Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

iamalext t1_iutr7fp wrote

Pretty penny for one in good shape, like this one!

Brvcewavne OP t1_iuts5sh wrote

Not looking to sell but what do you think something like it sells for?

iamalext t1_iutsj28 wrote

Just saw one on ebay for $3500, but it was in excellent shape. The unit listed next to it was practically dead and going for $350 (https://vatican.com/Stoves-Wrought-Iron-Range-Co/)

Brvcewavne OP t1_iuttiwv wrote

Cool to see others like it, thanks for the link!

mckulty t1_iuu4iiz wrote

Did not expect the Vatican imprimatur on an eBay sale.

joomanburningEH t1_iuurnxn wrote

eBay is where I go for almost everything. Private sellers. Commercial sellers. Industrial sellers. Almost anything I search for, it has. I enjoy buying from private sellers the most, have had some cool interactions. I bought a Hank 3 T-shirt one time and ended up talking to his mom, ex wife of Hank Jr., Gwen Yeargain, about a sizing issue. Hand written thank you notes in cursive from an old lady on the East coast, many more.

mckulty t1_iuusimd wrote

I bought and sold a lot in 1998-2000 and have a bunch of antique technical stuff to sell now that I'm retired.

Is it a still a safe place to sell and get paid?

alanbdee t1_iuy99u3 wrote

I've never had an issue buying things. From what I can tell on /r/scams, usually, scammers will try to pay you through a different app and not PayPal. So just require they pay through PayPal and you're probably fairly safe. For anything large: pickup in person and cash only will stop almost all scams.

isleepinahammock t1_iux5f6j wrote

Ok, back up. What is up with that site? Is that the actual Vatican, if so, why are they running an auction site?

CyanideFlavorAid t1_iuy8qcz wrote

They gotta sell stuff like everyone.

Lots of companies would sell cheap to a middle man who would then have to try to sell to consumers.

For antique items though you lose a lot of the total value doing that because speculators aren't going to risk not being able to sell a stove that weighs as much as a car engine.

YeaSpiderman t1_iuu02r0 wrote

So you bring it wood to heat up a meal? Does it regulate temp well?

Brvcewavne OP t1_iuu0wol wrote

Yeah have to start a fire to cook a meal. It does regulate temp pretty well it has a lever on the back to send the heat out of the chimney or keep it in the oven if you want to bake something.

YeaSpiderman t1_iuu7axn wrote

Do you cook this way every day?

Brvcewavne OP t1_iuua6mm wrote

No it’s in an old 1880s off the grid mining cabin that’s been in my family. This stove was my great great grandmothers

LeamNoran t1_iuuiwxd wrote

Depending on the time of year and location in the house you may never let it go completely out either as they also heat well.

Brvcewavne OP t1_iuuwuoy wrote

It is also used to heat the place. Definitely puts off a good amount of heat

smartid t1_iuw5056 wrote

cast iron home heating is supreme

IFlyOverYourHouse t1_iuv363i wrote

Some act as water heaters too

Brvcewavne OP t1_iuv4u13 wrote

The water heater is on the left hand side. It had a lid and use a pot to scoop hot water out of it

cky_stew t1_ivebuzz wrote

Yeah my inlaws house (in rural UK) runs a rayburn like this stove. They keep it hot all through winter, it's hooked up to the hot water that runs throughout the house. Combined with 2 other fire stoves, that's how the house is heated.

NWO_Eliminator t1_iuutp9h wrote

Cooking on one of these successfully is an art that's nearly gone.

ol-gormsby t1_iuv581j wrote

You might be surprised - there's a LOT of AGAs and Rayburns in the UK.

I'm in Australia, and I've got a wood-burning Rayburn. It's got a boiler so it does our hot water as well. I do about 80% of the cooking on it, the rest on a gas cooktop, and a little bit in a Thermomix.

But it *does* take some getting used to.

Brvcewavne OP t1_iuv81up wrote

It definitely takes some time to get used to cooking on it but once you learn how some things cook much better on it.

