Submitted by Alb1rdy t3_yeoj6u in BuyItForLife

I finally bought my own Peugeot pepper and salt mills, which is a milestone for me and something I expect to have for the rest of my life. My parents have had the same Peugeot mills for over 30 years and they still grind both pepper and salt just fine. They are quite expensive, but for something that is going to last the most of my life time, then I think it is worth every penny.

And yes, it is the same company that also makes cars, but they have actually been making salt and pepper mills since 1874.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

surelythisisfree t1_itz2409 wrote

My parents in law bought a Peugeot pepper grinder the same as ours after we got one as a wedding gift. They destroyed it in 2 years because they couldn’t comprehend that a burr grinder is designed to operate one way. So instead of rotating it clockwise, they’d rotate it back and forth angrily and then start hitting it at the table when nothing came out.

Amazon-Prime-package t1_itzcw5n wrote

I don't know how to say this tactfully but this one description makes them sound like actual children

GullibleDetective t1_iu0luwz wrote

Like Bam bam from flintstones

rjojo t1_iu0npg1 wrote

Or Zoolander computer scene.

GullibleDetective t1_iu0o5jt wrote

And office space printer scene

Kimlitz t1_iu34teo wrote

No, printers are the fucking devil. My work printer is garbage and makes my life harder than it needs to be. Anyone who has worked with a shit printer can empathize with that scene.

Fred_Is_Dead_Again t1_itzjnf8 wrote

Only North of the equator. South goes CCW, due to Coriolis Effect.

fuzzydoug t1_itzxiyp wrote

You come to me with this effect, on this the day of my only daughters wedding.

cakebreaker2 t1_iu01llb wrote

Lol. Can you believe that my wife has watched that movie?

nope_nic_tesla t1_iu0dpti wrote

I personally find it hard to believe that your wife has watched one of the most famous movies of all time.

cakebreaker2 t1_iu0j19r wrote

Dammit. I read your response and it made no sense. Then I read what I posted. She has NOT watched it.

JoMamma_80 t1_iu0skm2 wrote

I have not, either. My husband is quite disappointed in me as well.

RiotsMade t1_iu1nst0 wrote

I’ve attempted to watch it three times, and turned it off all three

procrastimom t1_iu1jrf4 wrote

I’ve probably seen the whole movie in my life time, just in bits and chunks.

Renvors t1_iu0vdfe wrote

This is a fucking quality joke. Everyone else get out

zimzimmawho t1_iu04a31 wrote

Better as Tobias to check which way the toilet water is flowing

JohnnyMcEuter t1_itz9cfe wrote

I am feeling very stupid for operating our Peugeot salt and pepper grinders (also a wedding gift 4 years ago) exactly the same way your parents are doing, minus the slamming on the table, thankfully. Does the reverse motion damage the burrs or is it just not effective? It just find the back-and-forth rotation more comfortable than a constant one-directional rotation with regripping the grinder.

To comment on the "buy it for life part" of the grinders: One of the screws on the underside holding the little clamp came loose recently and we found it again in the rissoto we were preparing. Was an easy fix, though.

Bridgemaster11 t1_itzx7t8 wrote

>Does the reverse motion damage the burrs?

No but it can cause the screws holding the little clamp to come loose apparently

Jonluw t1_iu13ng4 wrote

I once broke a grinder in a matter of weeks/months by going back and forth.

Hisnibbs t1_iu1wj44 wrote

Grindr once broke me in a matter of weeks/months by going back and forth.

ryusoma t1_iu2ncvx wrote

Pretty sure that happened in a couple of specific minutes actually..

kermityfrog t1_iu1eig1 wrote

I think it just gets loose if you turn it the wrong way. Google search turns up no credible results that are not old wives tales. What happens to left handed people? If it can only be rotated one way you’d think the makers would either put a label on it or a spring so that you can only turn it one way.

