Submitted by GrilledCatEggs t3_z39vp3 in BuyItForLife

Hello, I’m looking for suggestions on everyday wear boots that will last for a long time. My only concerns are:

•Will be worn during work, everyday walking, potentially hiking. Protective toes aren’t mandatory but would be a plus.

•Must last longer than say a few months, I don’t intend on beating them up but I want them to withstand occasional physical damage.

•It is warm in the summers where I live so something somewhat breathable would be a plus but not mandatory.

•No budget, I’m willing to splurge if it means they will last a long time.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Cadapult t1_ixkr9hc wrote

r/goodyearwelt is a good starting point.

They have a starter guide breaking down boots at different budgets.

psyche0008 t1_ixmp42y wrote

Have to warn you - you might be going down a rabbit hole and end up with 40 pairs of shoes/boots - but second this.

Velociraptor2018 t1_ixomije wrote

I’ve bought 3 pair this year. So yeah it will hurt your wallet. However if you rotate your shoes, condition/polish them, and use trees the uppers should last a lifetime. All you have to do is get them resoled every few years

Sekshual_Tyranosauce t1_ixksb1t wrote

Nicks Boots. Best thing I own.

Handball_fan t1_ixkxe8u wrote

Yep they have “ no budget “ till they check out the price tag.

IBeTanken t1_ixmo3uv wrote

Only downside is that they are not insulated. In the cold, they get cold. Using thicker socks is fine, till you use your thinner summer ones and the boots dont fit right.

A steel or aluminum toe will make them even colder.

Sekshual_Tyranosauce t1_ixmrjuc wrote

You can get them lined but yeah. Danner makes some insulated boots like their Ft Lewis. And composite toes are probably a nice option for cold environments.

BlarkinsYeah t1_ixp86wz wrote

Absolutely agree. Completely worth the price even if it is higher than others. They’re incredible.

Hussar305 t1_ixkq3gu wrote

I'd say Red Wing Iron Rangers would be the most reasonable BIFL boot available. You can always get it re-soled after the soles wear out. People wills say to buy 2 pairs and alternate them for longevity, as you'll be giving one pair a day to air out between wears.

FluffyDebate5125 t1_ixktax0 wrote

Had a pair for over 6 years, probably wear them 4 or 5 times a week, cold winters in the north, in the desert, in a variety of cities. I’m someone who walks a lot — 20k steps a day, so they’ve been through a lot. I’ve reheeled them twice and resoled them twice. The leather has started to crack a little bit, which might be because I wasn’t diligent enough about brushing them down or because they are just slightly to big for me. Regardless I love them and my pair will probably last me another year or so.

splitsleeve t1_ixlpq85 wrote

These would destroy my feet working. I have a pair of these for dressier occasions, super soles that I wear almost 100% of the time outside of work, and dynaforce for work.

The rangers are durable and look nice- but they feel like walking on concrete, even after an extensive break in period.

Super soles are quiet, super comfortable, and usually last 5-7 years if taken care of.

The dynaforce get destroyed at work and need replaced every year or two- but I work in an environment that eats boots.

All three are resoleable, but I never wear the iron rangers.

Edit: super soles are not rebuildable*

zombienudist t1_ixvmmby wrote

That’s because you need to strengthen your feet. We tend to over cushion our feet and that leads to issues. Add in age, excess weight and our feet take a beating. Cushion is great but it can lead to bad habits in stride that can create further issues. Runners see this when they try and transition to minimal running shoes and the figure out the heel striking they do with a big cushioned shoe they can’t do with in a minimal one. So it changes the way you stride and you are better for that as it shows you the things you can’t do or are only getting away with because you are bubble wrapping your feet.

splitsleeve t1_ixvzdd8 wrote

Interesting.

How would one go about doing so?

For some context, I work 50+ hours/week in boots on concrete, and am barefoot the fast majority of the time otherwise.

zombienudist t1_ixw3erb wrote

Being barefoot doesn’t mean your feet are under load. So people are usually barefoot when at home or just hanging around. So minimal steps at minimal intensity. Our feet evolved to work with minimal covering so cushion does not need to be there. On the flip side cushion tends to allow for bad habits when walking and running as the cushion protects but long term those habits can be bad.

