Submitted by lily_noodlez t3_11w0q9v in Connecticut

Hi guys. I recently just started taking random drives after work to clear my head. Today I drove from Naugatuck through Middlebury, Watertown, and Thomaston. Do you guys have any suggestions on quiet, scenic backroads that I should explore?

Edit: I will compile your suggestions and make a map for each route, along with places to eat along the way. Thank you!!!!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ETL4nubs t1_jcvugc2 wrote

When I had a bike I would go up and down Route 7 specifically Route 4 through Torrington > Route 7 south to Kent > 341 through Warren > 202 through Litchfield.

My other go to was north on Route 8 > Route 20 all the way up to Hartland around the reservoir > 179 > 219 area's.

Radiant-Field2281 t1_jcw85hg wrote

Objectively the correct answer. Near the reservoir has some great hills to go down. Love 20 up there

I'd throw in 41, 128 out in the northwest, and 318 over the Saville at the reservoir.

67 and 63 are also bangers

Tightlines68 t1_jcw432x wrote

My wife says I drive the same way all the time. I do . Route 63 north , left to falls village , south in route 7 to gaylordsville , over the bridge to New Milford green area , 202 all the way back to Litchfield . It’s a loop .

lily_noodlez OP t1_jcw4x13 wrote

Today I realized I also drove a loop, but not on purpose. I drove from Shelton through Monroe, Oxford, Seymour, and Derby, and back to Shelton. I missed a left turn. Feeling unsatisfied, I drove again after having lunch in Naugatuck. I drove through Middlebury and Watertown, and I finally found Taft School. I like to eat out alone (I’m a single 35F), so I like to take mental notes of restaurants or diners along the way.

Tightlines68 t1_jcw5mx1 wrote

I lice a block from Taft , you drove by my house !!!!

Tightlines68 t1_jcw5p96 wrote

Live

lily_noodlez OP t1_jcw60e2 wrote

Cool! Can you recommend good places to eat in Watertown?

Tightlines68 t1_jcxfs03 wrote

Uncommon Grill is fantastic. 16 Straits makes a great burger.

merryone2K t1_jcy1y0m wrote

And once you get your "to go" lunch, there's a little picnic pavilion on Lake Winnemaug, off Lake Winnemaug Road in Watertown. Peaceful, undiscovered gem and no residency requirement.

raekira t1_jcyfeln wrote

The Meat Market makes the best sandwiches and has a ton of ready to go stuff.

Uncommon Grill is delicious, I love their mac and cheese. Haven't had a bad dish yet.

Thai Bowl (BowL is on their sign I think) is pretty good. Not as good as Chiangmai Thai in Naugatuck, but a good second.

Nonna Lucia's has pretty good Italian food but it's a bit pricey for lunch.

timmahfast t1_jcwupqx wrote

Do the loop around Barkhamsted Reservoir and Check out Seville dam. Not much out there but a scenic drive.

Neek_At_Nite t1_jcw7f84 wrote

Litchfield county has a lot of amazing routes which you can ad alot of great stops into. Back roads to the shore are some solid options also

hawt_pawket t1_jcwnhon wrote

I like Rt 146 through Branford and Guilford

amitai94 t1_jcx6nt8 wrote

Litchfield County nuff said

Electronic_Frosting2 t1_jcwcisf wrote

Through Woodbury into mooris and bantam, take painters hill rd. Anywhere in litchfield county is beautiful.

sterlingminuteman t1_jcxoyuv wrote

Rte. 9 South to Rte. 82 connector in East Haddam. Cross the CT river on the swing bridge (Goodspeed Opera House). Follow signs for Gillette Castle, then continue past the castle down to the Ferry slip. You can go round-trip on the ferry to Chester for lunch, nice little village. Continue south on Joshuatown Road to Hamburg, then turn right onto Rte. 156 south through Old Lyme down to 95, then back up Rte. 9 North.

thenisaidbitch t1_jcw9tn9 wrote

There’s a very pretty backroad drive (at least in fall) if you go from Salem to niantic areas

pharm77 t1_jcvzy4a wrote

Take Tranquility Farms road overlooking Quassy and head towards 7 Hills into Watertown

Mentalskllnss t1_jcw0ibj wrote

I love the drive from new Milford to Washington depot. I’m pretty sure it would continue through to Thomaston as well. It’s along route 109. Very hilly but with some beautiful views

lily_noodlez OP t1_jcw1u14 wrote

Thank you for this suggestion! I just looked up Washington Depot and bookmarked a few restaurants to visit.

Mentalskllnss t1_jcw1yx6 wrote

Make sure to stop at the George Washington tavern if it’s not on your list already, food is great!

chrisct625 t1_jcwk68u wrote

Route 169 north from Lisbon to the Mass border is nice is summer and fall.

zebrakate t1_jd003uf wrote

Not a very long drive (like 10-15 mins) but Route 302 from Newtown into Bethel is a nice drive. Always loved doing it super late at night because it feels so dark and creepy.

Kumacoccus t1_jcwtpzk wrote

Comment to save this post. OP is doing what I always want to do since the pandemic. And now I finally get a car.

lily_noodlez OP t1_jcxlhsz wrote

Congrats! Make a really nice, soothing playlist to accompany you when you drive. I usually listen to R&B

a_w_taylor t1_jcxwgjd wrote

I’ve done a lot of exploring since the pandemic as well.

Tough to go wrong in this state as you can be in a scenic area within twenty minutes of every city.

Recent Faves - Rt8 to New Hartford area along the Farmington Fairfield County - Weston thru Redding into Newtown Easton I’ll do a weekly lap

SpoonLord23 t1_jcykam5 wrote

CT 58 (Black Rock Turnpike), specifically starting from the Hi-Ho Hotel, off exit 44 on the Merritt. Ride that up to Bethel, sometimes head to the Saugatuck Reservoir and drive around that.

curbthemeplays t1_jd0lgur wrote

I like: Route 146 through Guilford, Route 148 (Chester), Northrup in Bridgewater and other nearby roads, 67 around Roxbury, 199 Roxbury to Washington, drive around Lake Waramaug. Most of Route 7. I also just like driving along coast from Milford to West Haven. Gulf St is gorgeous at sunset.

Route 53/58 around reservoirs in Redding/Weston.

East Rock and Prospect Hill New Haven has really gorgeous houses to explore. Driving up East Rock Park is really cool when it’s open. East Haddam Swing Bridge is gorgeous. Lots of nice roads around East Haddam and Lyme’s. Gillette Park. Love driving around Fenwick (watch out for golf balls!). Drive around Southport Harbor.