Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

spambearpig t1_j5pgw73 wrote

I bought a metal ikea bedframe when I left uni and I still have it nearly 20 yrs later. I’ve never seen a reason to replace it. I had to use a staplegun to reapply the fabric to the slats other than that it’s been fine all these years and five houses later.

jamin404 t1_j5pqjgt wrote

We've had a oak frame for about 15 years it's been through 2 house moves with us and is still in perfect condition. We just got from a mass market furniture store in the UK.

Smartman_131 t1_j5pseeg wrote

Look at estate sales, many have furniture that is older (in design too if that matters) but is well built

Searchingforgoodnews t1_j5pz7fz wrote

I have zinus metal bedframe that I bought on Amazon for 130 Canadian 2 years ago. I love it, easy to assemble and you don't need box springs. It was squeaking and I bought a 3 in 1 lubricant and it doesn't squeak anymore. If you're American it's probably 90 to 100 dollars. I really love it. They have many designs too.

5spd4wd t1_j5q2f7b wrote

Weight limits for what? The person sleeping on it? Shipping? I don't know what you mean.

All walk-in bed stores carry metal bed frames. I don't know where the OP is but pick-up or delivery available is from many different stores

−9

emmejm t1_j5q4gqj wrote

For how much weight the frame can hold once constructed. The ones in-store are often cheaper and less sturdy (really low weight limits) than the ones available online only, unless you’re going to a proper furniture store

Complete-Damage9623 t1_j5q6rdp wrote

I have the ikea sagstua bed frame which is metal. It’s about 3 years old and I have taken it apart several times to move. The thing is stable, attractive and I highly recommend it. I purchased it on sale right before covid so it was only $150 for a queen. Now it’s up to $250.

murder-waffle t1_j5qa52c wrote

There are also pressed wood frames from IKEA, we have one and a queen was like $300. It's only 2 years old at this point, but not really showing any signs of wear (besides the cats using it as a scratching post).

00Marvelight00 t1_j5qdms3 wrote

Amish Outlet or any Amish furniture store. Will be more expensive, but they still make solid wood furniture.

Ambitious-Hornet9673 t1_j5qdyir wrote

We have a Zinus metal bed frame from Amazon. It’s built like a tank and surprisingly incredible quality for the price point.

Thoroughly recommend them.

5spd4wd t1_j5qep0c wrote

I think regular mattress stores have a few different grades of metal mattress supports but I'm not positive. I've been using my since at least 1992.

I know that Home Depot, Walmart, Wayfair, Lowe's, Target, et al do.

I've been using the same traditional style since I don't remember how far back and it's the original adustable type on rollers. I've never seen or heard of any weight issues. They come in adjustable lenths and heights. This type:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQCvJlNgWmdpisH4ze0rR9wXQvPLL2msqROW3p9n4yykwGG8EOlWFDBb98R-kS-ofDbq8jyGKICFJ5eys3I1-bfudMY5rCn-ahAAJI-y5g

5spd4wd t1_j5qlr44 wrote

True. My feeling, although I don't have any personal experience, is that a platform bed without a box sping under the mattress would sit too low to be able to get out of comfortably. Especially if a person is heavy, has a bad back, or something like that.

_SoigneWest t1_j5qmbvb wrote

I like Etsy for solid wood stuff. You can find some for under $500. I saw a dark cherry queen platform bed frame for $450 today.

SpecificSkunk t1_j5qtxh3 wrote

I got a solid wood bed frame for a decent price from All Modern and I love it. I just googled it again and they appear to be having a sale on.

Squidman458 t1_j5quo46 wrote

Amish built beds will last 10 lifetimes!

misstuckermax t1_j5quwiz wrote

Ours is Amish made and it’ll last 100 years. Absolutely beautiful. I highly recommend checking that out.

unnamed_goose t1_j5qvqej wrote

I have an iron and brass bedframe from Charles P Rogers that I love, and they also make solid wood furniture too.

One-Conclusion190 t1_j5r1a0x wrote

I buy Amish furniture off Craigslist or Facebook for almost nothing. You could throw it out a 3rd story window and wouldn't hurt it!

veggie_hike t1_j5r2sib wrote

IKEA Neiden is solid wood and dirt cheap, if you’re looking for a budget option

FortWendy69 t1_j5r4r41 wrote

Mines metal ikea and seems pretty sturdy

From memory it was the second cheapest one and it is fabric covered metal

Diotima245 t1_j5r4z5v wrote

I have a Ashleys Furniture bedframe that's been going strong since 2013 lol....

NameIs-Already-Taken t1_j5r502o wrote

I suggest you consider buying a sheet of plywood and using that to replace or reinforce the particle board.

riverseeker13 t1_j5ra2th wrote

Quogga

Edit: thank you, commenter after me for correcting my typo.

