Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

han-t t1_j63qrq1 wrote

Any wide-mouthed stainless steel bottle? They come in insulated versions as well. Kleen Kanteen and Hydroflask comes to mind.

Verifiedvenuz OP t1_j63ssjk wrote

Wide mouthed, that was the term I was looking for but didn't know

ChucklesDaCuddleCuck t1_j644a13 wrote

LTT, kleen, hydro flask, nalgene, and yeti. I'm sure there's a ton more, but all of those are brands I'd consider bifl.

KitchenLoavers t1_j64fx0c wrote

Zojirushi can be added to that list I believe! (Though I think their thing is 'insulation' not just a standard water bottle)

mittymatrix t1_j6cmi2v wrote

Wouldn’t recommend. There’s way too many crevices and parts to the lids (I’ve used 4 variants).

ChucklesDaCuddleCuck t1_j64g0xj wrote

They make water bottles too?

KitchenLoavers t1_j64htzk wrote

I think they're technically thermoses but essentially just a well insulated water bottle. In the same price range as a kleen kanteen and zojirushi has a good reputation for making quality products so with proper care should be a good BIFL purchase.

I got blocked by the automoderator for posting an Amazon link (not affiliated) so I'm just gonna mention that I searched zojirushi bottle and found some that are specifically water bottles (one touch open) and not the thermos style. Tbh I didn't even know they made those!

[deleted] t1_j64gi97 wrote

[removed]

AutoModerator t1_j64gizv wrote

Hello /u/KitchenLoavers! Your post or comment was removed for using an Amazon Affiliate link or Reference (see Rule 8). You can change the URL and re-post it.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

−1

KitchenLoavers t1_j64gplm wrote

Nope. it's not an affiliate link I just googled the words zojirushi bottle and posted the first search result. I'm far from an Amazon affiliate, I don't even have an account I use my fiance's account, who is also not an affiliate.

That's also rule #7 you're referencing , not 8.

Awesomo12000 t1_j64iv67 wrote

They make inserts for nalgenes that make them "non" wide mouthed. Best of both worlds then

shadomiser t1_j64lsxz wrote

Klean Kanteens are nice. Buy a bottle brush along with it

t-rex-index t1_j63uj3v wrote

I know they are not steel but the nalgene bottles are ultra durable and extremely easy to clean due to the wide mouth and see through plastic.

You can also buy inserts to make the opening smaller for easier drinking that can be quickly removed for cleaning

And it's practically indestructible, at least mine has been so far

death-jazz t1_j640fgj wrote

Yep. I have a Nalgene OTF that is pretty much the only thing I drink water out of. Love the design of the lid too. Easy to carry (just hook it over your pinky if you have your hands full), easy to clean, right size for cup holders or a bike bottle cage and I can trust it 100% to not leak, which is important for someone who puts it in a backpack a lot

t-rex-index t1_j640vbe wrote

Absolutely! I was always fixated on stainless steel bottles (bc plastic bad yada yada) but if you are a bit clumsy like me and drop them once in a while they don't last very long before they become unusable

I've had my nalgene for some years now, abused the hell out of it in various outdoor sports (drops on pointy rocks included) and this thing is just built like a tank haha

hagcel t1_j64f932 wrote

You can hammer clean canteens back to flat on the bottom. Just set the mouth on a piece of wood. (I have a kid who isn't as good at flipping them as he thinks)

schrecentree t1_j63xsyy wrote

Nalgene makes a stainless model as well. They tend to sweat so a neoprene sleeve is preferred. Add a human gear capCAP for easy drinking.

ram_hawklet t1_j63x24g wrote

Yeti gets shit (rightfully) for overpriced products, but their wide mouth water bottles are legitimately really great. Damn near bullet proof (drove off with mine on my car where it slammed on the concrete at speed, whoops), like you are wanting very wide mouth (more than most of the other bottles), and it has a nice big handle on the lid that I personally like. I had hydro flask for a while before the insulation failed (outer wall punctured) but I’ve enjoyed the yeti more

Hunt69Mike t1_j63td8j wrote

I love Owala free sip with the flipping lids

MarvelBishUSA42 t1_j6723zq wrote

Yea I own one and love the 24 oz size because I can hold into it and it’s not too big(although they make bigger sizes I believe) and like the handle too! 😊

devilstang t1_j63rr9y wrote

They make bottle brushes you can clean them with. It’s not that hard.