This one does have a water reservoir that heats water for us that hangs on the left side. We have to scoop hot water from it and constantly have it full to not ruin the reservoir.

Minotaton t1_iuvereq wrote

I'm in the UK have 2 rayburns, 1 on oil and 1 solid fuel.

ol-gormsby t1_iuvezuc wrote

That's excellent! I'm just sad that the solid-fuel models have been withdrawn :-(

Brvcewavne OP t1_iuuwypi wrote

My grandmother taught me some of her skills and recipes

TechnicianOk6269 t1_iutr3bk wrote

Its wood or coal im assuming?

Brvcewavne OP t1_iutrich wrote

Yeah it’s a wood burning.

BlacklistFC7 t1_iuuhq4w wrote

I can't imagine burning wood to make ramen.

thomasp449 t1_iuukcih wrote

That's why OP has a microwave on the opposite counter.

JayStar1213 t1_iuvi0fy wrote

The microwave is kerosene

Brvcewavne OP t1_iuwhska wrote

Haha pretty close. For coffee and quick things like ramen I use a Coleman propane 2 burner stove.

Brvcewavne OP t1_iuwul96 wrote

The fridge does run off propane

Bignona t1_iuxvhod wrote

A fridge off propane? I've never heard of that. Is it effieat all? I would imagine it would go through propane like mad.

Brvcewavne OP t1_iuy2qo9 wrote

Yeah it just burns a pilot light on the bottom seems to be pretty efficient. Wish I had pictures of it I’ll see if I can dig any up.

BlacklistFC7 t1_iuurt6s wrote

I don't own a microwave and always use a pot to cook ramen lol

PowerandSignal t1_iuuacyz wrote

Yeah, but did you buy it, or forge it from living stone when you carved your home out of the side of a mountain?

Brvcewavne OP t1_iuuayyl wrote

My great great grandmother bought it originally. So truly fits the buy it for life outlived her and will outlive me no problem. The cabin it is in on the other hand was built by hand like real life Lincoln logs

modembutterfly t1_iuu9j0v wrote

There are some Forest Service cabins that have these. Beautiful!

Brvcewavne OP t1_iuuanqw wrote

My cabin is in the middle of forest service land, grandfathered in. Actually pay them annually to run a stream across their land to have running water in the place.

Roflolmfao t1_iuv20vr wrote

Bro you gotta post some pictures of this cabin

Brvcewavne OP t1_iuv3v9h wrote

I will get some pictures uploaded tomorrow! Has a lot of history.

anag9495 t1_iuv121w wrote

r/Vintagekitchentoys would love this, too!

neverheardthatphrase t1_iuw692f wrote

When people ask what kind of stove I had in my college apartment this is what I mean. Literally nobody seems to understand.

celticchrys t1_iuxggz4 wrote

Tell them "wood burning range" and leave them to Google it. Or just keep OP's photo on your phone to show them.

Mofunz t1_iuvn36j wrote

BuyItForLifetimes

Jakkerak t1_iutth5q wrote

Very nice old stove!

aughtism t1_iuu9guc wrote

Stove says 'Hi'.

JamesVirani t1_iuuitfd wrote

Get out of here. Yours looks too new in comparison. /s

Stinky_Fartface t1_iuult17 wrote

How often does this stove get used nowadays?

Brvcewavne OP t1_iuuwxa6 wrote

It is used for about a month a year these days while we are on vacation. Everything works as it should

Stinky_Fartface t1_iuyrd50 wrote

Is it the kind of stove that you just keep it going once it’s up and running? Do you just keep a fire going the month you’re there?

Brvcewavne OP t1_iuysnf8 wrote

No just start a fire nightly during summer to heat the place and/or cook meals on it. During winter you would want to continue adding wood to heat the place

TyrusX t1_iuustxe wrote

we used to have one of this until about 15 years ago. Grilling polenta with cheese on top of it was so good.