There are many ways to strengthen your feet. But the more time you can spend doing things with intensity in minimal shoes or barefoot can increase foot strength. So getting minimal running shoes and working out in them or running short distances in them and slowly increasing it. But i really think foot health is neglected. I largely wear nothing with cushion and spend much of my days on my feet at 47. Also am a runner and do that in minimal shoes with little to no foot pain. I wouldn’t do a marathon in them but I routinely do 10-15kms at a time in them without issue or foot pain.

ElStig-LePig t1_iyakc8r wrote

Supersoles are resolable(?) I work for Redwing and we send them in all the time for resoles. In fact, I just saw a fresh resole walk out yesterday on a pair of 2231s.

splitsleeve t1_iyaw2b9 wrote

Huh. I was going off of the website that says anything with welt isn't 🤷‍♂️

Good to know. Mine will be due for some soles here in another year or so.

ElStig-LePig t1_iyawzvs wrote

That's funny 😂 I think you misread? 😅 The point of welted footwear is that they're resolable lol. I hope you do resole them!

splitsleeve t1_iyaxep9 wrote

Yep. 100% misread that.

Ha.

I love my supersoles. They're incredibly comfortable and soft to walk in.

ElStig-LePig t1_iyaycpx wrote

I love them too! I really want a pair of 606s for working in :)

splitsleeve t1_iyayl6m wrote

That's what I've got for working around the house!

They're worth every penny.

yepimasian t1_ixmgi8d wrote

If you go with Iron Rangers, cedar shoe trees add to the longevity. They wick away moisture, prevent mold, help the shoe keep it's shape, and prevents the leather from cracking.

Shoes trees and a horsehair brush will go a long way with those boots. Second on rotating boots as well.

I own a few pairs of red wings and advocate for them, but iron rangers aren't the most comfortable even after break in.

For work, I would suggest thorogoods (more budget friendly), nicks, whites (they released a moc toe that's competitively priced).

If you get a moc toe, the white crepe wedge soles do wear down a little faster than a rubber tread sole like the iron rangers, but are far more comfortable. Also, those all these can be resoled relatively easily if you know a decent cobbler.

Edit: Just checked and whites boots currently has a sale until 11/29.

Potential_Wave_3662 t1_ixmoyny wrote

Are they waterproof or at least water-resistant? Because I'm looking for a pair of boots that I could also use in the rain

CapeManiac t1_ixm62cl wrote

USA made Thorogood or Chippewa

gatakabas t1_ixodrdg wrote

I switched from Red Wings to Thorogoods and will never go back. The leather on the Thorogoods seems to be so much more durable.

Vvette45 t1_ixmcy34 wrote

Second this. My made in USA thorogood and Chippewa boots have held up great. I personally prefer thorogood as they are super comfortable wearing all day at work.

1212gatez t1_ixlp9cf wrote

I really like my Blundstones for every day wear.

Ambitious-Hornet9673 t1_ixmpzmd wrote

Yep I live in my blundstones daily from September until May. I wouldn’t recommend them for hiking. But day walking the dogs at the park yes. I prefer an actual hiking boot for hiking.

mildOrWILD65 t1_ixkvnew wrote

So many Red Wing recommendations.

Made. In. China.

Only the Heritage line is made in the U.S.

Edit: or other Asian countries, of which I have no beef. But few are made in America, as their marketing and advertising would lead us to believe.

ElStig-LePig t1_iyal9mm wrote

Not entirely true. They still make all of the supersoles, BRNR XPs, Dynaforces, Traction Treds, Nailseats, and (like you mentioned) Heritage boots in the USA.

That is a good majority, but we vote with our dollar, and the fact that they still offer made in USA boots is a good thing.

But yes, the marketing is slightly deceiving but not as bad as most work boot brands. (Chippewa and Brunts)

Funemployment629 t1_iy0ezlv wrote

Red Wings. Made in USA with American leather by union workers.

ElStig-LePig t1_iyakndk wrote

Saddly, the union was dismantled this year :/

Funemployment629 t1_iyawora wrote

Source? No longer buying if true.

ElStig-LePig t1_iyawuhr wrote

I work for Redwing. Everything made in 2022 so far doesn't have the square on the tag that indicates it was made by the union workforce... in sorry man. It's true.

mildOrWILD65 t1_ixkt3cp wrote

Is there a cobbler in your area? One that makes a living from it? Talk to them. They will know.