Hinote21 t1_iu1rxtt wrote

If you ever look at the shape of burrs, they're designed to grind one direction. It shouldn't be necessary to put a sticker on it saying so. Not saying it's going to break but there is a clear difference between turning one way vs the other.

kermityfrog t1_iu1sxb6 wrote

Some pepper grinders feature clockwise for fine grind and counter for coarse grind.

cheesepage t1_iu29j42 wrote

Standard grind is one way. It doesn't hurt the standard grinder much to reverse, maybe just a little more wear. I used a Peugeot pepper grinder possibly ever thirty seconds for decades in restaurants. No fails.

The pewter one I have at home has seems to have not aged a bit in 17 years.

InternationalGain3 t1_iu1tjeo wrote

The back and forth rotation can cause loose screws in risottos.

ryusoma t1_iu2nj0k wrote

From the sounds of it, it also causes loose-screws in in-laws too.

agentvulva t1_iu3qayp wrote

they are bad grinders, they do not achieve any kind of good grinding result. it is another french company like le creuset that got bought out and are just selling based on early company performance

−1

jpobble t1_itz45xk wrote

Don’t all grinders go one way? WTF did they have before?

Mars-For-The-Rich t1_iu07axt wrote

I’m pretty sure my pepper grinder works clockwise or ccw. I always just twist it back and forth and it’s never had an issue. It’s not a nice one either it was like $8.

kalpol t1_iu0xwj2 wrote

yeah all my crappy ones work both ways.

no_one_likes_u t1_iu0a23n wrote

My ex dropped my Peugeot pepper mill in the kitchen and the wood shattered. :-/

KraZe_EyE t1_iu0hxkx wrote

If you know a wood worker they could make you a new body and reuse the internals.

rosinall t1_iu0kcdp wrote

/r/BuyItForLifeIfYouDontDropIt

Edit: Took advice below

KraZe_EyE t1_iu1agdq wrote

I think that applies to most things though lol

PS remove the period so your comment becomes a link

superior9 t1_iu0mw45 wrote

I have a long Peugeot pepper grinder that I’ve turned both directions for years. I just checked their FAQ and indeed the proper direction is clockwise otherwise the ground bits go up into the grinder. But it does not say that it damages the thing. Very intrigued that so many people agreed with your comment.

surelythisisfree t1_iu1fvy8 wrote

It generally won’t damage it. It just doesn’t work. The damage they did was hitting it down thinking that was how to get the peppercorns into the burrs.

superior9 t1_iu40djz wrote

Imagine getting this worked up over a fucking pepper grinder

minze t1_iu1wviy wrote

Wait, you aren’t supposed to grind by twisting left-right-left until you get the amount you want? TIL

That probably explains why our mills only last a couple years.

Peas63 t1_itz4wz1 wrote

We got a Peugeot pepper mill for our wedding. The wooden adjustment collar thing at the bottom broke after just a couple months of minimal use. Couldn’t get any response from the company. Replaced it with a Fletcher’s Mill which was much cheaper but grinds so much smoother and quicker.

leftieaz t1_itzrle6 wrote

Was this the USelect model that broke?

I read that the newer USelect have that design defect and no longer considered buy it for life.

Peas63 t1_itzt3o5 wrote

Yeah it was. This was around 2018/2019.

johnyfin t1_iu0judw wrote

That's so weird. I'm rocking a peugeot pepper mill (not sure which model) for like over 10 years already, had no problems at all.

skonevt t1_iu0aq0w wrote

I got one around 2007 and have never liked it. Not sure if it's just me or something is wrong with it. Reading on now, I'm seeing the term "USelect" for the first time. If by USelect you mean the bottom ring that says I, II, III, etc. - I guess that's what I have.

Bortaman t1_iu0icnl wrote

Ours work very well but the collars broke on both at their first drop off the table. We have three kids so there is no reality where that wouldn’t have happened. The collar is sooo thin and there’s plastic behind so it’s a very weak part. Maybe there are better versions of it?