Verifiedvenuz OP t1_j63rxo9 wrote

Most bottles are really hard to see inside unless they're clear (In which case they're likely plastic)

lasdue t1_j6453pn wrote

I just put a tab of coffee machine cleaner into my stainless steel bottle and fill it with hot water. After a while I pour half off, close the lid and give it a shake. It'll be clean enough after that.

lellywest t1_j63wxzj wrote

Depending on your use case (how rough you plan to be with it) the Lifefactory glass bottles are excellent. Wide mouth, dishwasher safe, multiple lid options, etc.

AJM_1987 t1_j63s7nz wrote

I'm a huge fan of contigo insulated stainless. I have the 20 oz Ashland model, second one I've owned since I left my original at the beach... :-( The mouth is 2" wide which is enough to get a bottle brush into (Dollar Tree baby section FTW, though definitely NOT BIFL LOL). It's also dishwasher safe.

thomask1989 t1_j642n7a wrote

There’s a Dutch brand called Dopper. They have metal and plastic versions of their bottles, there are also insulated versions. You can screw off the bottleneck separately, so it’s really easy to clean. Don’t know if they ship worldwide tho

Tiny-Strain-6400 t1_j63t0fl wrote

Check out Hydroflask, many different options and they are made out of a stainless steel.

beepbeepboop74656 t1_j63zt54 wrote

This one from Stanley! I’ve had mine 5 years it still looks new bonus is it doesn’t tip over and is very well insulated- Stanley The Tough-to-Tip Admiral's Mug

guessimonredditrn t1_j64sxts wrote

Ik you said you like steel but if you don’t mind glass, I adore Lifefactory’s products. Cleans easily, has stayed in same condition since I bought it. No metallic taste or lingering tastes if you put coffee or tea in it once. And even though it’s glass it’s quite durable (I’ve dropped it on the floor a few times and no cracks so far). I’ve had it 9 years I think and no replacements needed yet

NoRefrigerator6162 t1_j63v3e7 wrote

If you have a dishwasher, Neti makes stainless steel insulated bottles that are dishwasher-safe. (I’ve had mine for many years and they hold up very well even with frequent dishwasher visits!)

I also have a Larq and love it, but it is a whole different lifestyle. It has a UV light in the cap that kills everything living in it so you only need to clean it once a month. (I do rigorously rinse it out more than that.). It is, let’s say, an investment piece of a water bottle but it has been worth it to me because I have used it a TON.

0nina t1_j63xr1q wrote

If you have any decent thrift stores around ya, check in regularly til you find one of these mentioned brands - I work at a thrift, I put out heaps of clean, perfect donated contigo, hydro flasks, thermos brand… you could have a BIFL for a couple bucks if ya have the time and patience to hunt!

Just look for a wide mouth, metal or glass interior, with a lid that doesn’t have a ton of funny etchings and grooves - the lid can be the biggest issue to keep clean. I bought a fancy one a while back, but my coffee would get stuck in the lid and develop weird gross plastic-like mold gunk. Wasn’t worth the pain of meticulously cleaning all the time, so my best advice is check for a simple lid! I found a cheaper but quality one that doesn’t have that prob. And if it’s more for water for you, even more so - cuz you won’t notice as easily that it’s getting gunky til it already is…

elcordiplomat t1_j6429em wrote

Yeti bottles are pretty easy to clean since they have a double cap with a small opening to drink out of, but if you unscrew the larger part the whole width of the bottle is accessible. Stainless steel with plastic cap, and the o-rings are easy to remove for cleaning and re-attaching.

Perplexed-Owl t1_j642u33 wrote

I have a Takeya I bought at Costco. Wide mouth stainless. Replaceable tops, also compatible with Hydroflask lids

Seawolfe665 t1_j647v9h wrote

My S'well 16 oz travel mug is wide mouth, steel and double layer insulated. Cleans easy enough and I got it on sale. I know S'well is expensive, but they do last forever.

If you want to upcycle and super easy cleaning, get a protective cover and drinking lid for a wide mouth mason jar.

