I’m on my damn way

Origonn t1_itrf9yo wrote

Don't think of it as taunting you. Think of it as helping you keep track of the whole 'let stand for 5 minutes and serve'.

spiralingtides t1_itt04nh wrote

I don't even own a mircowave anymore. Shit drove me nuts.

_SamuraiJack_ t1_ittmn1t wrote

Moved into a new house that had an obnoxiously loud microwave beep and it took me of solid week to figure out how to turn it off in the settings.

jmh90027 t1_itrq32u wrote

It's not seconds, it's a minute.

As in "let it stand for a minute".

tinytowntenant t1_ittupil wrote

This is how I differentiate between my good appliances and the ones who are not allowed access to the network lest they troll me. The good ones sing a happy little ditty when they're done, and maaaaybe ten minutes later chirp again to say "hey just in case you forgot!"(also the fridge automatically bc it beeps cheerfully if I leave the door ajar and I need that). The taunting ones sing flatly "hey your laundry is clean but wet you have ten seconds to get drying or I will purposely start making mildew happen".

Aken42 t1_itqyof3 wrote

I just melee my Miele to feel better.

J3ttf OP t1_itpyiob wrote

They’re brilliant machines but they can be heavy for older people, especially the more common 200 size.

Mr_Blott t1_ittphzc wrote

Top-heavy you mean. Smug cunts will fall over every time you look at them then grin at you like a special needs chimpanzee

Shyassasain t1_itrhzzg wrote

Oh my god it's like they're defying physics just to get caught on furniture, even if it's just touching a piece of furniture on the sides it'll not move an inch no matter how much you pull.

CaffeineTripp t1_ituaqbk wrote

Fuuuck. My MIL borrowed us hers for awhile. The Henry is an utterly huge piece of shit vacuum cleaner only meant for floors, not carpet.

We've a Miele now, hell of a lot better cleaner.

[deleted] t1_itpp37i wrote

[deleted]

Aken42 t1_itqyr8z wrote

So you're saying that the design.......sucks?

F-21 t1_itrlb2j wrote

Reminds me of the old Lucas electric jokes... When Lucas started making vacuums in the 70's, it was their only product which didn't suck.

Razur t1_itpj820 wrote

I desperately need a new vaccum and was considering a Henry. What was the refurbishing process like?

J3ttf OP t1_itplia1 wrote

Very easy as I’m familiar with them and they’re easy to work on. I remove all plastic parts and put them in the dishwasher then polish them. As for the electrics I just checked over the brushes and bearings and give everything a good clean! I bought a new filter and a genuine tool kit for it as well to give it new performance

RS_Skywalker t1_itq6two wrote

Are their bags loaded with proprietary gizmos/gaskets/connectors? Dealing with that decades ago turned me off of bagged vacuums.

J3ttf OP t1_itq79m3 wrote

RS_Skywalker t1_itq7w01 wrote

That's nice. What's the quality of the filter like? Are they cleanable and reusable or do you have to buy new ones?

J3ttf OP t1_itq8587 wrote

It’s fairly thick and in conjunction with the HEPA bags it doesn’t really get dirty. They also do a proper HEPA model for allergy sufferers

J3ttf OP t1_itq88p8 wrote

Oh and to clean them you can remove the black plastic piece and chuck it in the wash on a low heat setting, they don’t recommend it but I’ve never had any issues.

kaptoo t1_iudvac1 wrote

I have a Henry that works but gives off a bad smell. I was ready to throw it out but you’ve given me hope. Could I dm you for advice on the refurbishing process?

J3ttf OP t1_iue2kue wrote

Sure, but I can give you some advice now! Buy a new filter (about £10 off Amazon, less on eBay) and get some vacuum fresheners. My favourite brand are discs and come in a really ‘80s box, I’ll try and find a link :)

EDIT: Vacuum fresheners

Superdudeo t1_ittxw78 wrote

If they’re indestructible then you wouldn’t need to refurbish surely?

J3ttf OP t1_itu04sa wrote

I’m selling them on eBay, it’d be pretty awful of me to sell a dirty vacuum

aeuoncdryx t1_itq1b7i wrote

I’ve had a couple of dysons, but bought a cheap James to use at a house I was renovating. (James is essentially the same as the Henry apart from the winding mechanism for the cord, colour and think the top is a bit bigger). I am SOLD. It’s lovely to use, powerful, easy to clean. Tiny bit annoying carrying it up and down stairs with the hose and attachments but I’d 100% recommend. I’m going to hand my current dyson on to my mum and keep the James.