LAGA_1989 t1_iu10ej1 wrote

I heard SO many good things and was deeply disappointed with mine. The red coating on mine cracked immediately after buy it. Started chipping off into the food. Then it just cracked up the side. Total garbage. I got a Magnum brand pepper mill and that thing seriously rocks! Grinds a ton quickly and never has any issues. It also holds a lot of pepper so I only refill it every month or so. Had mine 3 years so far and now my extended family all have one too. I will warn you though, when it arrived at my office, the secretary thought it was a big black dildo based on the pic on the box and the word MAGNUM Printed enormously on the side of the box. 😅

boomboombalatty t1_iu17abx wrote

I'm also team Magnum, but a plastic part in base of my first one did fail. I looked around for something better, but once you go Magnum you can never go back to something smaller.

4touchdownsinonegame t1_iu0kllx wrote

I recently had the same thing. I had zero issues getting a replacement through their website.

skonevt t1_iu0ta37 wrote

u/Peas63 just want to verify with you -- this is the Fletchers' Mill you're referring to? Thanks!
https://fletchersmill.com/https://fletchersmill.com/

Peas63 t1_iu0ucqk wrote

That link's not working for me, but I have the model that looks a lot like the Peugeot Paris - looks like it's the "Federal" model on Amazon, in 8" white.

skonevt t1_iu0un1n wrote

Sorry about the link. Sounds like I found the right place. Definitely saw the "Federal" model. Thank you!

PiersPlays t1_iu14bbn wrote

AFAIK the models with the new adjustment collar are all like that but the ones without are still just as good as ever.

JimEngland t1_iu1r416 wrote

+1. Fletchers Mill is the superior product in 2022

tomate12 t1_iu1uc6v wrote

I've had two sets that have broken like that.

OGD114 t1_itz8bli wrote

Unicorn Magnum for the win!

recchiap t1_itztk4x wrote

Yeah, team Magnum!

Mines going on year 20, and grinds like day 1. Thanks Alton brown for the tip.

spool_threader t1_iu08ov0 wrote

Isn’t that the one where you have to load the peppercorns through a hole the side?

thegroundbelowme t1_iu0ah9u wrote

Yeah, the hole is like an inch in diameter though. I just grip mine in such a way that the membrane between my index finger and thumb follows the curve of the bottom of the opening, acting like a dam for the peppercorns, and my thumb and index finger act like a funnel. Then I just pour in peppercorns. Takes about 15 seconds from opening to closing. It holds enough that I generally only have to refill it every 4-6 months, and we use a LOT of black pepper in our household.

Ziggy_the_third t1_iu0ucn7 wrote

If they are, the point is moot since you can't buy one. I've been checking their website every single day for months on end, and no product is showing up for sale, and I've given up and gone for a different brand.

eftsoom t1_iu2fnt5 wrote

I've broken 3. The third time was the last straw and I've moved on. Haven't found a perfect solution yet but I'm leaning towards that pepper cannon.

goingtolosehourshere t1_itz7s07 wrote

We invested in salt cannon and pepper cannon. Either way, milling is the way to go!

g_bagel t1_iu0imwm wrote

My family bought my dad a pepper cannon and he loves it so much he travels with it! When I first saw the price I hesitated but I have to admit it’s a damn fine pepper grinder

Ok_Description1703 t1_iu1vs4o wrote

I own the set. They’re expensive but unparalleled in performance. To be honest the salt cannon is really unnecessary; however, I wanted a matching set.

Sharchir t1_itz1ds7 wrote

Our salt grinder (from them) metal seemed to corrode over time

tuctrohs t1_itz2dxf wrote

Fresh ground pepper is vastly different from pepper purchased pre ground. Salt grinders aren't really necessary, unless you like to adjust the fineness of the grind for different foods.