CutterNorth t1_ixktoau wrote

I go Redwings when I need a boat to last. I wear them to death and I seem to get 10 to 12 years out of them. I started wearing 8" Super Sole boots decades ago when I was roofing. I only have to replace the insoles. I did have the sole of one develope some problems and start to seperate. I learned that particular sole does not like acids and I had not been careful around muriatic acid.

Jccckkk t1_ixl0pkn wrote

Peter Limmer boots from New Hampshire, not the German made ones. Will last the rest of your life, can be rebuilt.

Shoddy-Amount7448 t1_ixm1kda wrote

Redback made in Australia and indestructible! 10 hrs a day on concrete and oils. And I have had plantar fasciitis for years.

Crafty_Ranger_2917 t1_ixmo0gv wrote

There is no one boot for all activities. Work boots and hiking/walking boots are different beasts. Work boots strong enough to hold up to actual work will not have the proper flexibility, temperature moderation and lightweight construction that you need for walking any kind of distance.

Work: Whites for outdoor, Thorogood for indoor. I have one of each and don't plan on replacing them for at least another 5+ years....have had the Thorogood for 3 years and built a house with them. Have had the Whites for 10+ years with one resole. I don't use either for employment but you're doing some crazy shit if you can't get a year or two out of each, especially the Whites.

Hiking: Pick high end from a quality brand like Vasque, Lowa or Asolo based on conditions you'll most encounter. Keep in mind most all the boot makers make cheap / lower quality models now. A boot for backpacking on rocky steep terrain is a lot different than day hikes in hot country, for example. I've done hikes/scrambles in Alaska and Idaho on craggy rock that would take out any pair in a season or two. I have a pair of low-top hikers that have less support but dry out quickly after romping through water, and have lasted years cause they haven't been used inappropriately.

Finally, IMO you're not going to get breathable and extreme durability together. I'm in Texas now and use the White's instead of Thorogood when it gets hot and I'm not in flip flops, lol.

There are some posts about Iron Rangers. Fine boots but they're not for hiking. Decent for light workshop-type work but won't hold up compared to something like Whites. Check out Whites semi-dress for a better version of similar shape. Jesus I could go on and on, ha.

HondaBob1 t1_iyfejfq wrote

+1 for Asolo. Had a pair of FSN 95's that I daily wore at college for 4 years. Even had them resoled cause they were so good.

Gator_Tail t1_ixn317h wrote

Nicks or whites is the only answer here, assuming you aren’t looking for western or pull on or some other style. I don’t support the iron rangers as they are dress boots that some people tend to work in. They are work boot inspired, not work boots.

theHurtfulTurkey t1_ixkrngf wrote

I wear red wings daily and have only had to replace the pair after a couple years of daily, hard use. They could've lasted more but I had a steel toe bend from an impact and it was a little uncomfortable.

group51 t1_ixmbsq9 wrote

I have a pair of safety boots from wolverine that I love give them a look too for sure

Additional-Tea-5037 t1_ixmi0b2 wrote

US steel boots. Steel toe. I wear them everyday for work (and sometimes on my days off). Great traction and protection. Same pair. Never shined them. They are in incredible condition. It’s been over a year.

brownliquid t1_ixmpnic wrote

Piggybacking on this…and recommendations for winter boots?

rwang4 t1_ixnk726 wrote

Most >$300 welted/stitchdown boots can last you many years if taken care of and get resoles. If you are a laborer, go with the PNW brands (Nicks, Whites, Wesco etc.). If these are just for everyday walking, then everything from Grant Stone or Red Wing to Viberg are fine.

AbnormalAviator t1_ixo0uji wrote

Leather uppers, goodyear welt, and maintained by a local cobbler - you are set for life.

Have Red Wings, probably will never need to replace. But brand is less important than construction. I'd get Daytons if I had to do it again.

nift12 t1_iy1ztog wrote

Have a brother in law who swears by danner. And more comfortable than most according to him

Weak-Conversation753 t1_iy3gevu wrote

Jim Green Razorbacks. I'm wearing mine now, and they are the most comfortable, versatile hiking boot I've ever owned. 2 years in and the soles are still fine, and I walk more that 30 miles a week with them, but since they are goodyear welted, they can be resoled easily.