AntDogFan t1_itu8dbq wrote

I have a charles and find the attachments pretty annoying. Is there some kind of way to attach them to the machine I have missed?

aeuoncdryx t1_ituyyvn wrote

Not sure… on the James there’s a bit at the back with circle shapes in black plastic. You can clip the long silver tube there and one other attachment. I mostly just leave the ones I rarely use kicking about under the stairs.

thon t1_itqyjew wrote

I've repaired a few at work, you can get all the spares you need for them. although I have has to bin a couple, think vacuuming plaster/cement with no bag, all the hose was solid, filter shot, motor caked up, just not worth the time/cost compared to a new one. I do prefer the vacuums with large filter cartridges, think shopvac or equivalent, but this comes from a rubble/dust DIY perspective.

simonjp t1_itpypg3 wrote

A Henry and a Sports Direct mug in the same photo. Makes me feel patriotic.

J3ttf OP t1_itpz5v7 wrote

More British than the Queen’s grave

Snoo63 t1_itqq3g1 wrote

And £12 Platty Jubes chicken?

meisobear t1_itsf2jn wrote

C'mon lah it's £14 or you're taking the piss. I'm writing you up for the Corry bobs next year

jimjamalama t1_itt07tw wrote

I’ve literally never seen a thing like this

J3ttf OP t1_itu071n wrote

Are you British?

jimjamalama t1_itvn3aw wrote

Nope! I’m guessing this is why, hah, thanks!

J3ttf OP t1_itvqmvv wrote

No worries! They’re getting more popular worldwide so maybe one day you’ll get more familiar with them :)

Yak_Mehoff t1_itq85dt wrote

I used to do floors for a cleaning company, we all made fun of how stupid these things looked when we first got them but man, these things are super durable and always did a great job. Never ever judge an appliance by a stupid sticker they put on it 😉

Iamjacksgoldlungs t1_itqmtqe wrote

As a custodian who has used well over 15 of these in varying departments, I can confirm these things hold up.

I definitely wish the suction was a bit better on the 200 at times, but it does the job 99% of the time. I believe there's a model up that has a high/low function with stronger suction on high than the 200 if I remember correctly.

Someone mentioned worrying about buying bags, well I confirm these are used pretty widely and janitorial companies sell these bags in a generic brand.

Extremely easy to take apart and repair. Self containing cord is a cord saver and time saver for sure, can't stress that enough.

Capital_Reporter_412 t1_itscsyi wrote

For anybody who doesn't want to buy bags, you can also buy a reusable fabric bag that can go into the washing machine.

beavertownneckoil t1_ittvtq2 wrote

I used to work on offshore wind turbines. The gearboxes in those things were the size of a small car. If the gasket in the bottom needed replacing you didn't have to drain all the oil out. You'd get a Henry Hoover and put it through the gasket on top, this would hold all the oil at the right pressure so that none would fall out the bottom when you change that gasket. Brilliant little machines

ceestars t1_itwurr5 wrote

I bet both companies totally love the fact that these things are known as Henry Hoovers!

jarjardinksbtw t1_itsdh3n wrote

I use one at work without the self containing cord, and Henry's "hair" now looks like dreadlocks. Self containing cord > dreadlocks

gargravarr2112 t1_itpyla5 wrote

The one problem I have with Henrys is that they're still bagged. A bagless one without needing consumables would be awesome.

Otherwise, yep, there's a VERY good reason why most cleaning companies use these machines - they are the Hiluxes of vacuum cleaners. My grandmother bought one and it does its job extremely well.

CrowbarDepot t1_itpzfbb wrote

Bags are better than bagless in terms of suction power and hygiene, to this day.

jobezark t1_itq15z9 wrote

And the downside is you need to purchase bags there is no guarantee will be manufactured 5,10,20 years down the road

poo_is_hilarious t1_itq5k2k wrote

Henry's will be being used by cockroaches to clean their mansions after the nuclear apocalypse. I don't think you need to worry about finding bags!

CrowbarDepot t1_itq1wuv wrote

Numatic will still be there in 20 years - and if they aren't, there exists a sizable market of Numatic machine owners for third party bag manufacturers. No worries.

J3ttf OP t1_itq6s5c wrote

Yeah, every Tesco, Asda and Lidl I know have been carrying them for years

OldBoatsBoysClub t1_itqu6h4 wrote

They've been making them for forty years, and bags (and even most components) from a Henry made in 1982 work fine in one from 2022. I don't see why a product that's built its brand on reliability and sticking to what works for four decades could be any more less likely to go out of production - especially as it's been a consistent top seller in its domestic market for most of that forty years.