Quail-a-lot t1_iu02ia1 wrote

Salt grinder is nice for keeping it from clumping. Works better for us than any advice of putting rice or such in the salt shaker did!

tuctrohs t1_iu066v1 wrote

That's the best explanation I've heard!

ConBroMitch t1_itzarii wrote

Salt + metal = corrosion. There is no way around it.

The alternative is plastic, and I’m sure you can imagine how that story ends.

SigSeikoSpyderco t1_itzh7xi wrote

I have a Khun Rikon that uses glass and ceramic.

JerichoKilo t1_iu0xm0b wrote

Their carbon blade veg peelers are unparalleled as well. I worked in commercial kitchens for 30 years and while not bifl in that scenario they'd last 4-5 years if no one stole them or ran them through the garbage disposal.

travelingslo t1_iu2plai wrote

I didn’t know this was a thing! Thanks for sharing. Veg peelers get rusty or fall apart. I’m going to find this!

iThinkergoiMac t1_iu02rku wrote

Ceramic is the answer. We have some OXO grinders that use ceramic grinders, they work great. We use one for sale and it’s been going strong for a few years now.

Mars-For-The-Rich t1_iu07k1z wrote

I have a glass one for my salt. We just buy big chunky kosher salt in our house so the grinder is often actually necessary.

ride_whenever t1_iu0s20v wrote

That’s just not true, plenty of metals aren’t corroded by salt.

ConBroMitch t1_iu1am3z wrote

Then why don’t we see metal in salt grinders? 🤔

Edit: I’m specifically talking about the grinder itself. Lots of brands tout “metal gearing etc.” but the grinder itself is ceramic or plastic.

agentvulva t1_iu3qcv0 wrote

yes, they are terrible grinders - no professional chef would ever use one. they used to be good in the 80s and 90s, but they got bought out similar to le creuset

Dying4aCure t1_iu196nx wrote

Salt is terribly corrosive to metal. I live at the beach and all furniture in my house has to be wood. My fridge, stove and dishwasher ever rust.

gauntz t1_iu0nbnw wrote

It's weird to see Peugeot mill recommendations so often when past discussions on this sub singled them out as a company that has degraded in quality over the last decade(s) and that there are more BIFL options out there. I went out of my way to get a Zassenhaus instead, who offer a 25 year warranty on the ceramic grinder.

agentvulva t1_iu3qewn wrote

yes, they are terrible. got bought out like le creuset (who use a ton of chemicals to dye their kitchen products). zassenhaus also not recommended - get zwilling, they are the only way to go. zassenhaus is also doing some cheap crap although is better than Peugeot.

gauntz t1_iu5aowm wrote

My Zassenhaus has a ceramic grinder with that 25 year warranty which seems pretty unbreakable. The body is lacquered wood and seems durable, certainly if I keep it away from heavy moisture. The milling action is quite nice feeling. How is it cheap crap?

agentvulva t1_iu92j43 wrote

Zassenhaus do some decent products but they have some flaws. most of these companies have flaws at least in some departments, like if they start venturing into electronics or whatever. I bought a classic style zassenhaus kitchen timer, with a magnet and then after about 6 months it fell apart and i realized it was made with low quality control. even part of the cover came off. probably they have a few good bits and pieces, maybe in more timeless products like knives, chopping boards or pots have higher standards of quality control.

ZWILLING, on the other hand, they just do not compromise and they are not messing around with quality standards. it is a classic german steel company based in Sollingen, the german capital of steel, and they haven't had any aggressive takeover in the last 100 years.

they are so successful but only among pro level chefs and people who know the brand and what they stand for. they bought STAUB the alternative to Le Creseut. Since Le Creseut got bought about thirty (EDITED) years ago, STAUB is the industry standard for enameled cast iron.

