Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

virtualchoirboy OP t1_j8sajst wrote

I believe there are a couple things at play. For highways where there are no left lane entrance ramps, you only have to pay attention to traffic that would come from the right. Add that the far left lane is supposed to be the "fast" lane and people that pop over there immediately are assuming it's going to make their trip easier.

And then they screw it all up by not going with the flow of traffic... :-)

Disgruntasaurus t1_j8z3rwh wrote

It’s supposed to be the passing lane; not the fast lane. That’s the problem. Speed is relative and the common nomenclature for the left lane has been “the fast lane” for a long time now. I can’t stand left lane campers and will go around them if it’s safe to do so but I still don’t camp the left lane myself no matter how fast I think I’m traveling.

Honestly, the worse thing to me is that lazy/incompetent/distracted people blast into the left lane immediately after entering the highway just so they can zone out while they’re operating their oversized vehicles.
Why more people aren’t alarmed at how unaware of their surroundings these campers are boggles my little mind. It’s incredibly selfish and unsafe. Just pay attention to the road for the 20 minutes you’re (not you specifically) driving. Sheesh.