Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

NKevros t1_j6nv3e5 wrote

Yes, they are required.

No, people don't follow this.

I'm not sure if it is really enforced or not. I'd assume it is only enforced as an ancillary fine when being part of a traffic stop or other incident and not something cops actively police for.

jimmy9120 t1_j6oatip wrote

It’s usually only enforced as an added bonus to the main reason why you’re pulled over.

BearLindsay t1_j6og6n2 wrote

Or used as a primary reason to pull you over if you're suspected of doing real nefarious shit, like dealing drugs or driving while black.

LavaGriffin t1_j6p38ap wrote

Both times I purchased a new car in CT, the dealers didn't event screw the front plate on. Drove for a year and a half with the first car before I got a warning for not having it. I threw it up on the dash until my oil change and made the dealer put it on. Doesn't seem like anyone really follows this. Cops in the quiet corner are bored though, so they seem to notice.

fastnsx21 t1_j6o684d wrote

Speed limit on i95 is also 55

Suspicious-One5822 t1_j6o05pd wrote

If you are issued 2 plates then yes you do. A lot of municipal vehicles are only issued one. Its also a law that your plates need to be in the locations they were designed for on the vehicle.

RobbieL241 t1_j6o77z9 wrote

If you were issued two plates from DMV, you must display both. If you were only issued one, then it goes on the rear.

I only received one plate in the mail for my car back in October.

GoobyGrapes t1_j6nvbpj wrote

Yes. A few years ago when my son was two days away from taking his driver's license test, I was informed that he would not be able to take the test with my car if I didn't have a front plate. I hadn't had one in over 10 years, had no idea where it was, and couldn't claim it was lost or damaged to get a replacement. I had to re-register my car and got 2 new plates.

IndicationOver t1_j6nuth0 wrote

Yea I don't do it. Messes up the aesthetic. Only a bored cop will care.

Just telling the truth, same goes for legal tint laws.

TreeEleben t1_j6nzj1w wrote

Yes. Cops will use a missing front plate as a reason to stop you if they can't find anything else you're doing wrong. Otherwise nobody cares.

OldSchoolAF t1_j6o713q wrote

Yes. Was pulled over for it once (no other reason cited, old guy, later model BMW). Put me in a bad mood and I skipped going to Five Guys for dinner on my way home. Went to court with a picture of the front plate on and they dismissed it.

DarkLamont t1_j6nwkz9 wrote

If your vehicle is expensive enough, no. It's only required when police want it to be.

Monkman1221 t1_j6o4l9g wrote

I drove without one since I was 16. I am 22 now , been pulled over for other reasons and was never brought up as an issue

WonderChopstix t1_j6p1juj wrote

They are required if they are issued. The DMV has stopped always issuing two plates. I cannot seem to to understand the rhyme or reason. However the rules state uf you are issued two you must display both. Personally I have been issued 2 plates all but 1 time. It seems silly because how is a cop supposed to know what was issued? Maybe they do I suppose.

andrewhatesyou t1_j6nwofh wrote

Yes, however if you have a car that you’d prefer to not mount a front plate on, you can just throw it onto the dashboard when parking/near cops/etc.

NLCmanure t1_j6o0wjw wrote

that is what I do plus have a brand new mounting bracket. If I get stopped for the missing plate my excuse will be I had to get a new bracket and haven't had the chance to install it. got bracket and plate on the floor in plain sight when I'm out and about.

KaladinsDad t1_j6o1blj wrote

Yes, but certain vehicles might be exempt if the front design prevents them from being mounted (extremely rare)

Also if you have out-of-state plates, front plates are optional.
(common in New London county where military folks are often still out-of-state residents and can maintain their vehicles registered out-of-state. The amount of Hawaii and Florida plates is crazy in Groton.)

RededHaid t1_j6ohhbc wrote

If other states do not require a front plate, it’s hard for a police officer to know if they are seeing a CT car.

Poseylady t1_j6ojdi5 wrote

I originally had one but haven't had it on my car in years and it's been a nonissue. Once a few years ago I got a warning note left on my car when I had it facing out in a parking spot. But I still haven't replaced the front plate and it's never been brought up again. I'm probably jinxing myself and tomorrow I'll get a ticket for no front plate, but I've had a good run!

Jelopuddinpop t1_j6ompej wrote

The overwhelming answer of "yes" is shocking to me. My car doesn't have a place to mount a front plate. What am I supposed to do?

-TwoFiftyTwo- t1_j6pcvn9 wrote

Technically the law says you need both. I've seen dealerships drill literal holes into the front bumper covers of cars to comply with this. Happened to a buddy of mine on his Subaru WRX a few years back.

It's a stupid law.

Jelopuddinpop t1_j6pgnps wrote

I'll pay the potential ticket before I drill into my grill or bumper lmao. Thanks for the heads up.

yesitsreallyme203 t1_j6oujii wrote

I haven’t had one in a year no issues hopefully stays that way because I’m not putting one on car looks better with out it

Luis__FIGO t1_j6ott5t wrote

why didn't you just google this instead of creating a post?

−1