ZWILLING make many of the best pro level kitchen knives, stainless steel and ceramics. go with them for ALL your kitchen products if you live in Europe. If you live in US then it might not be worth it due to import fees and taxes.

gauntz t1_iu9al2p wrote

Thanks for elaborating, but looking at Zwilling pepper mills they only/mainly seem to focus on electric mills, whereas I don't know why anyone would buy an electric mill unless they were milling industrial amounts of pepper or something. If you're going for a BIFL pepper mill, then the obvious choice would be a non-electric one, which I think everyone here including me is discussing.

I don't doubt your explanation that Zwilling is a higher quality brand overall though.

xj_scuba t1_itzzngi wrote

Pepper mill, sure. The salt mill however, is completely useless. Fresh ground pepper tastes better than preground. Fresh ground salt is just finer salt. I bought both, used the salt mill twice before realizing it is just a waste of effort, and instead bought a nice salt jar and some good salt from Jacobsen's at the coarseness I preferred.

limee89 t1_iu1i7uc wrote

You bring forward a very good point. Why do we use salt mills then?

brisk0 t1_iu1o6oc wrote

Because storing in large crystals:

• reduces clumping
  • let's you buy/store one pack of salt for any preferred coarseness
  • looks pretty neat
  • is (obviously) not useless despite the popular opinion of this sub (it just has different reasons to pepper)

mbls1720 t1_iu1o5b9 wrote

We use a salt mill for better quality salt like Himalayan pink salt and there are all types of other fancy salt

tambor333 t1_itzvzu7 wrote

My Pepper Mill is almost 36 years old now and I use it nearly every day. I never was into a salt mill, I used kosher salt or used a mortar and pestle when I needed fine salt.

Damn_Amazon t1_iu0m3ue wrote

I bought some beautiful Vic Firth mills that will last me until the grave. There’s no point to the salt mill, but I hate to separate a set.

PosThor t1_itz84gt wrote

Bought a Peugeot salt mill a few years ago and was very surprised to find it seemed to be very picky with the grain of the unground salt. I had to try a few different salts to find one it worked with, and even with that, wasn't really a fan of the milling feel, if that makes sense. It's adjustable yes, but I'd be OK with having to use a bit more force per turn if it would lead to a bit more yield per turn.

Fryceratops t1_itzojk6 wrote

GE makes toasters and missile systems. Peugeot making mills isnt crazy.

ShakesOut t1_iu0j0uw wrote

I think the difference between the Peugeot pepper mills you find in every old french people's home and the ones you find on Amazon today is huge.

RyanB95 t1_itz7nik wrote

How do they compare to that new Pepper Canon I have seen advertised?

Green_Three t1_iu05v1r wrote

I wish I got a pepper cannon over my fletchers. Turns out I use a lot of pepper.

ConBroMitch t1_itzaykb wrote

Peugeot is known the world over for BIFL pepper grinders, the other is not. Enough said.

−8

Ziggy_the_third t1_iu0uz6y wrote

Not on this sub, they're probably the most hated fake bifl product on here.

ConBroMitch t1_iu1aifo wrote

Most people here buy from Amazon which is notorious for fake Peugeots.

−2

eftsoom t1_iu2fvdd wrote

I had a real Peugeot and it broke. Not a BIFL product.

Mariannereddit t1_itz9uix wrote

Crushgrind is a nice alternative with smaller mills (fitting easier in my drawer)

itsthedopigoguy t1_itzj9q7 wrote

I think the best out there are by Iron Mills.

schming_ding t1_itztra6 wrote

I like mine, but I find the peppercorns do not gravity feed to the burrs very well.

EvilLittle t1_iu0axjs wrote

I have a 12"(?) Peugeot that's missing the nut. I've replaced it with a metric brass wingnut, but it does not hold its setting so I don't really use it. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement nut?

I also have a Dansk Quistgaard with a Peugeot mechanism that I found at a community rummage sale. It has a very nice mechanism, but it's non-adjustable and the capacity is for people who are afraid of pepper.

