Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_iwdplhf wrote

[deleted]

F-21 t1_iwmbhj2 wrote

Not quite, Docs were manufactured by many cobblers, Solovair was one of them, and most were located in Northamptonshire, shoe capital of the british empire... Even today the "made in England" Docs are made in the same city but not by Solovair (in another old Docs factory).

Solovairs are better than the new made in england Docs. They're a lot like the classic Docs were. That said, Docs were designed to be cheap for mass manufacturing. They were pretty durable and comfortable but nowhere near as good as old premium boots were. They charge around 200$ for them today, but a large part of that goes towards a lot more expensive UK workers, and a big part goes towards paying for the iconic style of the Docs.

For 200$ you can get better boots like Thursdays. For ~300$ you can get even much better boots like Redwings. And for ~500$-800€ you can find the best of the best.

Thise high end boots will use thicker leather and much stronger construction methods, and will not include materials that degrade much with wear (like, the Docs have a bunch of felt in the sole, it's more comfortable at first compared to e.g. solid leather but it breaks down with wear, meanwhile a solid leather midsole just moulds up to your foot and gets more and more comfortable).

kitzelbunks t1_iwqx4bd wrote

Wow. You kinda went out of your way to be a jerk there. Ok. Great. Platforms? Go for it.

−2

blackdavidcross t1_iwlfijn wrote

Thank you for this!

kitzelbunks t1_iwqz83o wrote

Apparently, there may be better options.. sorry,

Lurker_Since_Forever t1_iww9hw6 wrote

To be clear, since the other commenter kinda didn't say this, if you want docs the right choice at the current time is solovair. It's just that if you go beyond the trendy docs look you can get far better quality boots from other companies for around the same price, and boots that initially cost double or triple what docs cost may end up being cheaper in the bifl sense because they will last for many resoles.

FK506 t1_iwymd6e wrote

I got these and despite the cost they fell apart very quickly. They were just glued together though they did look great. My doc work boots which are built better have lasted years.

kitzelbunks t1_ix1s7xp wrote

Are they older? My old ones always lasted. Someone made some other suggestions down there somewhere. I lost my old ones all in a fire. It’s very discouraging.