And generic bags work fine, they're not proprietary. You can even get cleanable ones if you want to fuck up your drains.

gargravarr2112 t1_itqk9t7 wrote

Numatic are well established and these are very popular machines, so it's a fairly safe bet - there's an excellent market for replacement bags so it's in their interests to keep making them. For lesser brands, definitely a problem though.

jameson71 t1_itq2pb4 wrote

If you buy from a decent brand like Meile, they sure as heck will be

J3ttf OP t1_itpzctd wrote

Bagged vacuums actually filter better and make vacuums last longer. Sure they’re an expendable but it means that you’re not buying a new machine every few years. Plus the bags are biodegradable

mslouishehe t1_itqglv0 wrote

I have very different experience. I have Dyson bagless for at least 5 years now with no intention of replacement so it's not like you have to buy new machine every few years. I've encountered a few Henry while renting as they are the hoover of choice for landlords. They all didn't have very good suction even with new bag, and for some reason they all smelled awful. Idk, maybe I am bias and have a mild form of PTSD from renting, everytime I see a Henry all I could think of were the smell and the landlords' faces.

−1

J3ttf OP t1_itqhal6 wrote

Dyson are half decent, not great quality but good warranties and customer service to make up for it

gargravarr2112 t1_itqj40q wrote

I also have a Dyson. The company now is a bit awful but their older root-cyclone models are very good. I don't expect it to outlive me, but it's reliable, well built and maintainable. Bought this DC-08 secondhand and it keeps working. Performs well too.

J3ttf OP t1_itqobyu wrote

Oh I love the DC08, it has brilliant suction. Probably one of my favourite Dyson’s next to the DC04

MunchieMom t1_itqc819 wrote

It's a HEPA bag. I much prefer that over bagless.

gargravarr2112 t1_itqem5q wrote

My cleaner has washable HEPA filters. I just prefer not to throw away containers.

MunchieMom t1_itqhdmg wrote

That's fair. The upside of the bags in these vacuums is that they're HUGE and depending on the size of your house and how dusty it is, will last you a long time. Months and months

gargravarr2112 t1_itqicty wrote

This is very true, the Henry does compensate with an enormous dust collector. Though, can be a pain when you finally do fill it up and you find you don't have any spares because it's been so long!

MunchieMom t1_itre0ws wrote

HAHA, that's exactly what I'm dealing with right now, actually. I can't remember if he came with 2 bags or only one.

Paprmoon7 t1_itr4t4k wrote

I have a Miele, I’m cheap so I empty my bags sometimes outside in a trash bag

9100 t1_itrxe5j wrote

I've got one Ive had for 20 odd years that was used when I got it and it's used for work so vacs up rubble and brick dust etc (and everything tbf). Never had a bag in it.

LBelacqua t1_itqz5t4 wrote

Pochita is that you?

BabuGhanoush t1_itqizir wrote

When I was a wee nipper, this motherfucker scared the daylights out of me (I think it was because it had a face when such an object shouldn't have).

I grew out of it, but that cringe still lingers.

IronicDeadPan t1_itpo04s wrote

Are the eyes stickers that the owner attaches? I've seen a few with the orientation random-like.

J3ttf OP t1_itpvdqh wrote

Nowadays they’re a clip on thing but the old models used to be

Hourae t1_itrtk4i wrote

Pochita alternative universe.

J3ttf OP t1_itru3t3 wrote

That is the cutest thing ever omg

Billeaugh t1_itquhhk wrote

I wondered why cruise ships used these. Now I know-they’re indestructible!

packykeou t1_itqo12r wrote

Growing up my father sold janitorial supplies and ended up with one of these, presumably was a demo model he just took home. 30 years later still is my parents’ vacuum cleaner. Indestructible!

Avarus_Lux t1_itqqggy wrote

can concur, salvaged mine for free from the garbage bin two years ago, cleaned the insides from the dried liquid carpet remains that were the reasons it was tossed out (it probably shorted too) and it has been doing its thing here ever since i fixed it by simply spending a few hours cleaning. i even managed to fix it's obnoxious jet sounding whine after a year of being annoyed by that. which proved to be even more carpet remains deeper in the rotor. amongst the best damn things i own i'd say.

MBO_EF t1_itpmk70 wrote

Henrys are the best!

jimmyinwisconsin t1_itqx8ch wrote

Can one order the face decals?

J3ttf OP t1_itqzs8s wrote

You can’t order them but if you email Numatic (not myHenry) and ask them nicely they’ll ship you a few for free. I have 5 or so

debaasmeister t1_itrk0z5 wrote

I have a cordless one! Amazing machines.

spanishcupcake t1_itrl472 wrote

Industrial cleaner. Last job we had a fleet of Henry’s and not a single issue in 3 years. Didn’t even replace the pads. Gone through 5 Henry’s this past year alone on a new job. Don’t make them how they used to.

J3ttf OP t1_itrldmn wrote

Oh no! Do you know what the problems were?

spanishcupcake t1_itrtzqe wrote

Honestly no idea, they get heavy use and so bags are replaced as necessary and filters replaced often enough.

Maybe something in the earth, lime content perhaps?

The pads don’t hold their quality and the motors just kinda die with little warning they just burn themselves out.

Tried others hoovers based on Henry but they were terribly designed, poor quality and somehow more expensive.