Frankly, for everyday use, I have no issue with the Ikea mill that I got in 2008--a Peugeot knockoff with the same ceramic mechanism as the 365+ IHÄRDIG. It holds its setting extremely well, fills easily, doesn't need to be reset after filling, and has good capacity.

TERRAOperative t1_iu0s9z9 wrote

Try using a nyloc nut instead. You will need a wrench to adjust it, but it won't work loose.

purlingpearl t1_itz0tm0 wrote

Another thing to add to my list of practical gifts I can buy someone.

Thank you!

ConBroMitch t1_itzb35s wrote

They make an awesome gift. Just make sure you buy from a reputable source. TONS of fakes out there, unfortunately.

PequodSeapod t1_itzfzk1 wrote

Came here to say this. We received one from Amazon as a gift, and it’s clearly a fake. It works okay at best, and doesn’t seem like it’s going to last long.

guimontag t1_iu0ezc6 wrote

Idk there's a lot of negative reviews in here for the brand. I'd reconsider it.

JoMamma_80 t1_iu0t3oc wrote

And I just added “quality pepper mill” to my list for my husband for this year! He is getting a lot of random stuff thanks to some of my favorite subreddits! Lol!

Ziggy_the_third t1_iu0uub7 wrote

The old old ones, were good, the ones they make today are unfortunately not up to the task anymore. Search this sub for pepper mills and you'll find tons of people complaining about Peugeot mills.

Time_Lie_2566 t1_itz73lm wrote

Yes! Just bought one salt and one pepper for my fiancé’s bday and we love them. You can get the smallest sizes for a relatively reasonable price.

ParadoxPath t1_itzbdn4 wrote

Have 2 salt 1 pepper. They work well years later. Including the salt that has a huge crack in its base from being dropped, still works pretty well

rosie803 t1_itzeffh wrote

I absolutely adore mine and will sing their praises to anyone who likes cooking (or eating tbh)l

Whenever I go to a restaurant I’m gutted I can’t adjust the fineness of my salt or pepper grind. They’ve ruined me for life.

Nightstar49 t1_itzukwq wrote

We bought Cole & Mason Keswick Salt and Pepper Mills. Much classier modern look that doesn't look obscenely large on an average dining table or kitchen counter (admittedly might be thinking of a specific model), don't have a mediocre car logo on them, matching set for both with adjustable grind size and a lifetime guarantee on any wear&tear or accidental breakage, from an established brand.

I realise this is a very antagonistic comment, but I don't care how brilliant the Peugeot Pepper Mill is; I'm not having a Peugeot logo on my dining set!

Just_Cauliflower8415 t1_iu07ln9 wrote

i got these too and really like them! i was looking for one that i could see how much salt and pepper was left and landed on these.

NicolBolassy t1_itzz81p wrote

We received ours as a present, but will have to get back to you in 20years to see if it is still good 😋

tap_in_birdies t1_itzzwy0 wrote

I have one. They are nice and indeed seem to be BIFL worthy. However the amount of pepper they grind with a single twist is lacking. So it’s on our dinner table now

Quail-a-lot t1_iu03433 wrote

My husband: I can't believe I just spent this much on a pepper mill (we have one of the shorter Paris classic models because they are substantially less than the tall bois and we don't mind refilling it more often)

My husband every every time he cooks: Damn, this is a nice pepper mill!

Yogicabump t1_iu03f2r wrote

WTF! I had that question exactly, why am I supposed to pay so much for salt pepper mills that a CAR MAKER just labeled with their name? I am now tempted.

Yogicabump t1_iu0bu23 wrote

Went to look at the plastic ones I have now, a present. Guess the brand?

Ziggy_the_third t1_iu0vh5n wrote

Don't, they're not worth it anymore. And the the story behind the product is that Peugeot has manufactured a lot of different things through the years. I believe they started out with bicycles, then moved on to cars, but then changed to household stuff after the German occupation during ww2, because they didn't want to make anything that could be useful to the Germans.

