Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

JohnnyMcEuter t1_itz9cfe wrote

I am feeling very stupid for operating our Peugeot salt and pepper grinders (also a wedding gift 4 years ago) exactly the same way your parents are doing, minus the slamming on the table, thankfully. Does the reverse motion damage the burrs or is it just not effective? It just find the back-and-forth rotation more comfortable than a constant one-directional rotation with regripping the grinder.

To comment on the "buy it for life part" of the grinders: One of the screws on the underside holding the little clamp came loose recently and we found it again in the rissoto we were preparing. Was an easy fix, though.

Bridgemaster11 t1_itzx7t8 wrote

>Does the reverse motion damage the burrs?

No but it can cause the screws holding the little clamp to come loose apparently

Jonluw t1_iu13ng4 wrote

I once broke a grinder in a matter of weeks/months by going back and forth.

Hisnibbs t1_iu1wj44 wrote

Grindr once broke me in a matter of weeks/months by going back and forth.

ryusoma t1_iu2ncvx wrote

Pretty sure that happened in a couple of specific minutes actually..

kermityfrog t1_iu1eig1 wrote

I think it just gets loose if you turn it the wrong way. Google search turns up no credible results that are not old wives tales. What happens to left handed people? If it can only be rotated one way you’d think the makers would either put a label on it or a spring so that you can only turn it one way.

Hinote21 t1_iu1rxtt wrote

If you ever look at the shape of burrs, they're designed to grind one direction. It shouldn't be necessary to put a sticker on it saying so. Not saying it's going to break but there is a clear difference between turning one way vs the other.

kermityfrog t1_iu1sxb6 wrote

Some pepper grinders feature clockwise for fine grind and counter for coarse grind.

cheesepage t1_iu29j42 wrote

Standard grind is one way. It doesn't hurt the standard grinder much to reverse, maybe just a little more wear. I used a Peugeot pepper grinder possibly ever thirty seconds for decades in restaurants. No fails.

The pewter one I have at home has seems to have not aged a bit in 17 years.

InternationalGain3 t1_iu1tjeo wrote

The back and forth rotation can cause loose screws in risottos.

ryusoma t1_iu2nj0k wrote

From the sounds of it, it also causes loose-screws in in-laws too.

agentvulva t1_iu3qayp wrote

they are bad grinders, they do not achieve any kind of good grinding result. it is another french company like le creuset that got bought out and are just selling based on early company performance

−1