Easy to put together, sturdy as HELL!!

Wise-Hamster-288 t1_j5rbq00 wrote

I don't have a recommendation, but just here to say congrats on using the heck out of that headboard.

Turret_Bud t1_j5rdnnp wrote

+1 for quagga designs. They're solid, easy to put together, and pretty cheap in comparison to other brands of similar quality. Only issue is stocking, they are often out of stock, do restock though.

Thelynxer t1_j5rh1dr wrote

You're not going to find too many legit hardwood bed frames for sale in regular stores like The Brick, Sleep Country, Casper, etc. Best bet is buying something used if hardwood is what you want. I was trying for that myself, but ended up finding nothing. So ended up just buying a decent looking frame/headboard that's covered in a nice looking fabric.

If you just want strong, look into platform bed frames. It's stronger than slats, though you're generally limited on style and headboards that will fit.

Turbulent_Ad_6656 t1_j5rhkji wrote

Any large antiques store should have an abundance of solid oak/mahogany for reasonable money

crockdaddyloki t1_j5rjwd0 wrote

Look for local craftsman in the area. If you’re in Milwaukee check out TheGrainsmith. You can get something built for life but it rarely comes from a major company focused on churning out product at the lowest possible cost. Plus you get to support small businesses.

bpwhittle t1_j5rndjs wrote

IKEA’s metal stuff is a much better buy

NoAdministration8006 t1_j5s1bb2 wrote

When my husband and I met, I had a metal framed bed that I'd gotten from Walmart or some such place, and my husband bent it during a session of adult things. When we moved in together, we got a real wood one, possibly plywood, from Amazon and have moved to 3 different homes since then. It has held up very well.

Estate sales have elderly person furniture that's enormous and ornate and Amish furniture is also rather large and quite expensive. If you want something in the minimal or modern or contemporary design styles, just look for anything that's real wood. MDF is code for particle board, so avoid that.

Jenniferinfl t1_j5t7uqh wrote

I bought an adjustable metal frame for around $350 on Wayfair. I doubt it will adjust forever, but the frame is sturdy.

davidm2232 t1_j5tekrw wrote

I have a 30+ year old metal bed frame from walmart. The newer ones look of similar quality. Good, thick angle iron. $60

PM_ME_Dog_PicsPls t1_j5tthcc wrote

The Zinus ones, available on Amazon and probably other places, are pretty nice.

Are they like handcrafted heirlooms? No. But they're not particle board and look and feel nice. Plus they're very inexpensive.

Searchingforgoodnews t1_j5tyt0s wrote

Haha, it was driving me nuts. I tighten the screws and it would still squeak. I sprayed the lubricant at the 4 corners where the metals attached and I sprayed the screws as well. I did this Sunday, as I just found out about this. You can also use WD40 I read, as most people are familiar with that. But I'm very frugal and wanted to save 2 dollars lol so I bought the 3 in 1 silicone lubricant, it worked immediately, not a squeak out of my bed. This is the link, but again as I read online most metal lubricants will work.

SgtEddieWinslow t1_j5ugpq7 wrote

Not sure how handy you are. Built I built my own platform base frame. With a metric fuck tone of storage. With 3 massive drawers on each side. And one at the foot. (King size mattress).

Material was plywood and maple. You could just do it all out of plywood. Cost wise it was maybe 500-600 (Canadian maple dollars), for all material, push to open drawer slides, screws, wood dye (I wanted the maple with a darker colour), and top coat finish.

blitzy122 t1_j5uqcvw wrote

Upvote because it's clearly the best bang-for-your-buck solid wood frame that's available online.

adrianecc t1_j5vr8g6 wrote

I built a bed 2 years ago for my son using Ana White’s free woodworking plans. It was easy to build and is solid as a rock. He’s 11 and will be able to take that bed with him when he leaves on his own one day. The total for the wood and other supplies was about $150. It was easier than expected and it looks nice as well.

PiersPlays t1_j63dd9v wrote

Big solid wooden ones. Get something second-hand and out of fashion cheaply (because if it's for life, who cares if it's currently in vogue, it'll drift in and out over the years.)

scarletphantom t1_j63k72l wrote

Tatami Room! This is the bed i have in honey oak. Built like an absolute tank and rated for 1600lbs. Had it a couple years now and not a creak yet. Only thing is the headboard is a little high so hopefully you have a tall thick mattress. Otherwise you may lose a few pillows. Absolutely love this and would recommend 200%. Also bought two short end tables which are very well made but counter space is very limited. Drawer is very deep though.

rachels666 t1_j67chx9 wrote

i got a 60$$ metal frame they have at bed stores if you ask. then i went to a vintage shop and spent a little more than that on a teak headboard that is sturdy and looks nice.