ThxItsadisorder t1_iu05x48 wrote

Oh I have been looking for a pepper mill so you may have just convinced me to invest in a Peugot mill.

riemerbeek t1_iu05yk4 wrote

Mine looks like absolute shit after a year of use

Also, it doesnt crack pepper half as good as the pre packaged (pepper included) mills

546875674c6966650d0a t1_iu08nvt wrote

I just saw one of these in a kitchen store in Kansas, and was like... wait, wha...? I had no idea they were a thing. Suddenly everyone on reddit is talking them up. Right now we have a Le Creuset one that ... works but, I feel it's not super special. Probably the universe telling me something I guess.

otusowl t1_iu0djoy wrote

For people who like brass as a material to take on a patina over the course of its life, the Atlas pepper mills are also BIFL in my experience. Their salt mill stinks, though, and as others have noted about other salt mills, are also fairly pointless.

ZippySLC t1_iu0n8dy wrote

I was going to come and post about my Atlas mills. I've had both the salt and pepper mills since 2017 and they've been great. The copper exterior of the salt mill has developed a dark patina but the pepper one is still bright and shiny. I don't mind as it helps to differentiate the two at a glance.

radiopulse t1_iu0qdrm wrote

Does anyone have a good rec for metal peppermills with handles? I've seen the Atlas ones and heard good things but was hoping for something coated/painted black to prevent rust or deterioration. A family member has an old-ass black metal mill they got as a gift forever ago that looks similar to an atlas but with like a coal chute hopper-loader and it's amazing and I've always been on the lookout for a similar one but haven't had any luck.

boomboombalatty t1_iu16w0s wrote

They're decent, but not buy it for life. I've had two, both eventually failed, and had miniscule peppercorn capacities.

GoldenMonkeyRedux t1_iu1avtv wrote

The best pepper mill ever is the Unicorn Magnum.

I've owned over a dozen. I only use that in my kitchen now.

eftsoom t1_iu2ec1y wrote

Mine broke. It's great but I'm searching for better. Really thinking about that pepper cannon.

zDxrkness t1_iu03cer wrote

what model did you get?

lex10 t1_iu0iqnh wrote

Mine is 39 years old. Still works!

jfl_cmmnts t1_iu0l3tq wrote

Either Peugeot or Perfex, I have my reasons behind preferring the latter but they're both great

YungPharaoh30 t1_iu0lztl wrote

I’ve actually heard this several times before. May have to get myself a set

redaloevera t1_iu0mdc2 wrote

I got one just recently as well. Loving it so far. Hindsight wish I went for the bigger size

VideoGamesAllDay t1_iu0p2wf wrote

We’ve had ours for 15 years and they still work great! We use the pepper mill every day.

danhave t1_iu0qi11 wrote

I just got a set off my wedding registry, and they’re junk! The salt one is leaking constantly, and both adjustment knobs go loose if you look at them funny.

ride_whenever t1_iu0siwl wrote

STOP BUYING SALT MILLS

Have coarse, fine and kosher salt on hand, and be done, or just kosher and pinch it as you dispense.

Totally agree on the mills though, I have three for separate peppercorns.

cfhenriques t1_iu10xw1 wrote

Bought both Peugeot metal salt and pepper mills.

Pepper mill works like a charm. I love it.

Salt mill only worked with the salt it came with, but never again. Tried multiple salt types already … nothing. I keep trying every now and then, but end up giving up on it :(

strawberry_l t1_iu1857m wrote

Yeah mine had been holding up fantastically. Sadly I don't like it, extremely difficult to fill up and so much falls out the bottom, it's absurd.