J3ttf OP t1_itru9wa wrote

I have heard of quality issues with the modern motors, if your company is willing to repair then let them know that the older style more reliable motors fit the new models

NameIs-Already-Taken t1_itrwqfn wrote

I have fixed loads of these. They are really robust. Typical failures are...

1. The cable fails at the vacuum end. The fix is to cut off the last few inches and reconnect. Sometimes it's the plug end.

2. The PCB can occasionally fail. Easy to get a replacement on ebay.

3. The motor might die very occasionally. I'd probably replace the Henry at that point, though motors can usually be found except for the very oldest ones.

J3ttf OP t1_itrx0sw wrote

And I didn’t know about the cable issues! I’ll keep a lookout for them

NameIs-Already-Taken t1_itu0hji wrote

The simple test is, of course, whether you get power on the brass 'fingers' when you plug it in. My first repair is to cut off a few inches from the centre end, but if that doesn't work, I cut off a few inches at the plug end. It can be kind to replace the entire cable with a longer one.

J3ttf OP t1_itrwyfd wrote

When I repair them I bypass the PCB with a light, like the most modern ones. Also, the ‘80s DAF motors can be replaced by a modern 1200w one if you knock off the bottom motor housing and slide it onto the replacement :).

haniwa4838sn t1_its30dx wrote

They used this on a cruise ship I was just on. That’s a lot of heavy duty cleaning day after day.

DiscoStu303 t1_its7dvs wrote

I hope it lasts for life, those things are surprisingly expensive

J3ttf OP t1_itsct7j wrote

Really? I know expensive is objective but ~£130 is pretty average for a hoover

DiscoStu303 t1_itslm6o wrote

Interesting, I'm in the US and they run $300-400 over here. Import tax maybe?

J3ttf OP t1_itu08z0 wrote

Oh yes, American Henry’s are a bit pricey. I think it’s because they have to get a green card

MunchieMom t1_itqc0yg wrote

I have a James and the tube in the front keeps falling out. Still like the little guy, though

J3ttf OP t1_itqc5lp wrote

Put a small amount of glue in the rim of the plastic screw bit and screw it on counter clockwise :)

Omnizoa t1_itr33nq wrote

Some coworkers dropped his guy on his head a few times and split his skull wide open. Duct tape patched him right up.

brandazzlin t1_itu6qfu wrote

How long was it used before refurbishing? Had mine for 10 years… still works like the day I got it.

DJEB t1_itu8krc wrote

Best cord rewind in the business, in my opinion.

Apoth75 t1_ituaolo wrote

Mine needs a new on/off switch (or the motor is shot) do you know where I could get on in the uk?

J3ttf OP t1_ituav33 wrote

henrybags.co.uk is great! Good customer service too so if you don’t know which model you have you can ask them

Succcccccmedry t1_iu2k6q1 wrote

I moved to UK from the US and one of the first things I had to get was a Henry. My partner couldnt even be mad because it is cute and works so well ( we already had a dyson and a irobot vacuum).

Chris_Moyn t1_itqolbx wrote

I have destructed a few lol

alwaysroanna t1_its1431 wrote

They aren't when used for proffesional jobs 🙈 ours have wheels and all manner of things missing....

My Hetty I have at home is good though.

J3ttf OP t1_its2mma wrote

But does it still work?

alphabet_order_bot t1_its2nqk wrote

Would you look at that, all of the words in your comment are in alphabetical order.

I have checked 1,125,976,219 comments, and only 220,496 of them were in alphabetical order.

alexbam1 t1_itsfqzu wrote

It is very… attractive…

Zaitsev11 t1_itsgvyp wrote

Reminds me of The Brave Little Toaster

Gorge_Cumsson t1_itsib9s wrote

“Henry, the best blow job you’ll ever get”

Myztical13 t1_itsuowb wrote

I have his brother James!

El_Cielo_Es_Azul t1_itszj0o wrote

I want one of these so bad but we already have a Kirby😭

techstyles t1_ittqj2h wrote

I broke one - kicked it across a room and the red tub cracked on the bottom and a chunk fell out...

That said I duct taped the break and he's been running fine ever since

Reasonable-Court3420 t1_iu4gt24 wrote

Isn’t that kinda contradictory? If you had to repair/refurbish, then it’s not indestructible. That is all, I’ll show myself out now.

J3ttf OP t1_iu4lmp0 wrote

I’m selling it on eBay, I don’t wanna sell a dirty vacuum. It worked fine before

KnifeW0unds t1_itq40yq wrote

I bet my kid could break that in no time

−2

J3ttf OP t1_itq5ar9 wrote

Good luck, they’re really tough! I’m not really sure what your kid could do to it to be honest…

gargravarr2112 t1_itqjre7 wrote

Presumably it'd be like Tonka - if someone does break one, the company will spirit the remains away to learn from it and make the next version even stronger...