[deleted] t1_iuv0iqo wrote

[deleted]

Brvcewavne OP t1_iuv1ymx wrote

Surprisingly not too hot at all. Usually hang wet towels etc to dry out. Can touch/lean against it without getting burnt at all

[deleted] t1_iuv23y6 wrote

[deleted]

Brvcewavne OP t1_iuv471l wrote

Not sure I think some kind of aluminum type metal that doesn’t get as hot.

ol-gormsby t1_iuv5dyl wrote

I've got a Rayburn with a towel rail in the front, like yours. The rail is a loose, rolling fit in the brackets on each side. I think the small contact point means not much heat can transfer from the body of the stove.

Brvcewavne OP t1_iuv8f48 wrote

That is very similar to how this one is so you may be right about the small contact points and no transfer of heat.

Nukemann64 t1_iuwpjmi wrote

What an absolutely beautiful piece of history! I love seeing old things working after a hundred years haha. I got to thinking, I bet that sucker weighs 1200-1500lbs. Can you imagine how many people it would take to move it out of there?

Brvcewavne OP t1_iuwv3u2 wrote

Thank you! It absolutely weighs every bit of that I am sure. It hasn’t been moved since I’ve been alive and likely won’t get moved in my lifetime.

killakurupt t1_iuuqf5b wrote

When Optimus Prime wants a steak.

podrick_pleasure t1_iuvbxod wrote

When I was a kid my friend's grandma had a wood burning stove somewhat like this. I remember her making us biscuits and gravy with it.

Brvcewavne OP t1_iuwirg3 wrote

Biscuits and gravy are definitely a go to meal we cook on it.

8ctopus-prime t1_iuvwcoq wrote

Optimus Prime is back and he's a stove now...

yelruh00 t1_iuwb186 wrote

Metal lasts a long time

leftyblack t1_iuwr9fd wrote

Optimus Prime’s Dad. I’m sure he’s proud.

_Jimmy2times t1_iuwtw4u wrote

With a gated 6 speed manual, no less!

BackgroundSituation8 t1_iuwu4ri wrote

Look nice if it were cleaned but the duct tape strips on the floor leaves little hope

Brvcewavne OP t1_iuwvioi wrote

Haha my family wanted to update the floors but I said leave it gives the place a little character.

Laurus-YT t1_iuwuxp4 wrote

Do you live in Uncle Monty's holiday home?

jtothes4 t1_iuwxsos wrote

Is your neighbor ted kaczynski?

sassy-jassy t1_iux8f80 wrote

Wow growing up my friend had the same one sitting in his kitchen I never thought this was a common thing

anillop t1_iuxcvyq wrote

That looks quite heavy.

t0m0f0 t1_iuxl35j wrote

What type/style is this? Manufacturer? Comparable products available now?

ouie t1_iuyctwy wrote

Oooo nice warming oven option

A very handsome stove

metzgerhass t1_iuv3izh wrote

Do you have to use lead to "black" it? My grandma told me stories about buying blocks of lead or whatever to keep them from rusting

Brvcewavne OP t1_iuv42pv wrote

Haven’t done that before..they may have in the past but have no idea. Doesn’t have any rust on it though

Jake206 t1_ix4ly0k wrote

My grandparent's cabin has one of these in mint condition (they passed away years ago, makes me want to go get it and put it in the hands of someone that will use it.) Lots of fond memories with this! (burning your fingers) haha

5spd4wd t1_iuud7b5 wrote

Restore that sucker!

−1

Faeglantina t1_iuup318 wrote

It’s functioning. It still works.

5spd4wd t1_iuuqwv5 wrote

But it deserves to be made beautiful again.

−4

F-21 t1_iuus1mk wrote

Cleaning it would be a struggle to the point that OP wouldn't ever use it again so he wouldn't need to clean it :)

IMO it does not need any restoration apart from some cleaning.

Brvcewavne OP t1_iuux648 wrote

Yes it is only used slightly every year and this was after about a weeks worth of use and not cleaned at all. Deep cleaning it could probably use but would be a task probably won’t restore it nor would I really know how to even start

5spd4wd t1_iuus75o wrote

The chrome could use some sprucing up.

−2