AlmostInfinitesimal t1_iu1ag6v wrote

My parents had a salt and pepper from Peugeot. They were awful and thankfully they eventually got rid of them.

frezik t1_iu1dx6e wrote

I've actually seen them on cruise ships, which is a place where they'd get a lot of use. The only issue they had is that lettering wears off and you don't know which is salt and which is pepper.

no-office-required t1_iu1pfwl wrote

Do they have metal or ceramic burrs? So many S&P mills are all plastic. Struggling to find a good set…

bettytomatoes t1_iu1xe95 wrote

I've always wondered if they were worth the hype. Good to know!

FastRedPonyCar t1_iu20juy wrote

Damn we bought our mills from Target 18 years ago for like $30 and use them twice a day and they’re still running flawlessly. I feel like I inadvertently cheated after looking at the price of some of these other recommendations. Yikes. They all look nice though.

supershinythings t1_iu23kxl wrote

I have both the Peugeot stick grinder and the box grinder. They’re awesome.

When I need a lot of pepper for a rub, for instance, I use the box grinder. It has a crank on the top making it easy to grind quantities.

For finishing a salad or a soup, the stick grinder is great.

holy_cal t1_iu24e8h wrote

I bought the 210 anniversary edition, it’s been fantastic. Lots of people are here complaining about the U Select, that just looks like a gimmick anyway.

creakyclimber t1_iu2cfd0 wrote

My Peugeot salt grinder is rusting on the bottom. For a chance at being BIFL it’d have to be ceramic and 316 marine stainless for any metal parts… the pepper mill is fine, but IMO Peugeot is overrated and like many companies, the new ones aren’t built like the old ones

Gniphe t1_iu2iu90 wrote

Love my Peugeot pepper mill. Fresh ground pepper hits different.

Buy a salt cellar. Season by pinching.

girley18 t1_iu2n2p7 wrote

It’s on my Xmas list

mariana_kl t1_iu2qrdb wrote

Heck yeah, guaranteed for life. Love mine

Legendary_Hercules t1_iu2vosy wrote

Wait, you guys break your pepper mills? I've got the cheapest pepper mill I could find at walmart 17 years ago and it's still in great shape.

togashi_joe t1_iu2wyld wrote

I've had a pair for 13 years now. One sees almost daily use for black peppercorn grinding and the grind size numbers have nearly rubbed off but it works just as fine as day 1. Paid $55 for each of them.

Edit: The other is for white peppercorns.

GhostInTheSock t1_iu34szw wrote

I had a Peugeot pepper mill and gave it away since my wife wanted Zassenhaus with a special wood finish. Let me say that I didn’t know Peugeot quality wasn’t the standard so I am still disappointed every day.

I should not have given the Peugeot away. The only nice aspect is that one of my best friends always and I mean by every visit say to me how great the pepper mill is that I gave him years ago.

So OP is right. I would say it’s the best brand when you want best quality for your money.

CoreyH213 t1_iu45txk wrote

What are you just "throwing out there?"

Froggatt34 t1_iu135vy wrote

Why are you saying pepper and salt, not salt and pepper?

Dying4aCure t1_iu19c3i wrote

How about electric for people who like loads of pepper and are lazy?

ManjiSouls t1_iu1kwsk wrote

Question, are these or any other mills truly effective at grinding pepper into dust? I’ve used far too many pepper grinders that leave chunks of peppercorn that may hurt my teeth

brisk0 t1_iu1phc0 wrote

I haven't done any comparisons and I have no idea what they cost but I was given a pair of Maxwell Williams acrylic grinders for a wedding present and the pepper grinder does really fine dust by default (I had to adjust it a lot because I like my pepper chunky).

You might be better off trying a variety of really cheap grinders though, they're kind of BIFL by default? I've never had a grinder break and my last workhorse was a $2 "pepper with free refillable grinder!" from a grocery store (it's still in my cupboard, just replaced because wedding gift)

Skarsnik101 t1_iu1lqok wrote

The wood cracked on ours. We moved on to the electric ones, so much better.

n.b. I still have a big pepper grinder in the kitchen. But even then I tend to steal the electric one as it's faster.