But bottle brushes! I bought a set for not much on Amazon, and they clean everything. If something looks stained or dodgy I put a denture cleaner tab in overnight.

hmm_oh_okay t1_j64en1s wrote

I use a wide mouth glass mason jar with a solid lid instead of the canning-style two piece lid and band.

It's easy to clean and easy to tell if it is clean (unlike stainless steel).

You can hand wash it depending on hand size or use a bottle brush. You can put it in the dishwasher.

There is no paint to peel, nothing to dent. You can get them in 16oz, 24oz, 32oz, or more.

It costs about $3 per bottle/cap combo. You may end up with extra lids though. The best lids I've found are the Ball brand leak proof plastic lids sold in a six pack for $6-$10.

Stainless solid lids can be found as well but there will be some kind of rubber or silicone gasket piece as well which is just one more piece to clean and can get manky.

Technically they are breakable from a sharp impact but the jars are designed to hold at vacuum pressure for years and I haven't broken one yet. You could probably make or buy a sleeve to protect it even further. But, if the glass does crack or break you can recycle it and replace it for about $1.

PearlCarrico1820 t1_j64eam1 wrote

I love my hydro jug. The lid is plastic, but the bottle is huge and really easy to clean.

LeeisureTime t1_j64nehv wrote

Also depends on what you’re trying to clean…someone mentioned Larq, which is great for bacteria, etc.

But won’t do anything for hard water or even coffee residue.

If you are having residue from other liquids, they have these tablets you can drop in your bottle to clean them or you can use baking soda and vinegar (like grade school science projects). They also sell bottle brushes that fit into the small opening but still scrub the sides and bottoms real well.

But all the widemouthed and insulated options from the other comments are fantastic as well, just wanted to throw in some solutions if you wanted to keep using your old gear

SimpleVegetable5715 t1_j64pjg3 wrote

The Stanley thermoses are very tough, just don't put anything vacuum insulated in the dishwasher, even if it says it's dishwasher safe. It will still greatly reduce the lifespan.

I used Thermoses a lot when I was younger and didn't have as much access to microwaves to heat up my lunch. To get a strong odor out of them, after washing them, fill with warm water and add a teaspoon or two of unscented household bleach. Then put the lid on and shake it to get the bleach into all the grooves, etc. That will disinfect, deodorize, removes coffee and tomato soup stains, etc. I let it sit about 30 minutes then flush it with lot of water until all the bleach smell is gone.

kindoggg t1_j64vmr6 wrote

Wide mouth mason/ball jar. They sell water bottle caps that fit them on Amazon. Then you can stretch a can koozie over the bottom for some insulation and some protection against breakage .

DontReadUsernames t1_j64wfv3 wrote

Depending on what you drink (coffee, tea, etc) anything that leaves a stain on your metal can easily be cleaned once a month or more with some diluted bleach and warm water (I typically just eyeball it, but if you want to measure it out it’s maybe 20:1 water:bleach)

Let sit for 10 minutes and rinse out multiple times with dish soap and scrub as best as you can. It’ll come out brand new just from the bleach soak. The hardest part is getting the bleach scent out, which a couple rinses with dish soap takes care of easily

Bhamcajun t1_j65dbcn wrote

Camelback Chute. I love mine!!!!! I scrub with a brush and stick in the dishwasher every time. I have 5 now. I carry it with me everywhere (I have POTs and have to get a lot of water in my body daily) and it’s a great gift for me.

mittymatrix t1_j6cn726 wrote

I have one of these. Don’t like the cap—smells in under a day of use. Got the Humangear CapCap lid (took out the silicone rings). No spills, similar to Chute lid. Not a fan of the quality of the steel—seems to rust or something easily.

Bhamcajun t1_j6e4ml9 wrote

Oh how strange! I’ve had better luck… not sure why. Good to know about the steel part - I have to stay glass or plastic. I have this bizarre health stuff and steel gets me sometimes.

SchminksMcGee t1_j66s2ih wrote

Ecovessel. Steel interior, even the lid so no plastic touches the liquid. It’s so easy to clean. The water always has that cold fresh taste.

Slipstriker9 t1_j67n8sk wrote

Keen canteen or a wide mouth titanium canteen. I personally would spend the extra on titanium because it will never rust no matter what happens and life is a long time.

Alex_042 t1_j6d7mvx wrote

Blender Bottle?